Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GA gets license plate scanners

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I think this is a good thing. I'm not worried since 1) I don't live in Georgia, and most importantly 2) I have nothing to hide. I could care less if they scan my license plate as nothing will come up other than a legally registered car with no warrants. If it catches anyone running illegally registered cars, or stolen cars, or anything like that I'm all for it. Get those illegal cars off the road to make room for the rest of us and catch those criminals.
Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself. I have no problems if they adopt this in VA.
Old 04-12-10, 08:29 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sphy1005
It would actually be good to run the plates to see if the car has insurance too. My brother and I have been hit 4 times the past 8 years with people who have no insurance.
Amen get those without insurance off the road. I got hit by someone without insurance and it was there fault. Sucks.
Old 04-12-10, 01:03 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Most of them already do that if they have the time. Still though, that swapped plate will come up as stolen or invalid since any moron who finds his license plate missing from his car would probably report it and/or get a new one. In my state that means new numbers unless you have personalized plates. Once he gets new plates it should come up as an unregistered license plate. Unless the thief is stupid enough to use his own legit license plate from his car on the car he stole.
In IL, they just steal temporary plates. Sometimes they're registered, sometimes they're not, but they're NEVER reported stolen.
Old 04-12-10, 01:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fewer data entry errors too, I expected this a long time ago.
Old 04-12-10, 02:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
In IL, they just steal temporary plates. Sometimes they're registered, sometimes they're not, but they're NEVER reported stolen.
People should report them. When I had my plate stolen off my car. I went to the DMV after work, told them someone stole it off my car, paid $10 for a new plate, and got them right there. Went to the parking lot and put them on. It was immediately entered into the computer so anyone using my old plates would show up as invalid. I guess it could be harder in other states though. If the steal the paper plates I guess it makes it impossible to track and those criminals will get away with it, but I doubt every single stolen car is using paper temp plates.
Old 04-13-10, 05:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ck6speed
i think this is a good thing. i'm not worried since 1) i don't live in georgia, and most importantly 2) i have nothing to hide. i could care less if they scan my license plate as nothing will come up other than a legally registered car with no warrants. if it catches anyone running illegally registered cars, or stolen cars, or anything like that i'm all for it. Get those illegal cars off the road to make room for the rest of us and catch those criminals.
+1........................
Old 04-13-10, 05:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself. I have no problems if they adopt this in VA.
I'm with you on this one too mmarshall if MD also adopts it.