Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Ridgeline may not return after 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 06:54 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the overall look of the Ridgeline, but I do like the in bed trunk and how the tailgate opens downwards (like a regular pickup) or to the side. Definitely some innovative features.
Old 04-11-10, 07:01 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
SUVs are not a niche Chris. SUVs and trucks make up 50% of the market.

It's ugly and does the usual Honda job of getting V8 MPG with a V6. It's clear it was meant for loyal Honda fans who buy anything no matter how average, substandard or ugly.

The fact is Honda aimed low with the Ridgeline and it failed. Toyota at least aimed high with the Tundra even as it isn't doing as well as planned.
I would agree on the looks and the lack of power. But the concept is good. They should improve on it with a 2nd generation and not just scrap the idea. Just like in an SUV, there is a reason why I bought the unibody RX330 instead of the GS or LX. If anything, Honda made the truck too large. I don't live in the rural middle America so most people I know that have trucks have them mostly as a daily driver. Most of the people I know don't use it as a true work truck.

There are trucks to use as a full time work horse, trucks to be used as a real offroad handler, and then there should be trucks to be used on on the street. Light duty street trucks do have a place just like the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. That is what Honda should have done, or do with the 2nd gen Ridgeline if they continue with it.

If Toyota made an X-Runner DC, I would have bought that instead of the Prerunner and wanting to lower it.
Old 04-11-10, 07:03 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecr527
I don't like the overall look of the Ridgeline, but I do like the in bed trunk and how the tailgate opens downwards (like a regular pickup) or to the side. Definitely some innovative features.
Ridgeline looks and lack of engine power aside, those two features and the fact it handles better than most trucks and rides more like a car is what I like about it as well. Too me, all trucks are plain and ugly anyway, so really the ugly Honda grill isn't so much a deal breaker.
Old 04-12-10, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The fact is Honda aimed low with the Ridgeline and it failed. Toyota at least aimed high with the Tundra even as it isn't doing as well as planned.
Unless I wanted heavy-towing capabilities, I'd get a Ridgeline over the Tundra (or Tacoma) any day of the week. The 2Gen Tundra (and its Sequoia derivative) simply does not impress me with its build quality....I think it's one of Toyota's worst recent efforts. And if I DID need heavy towing, I'd probably look at a domestic full-size pickup first......most likely a Ford. The Ridgeline may be awkward-looking and lack a V8, but it has some clever convienence features, and how many other pickups can say they combine a unibody WITH a separate-ladder-frame? Now THAT's engineering.

I agree, though, that the Ridgeline DID fail in one critical area. Its drivetrain, unlike the 2Gen Tundra's, simply wasn't robust enough for the full-size domestic truck-buyer. But it still compared favorably with other mid-sized, V6 trucks like the Tacoma and Dodge Dakota.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-10 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 09:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless I wanted heavy-towing capabilities, I'd get a Ridgeline over the Tundra (or Tacoma) any day of the week. The 2Gen Tundra (and its Sequoia derivative) simply does not impress me with its build quality....I think it's one of Toyota's worst recent efforts. And if I DID need heavy towing, I'd probably look at a domestic full-size pickup first......most likely a Ford. The Ridgeline may be awkward-looking and lack a V8, but it has some clever convienence features, and how many other pickups can say they combine a unibody WITH a separate-ladder-frame? Now THAT's engineering.

I agree, though, that the Ridgeline DID fail in one critical area. Its drivetrain, unlike the 2Gen Tundra's, simply wasn't robust enough for the full-size domestic truck-buyer. But it still compared favorably with other mid-sized, V6 trucks like the Tacoma and Dodge Dakota.
I would rather ride a Goat or walk on rusty nails Mike

If it got considerably better MPG then I could really understand it. As an example of how poor MPG is look below.

5.3 Avalanche 4wd : 14/19
3.5 Ridgeline awd : 15/20

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg...204WD

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg...204WD

It gets a whopping 1 MPG more than an older, bigger, heavier, more capable Avalanche. That is just sorry engineering.

Old 04-12-10, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I would rather ride a Goat or walk on rusty nails Mike
Well, to some extent, I would too, in the sense that I'm generally not a truck person, and (usually) don't need truck-hauling capabilities. That applies to the Ridgeline as well as any other pickup....but there is no denying the Ridgeline's overall quality.

That's an interesting picture....the first one I've seen with a cargo-bed shell.
Old 04-12-10, 09:42 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
the bed is not big enough to even be considered useful
While I agree that I would prefer a larger bed, it is about the same size as the 5' beds on other light duty, crewcab pickups. The bed is probably a bit bigger than that on my old Avalanche. The trunk is a good addition since everythink I would normally keep in a bed box can be stored in the locked trunk, freeing up the entire bed for cargo. However, the cargo has to be moved / emptied before accessing the trunk.
Old 04-12-10, 10:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Honda/Acura probably should be reviewing continuation of a number of models from a business perspective including RL, ZDX, RDX and Ridgeline.

But regarding the Ridgeline, I know it has many attributes that active suburban homeowners find to be useful.
Old 04-12-10, 10:07 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Yea, but my Tacoma DC has a V6 too? That truck sells like hot cakes. The Ridgeline definitely rides way better and handles a lot better than my Tacoma. What is not to like about that if you are only doing light duty with the truck?
Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the tacoma still a Body On Frame design?

Honda...you can make a truck. That is not a truck. It is a refridgerator on wheels.
Old 04-12-10, 11:27 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
Honda...you can make a truck. That is not a truck. It is a refridgerator on wheels.
They are expanding their lineup of kitchen appliances that started out with the Toaster on Wheels - the Element.
Old 04-12-10, 12:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Come on, even my Cusinart toaster looks better.
Old 04-12-10, 12:29 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

LOL its like when the Scion XB came out, my wife thought it looked like a "Pregnant Roller Skate"
Old 04-12-10, 02:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the tacoma still a Body On Frame design?

It is, and I don't like the handling and the way it drives, thus me wanting to lower it with the Tundra Solutions lowering kit. It is a good truck as far as trucks go though. The reason why I bought it is because for the price you can't beat it. The Ridgeline, no matter how much I like the ride quality and handling would cost well over $30K, perhaps even closer to $40K depending on trim. My 2010 Tocoma DC Prerunner was basically $25K out the door.
Old 04-12-10, 02:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

For looks wise I really don't get it though. From that side profile pic that Mike posted above, it looks like any other truck except for that slanted bed. Wasn't there another Chevy truck that had a slanted bed like that? Anyway, for Generation Two, Honda could simply give it more power, more towing capacity, slightly downsize it, and remove that slanted bed, then it would look like any other double cab truck on the road.
Old 04-12-10, 04:05 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
... Wasn't there another Chevy truck that had a slanted bed like that?...
Chevy Avalanche. I owned an 02. A few weeks ago, I saw a black Avalanche and black Ridgeline parked next to each other - kinda like Me and Mini-Me.

Quick Reply: Honda Ridgeline may not return after 2012