Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Shipping companies

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 03:24 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car Shipping companies

I am looking to get a LS 460L shipped 2500 miles to me...cant decide if I should go with a Open hauler or a closed one...a closed one is a bout 500 bucks more.

Any feedback?would I be fine on a open hauler?

I have never done this before...car would be leaving from New Jersey to Ferndale,Washington

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-10, 03:32 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL we needed to coordinate. I recently bought my LS430 in Bellevue and had it shipped to Michigan. The dealer arranged for an open carrier. The car showed up only somewhat dirty, but I expected that. Plus, it went to the dealer as soon as I licensed it for the 30K service and they washed it.
Old 04-11-10, 03:59 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
LOL we needed to coordinate. I recently bought my LS430 in Bellevue and had it shipped to Michigan. The dealer arranged for an open carrier. The car showed up only somewhat dirty, but I expected that. Plus, it went to the dealer as soon as I licensed it for the 30K service and they washed it.

LOL...so you think open is the way to go?I can only imagine the weather its gonna go through on route..snow?hail?dust?rock chips?hahaha not sure if I should save the extra 500
Old 04-11-10, 06:27 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea the only thing im weary about using the open types are just rockchips...
Old 04-11-10, 08:42 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends.

Its springtime with storms...hail damage etc etc, I would go with closed just because it is cross country...
Old 04-11-10, 08:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Corey140
Depends.

Its springtime with storms...hail damage etc etc, I would go with closed just because it is cross country...
Depends on the route the company takes. If you ask them if they're making a special trip or already loaded and are just filling a spot but you'd have to wait a couple extra days to save some $$ and it heads down south, I'd do that. Can't imagine it's a lot of fun to take 94 and 90 all the way across the country right around now anyway!

I would bet you're the last stop, so I'd also ask if you can be the front car right behind the cab. Chance of getting pelted is pretty slim, and would also reduce the number of times the car goes on and off the truck, limiting the chance of damage, although these are professional companies that carry insurance.

Big Mack
Old 04-13-10, 09:06 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It's an LS460L. Go closed. What is $500 extra compared to what you paid on the car?

Email Intercity for a quote if you haven't already. http://intercitylines.com/

Good guys, the Lotus crowd uses them a lot and I had them lined up to deliver a Lotus from Texas to Florida before the deal on the car fell thru.

I have heard some real stories from open haulers. Be very afraid if the car is important to you. Many of those open hauler guys are animals. The closed hauler guys are generally more careful and sensitive to the needs of higher end customers.

And as a final word of advice, never, EVER, use DAS, or Dependable Auto Shippers.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-10, 09:54 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CleanSC
It's an LS460L. Go closed. What is $500 extra compared to what you paid on the car?

Email Intercity for a quote if you haven't already. http://intercitylines.com/

Good guys, the Lotus crowd uses them a lot and I had them lined up to deliver a Lotus from Texas to Florida before the deal on the car fell thru.

I have heard some real stories from open haulers. Be very afraid if the car is important to you. Many of those open hauler guys are animals. The closed hauler guys are generally more careful and sensitive to the needs of higher end customers.

And as a final word of advice, never, EVER, use DAS, or Dependable Auto Shippers.

Good luck!
I have used InterCity several times to ship cars that I have sold or bought. I have never had any problems with them and their care in shipping is marvellous. I would highly recommend them.
Old 04-13-10, 10:05 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with closed. I used open trailer many times and in most cases cars would arrive dirty, and scratched. Try uship.com
Old 04-13-10, 11:11 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Remember that a lot of the internet car shipping links aren't the actual carriers, they merely arrange for shipment with one of a number of carriers they deal with. I've heard that some do a good job in customer service while others just take the money and leave you on your own in trying to find out where / when your car will arrive.
Old 04-13-10, 12:58 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Buy lots of insurance....drop off at your house or work so that YOU can inspect the car while the driver is there in case you have to report a scratch or whatever.
Old 04-13-10, 02:04 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Wow..thanks everyone...I will try this company.
Old 04-13-10, 02:46 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

I would recommend you visit this site. It contains ratings and reviews of shipping companies and brokers that help to arrange shipping. It goes beyond just reviews to. People who leave feedback also provide how much they paid for the service and whether it was for open or closed transport.

http://www.transportreviews.com/
Old 04-13-10, 04:10 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
I would recommend you visit this site. It contains ratings and reviews of shipping companies and brokers that help to arrange shipping. It goes beyond just reviews to. People who leave feedback also provide how much they paid for the service and whether it was for open or closed transport.

http://www.transportreviews.com/

Thanks for this link...I chose the #1 rated shipper Magic Carpet Auto Transport and booked them for a enclosed hauler for $1515 from New Jersey to Everett,Washington.

Great deal and with a carrier who has the best rating from over 1600 shippers.
Old 04-14-10, 08:39 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

From New Jersey to Everett,Washington for $1550 it's very cheap. Consider the cost of fuel and eclosed hauler.

Quick Reply: Car Shipping companies