Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparison - Mustang V-6 vs. Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Camaro RS vs. Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 05:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Yes actually. The Genesis looks like a solara that went to the Gym.
Yes, wider track, less f/r overhang, lower height, better proportions that a RWD car will have over a FWD typically.
Old 04-12-10, 06:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Yes actually. The Genesis looks like a solara that went to the Gym.
Exactly. I agree 100%.
Old 04-12-10, 07:56 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solara is borderline ugly IMO. If i had to vote the ugliest car in the U.S, Solara would rank top 10 easily. Genesis Coupe is far from being ugly. and i still don't see any similarities except the grill which is pretty common looking grill.

ya'll would be p!ssed if i say GS looks like a last gen sonata too. they are similar, you know?
Old 04-12-10, 08:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In my opinion, Solara isn't ugly, and it was a rather good looking car back in its days.

With that being said, I don't think Genesis coupe looks much anything like a Solara, especially in person. Both cars are generally "slick" but thats about the only similarity.

Genesis coupe was clearly inspired by G37, but in many ways it looks even better than G37. However I don't think it fits well into this comparison, I doubt it will be cross shopped with the other three cars.
Old 04-12-10, 08:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
In my opinion, Solara isn't ugly, and it was a rather good looking car back in its days.

With that being said, I don't think Genesis coupe looks much anything like a Solara, especially in person. Both cars are generally "slick" but thats about the only similarity.

Genesis coupe was clearly inspired by G37, but in many ways it looks even better than G37. However I don't think it fits well into this comparison, I doubt it will be cross shopped with the other three cars.

i loved last gen solara. it was a good looking coupe. i know interior kinda sucked, but exterior looked very good. but the bloated new solara is the ugliest Toyota right now. I don't consider any other Toyota ugly except the Solara.
Old 04-12-10, 08:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think Solara is being made anymore?
Old 04-12-10, 08:25 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

not sure.

i think Coupe should always look better than the Sedan. I don't like the accord sedan, but accord coupe looks good. Solara should look better than Camry. if it doesn't, it should just die.
Old 04-12-10, 08:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think Solara is being made anymore?
2008 was the last production year. Convertibles only.

2007 was the last year for non-convertibles. V6 only.

2006 was the last year the I4 was offered.
Old 04-12-10, 09:08 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

It looks like either a fancier Tiburon or a poor man's G37. I am not all that
impressed by it.

It's the Sonata that looks way more like the Solara to me.
Old 04-12-10, 09:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This comparison is really a waste. Genesis drivers are generally import lovers. They are not cross-shopping Americana Camaros and Mustangs.
Having said that, I am sooooooooooo glad someone finally stepped up and called the Camaro's interior "cartoonish." It's gotten away with misbehaving far too long.
Old 04-13-10, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Having said that, I am sooooooooooo glad someone finally stepped up and called the Camaro's interior "cartoonish." It's gotten away with misbehaving far too long.
Granted, it's not the best-looking interior I've seen, but, except for the oversized, awkward-looking lower-dash *****, I wouldn't call it "Cartoonish". The console-gauges and twin-square primary gauges are a deliberate attempt to go retro (or semi-retro), just like on the Mustang and Challenger.

If you look at the highly-acclaimed 2010 Buick LaCrosse interior, you'll see that, though adding wood-tone trim, it shares its general overall shape with the Camaro's.

Old 04-13-10, 10:07 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Genesis coupe may compete on paper, but I doubt that the majority of "muscle car" shoppers would be cross-shopping against the Genesis coupe. The Nissan Z would seem to be a more natural competitor with the Genesis coupe than the American muscle cars.
It is quite an odd car to throw into the comparison. Would be like taking the same three pony-cars in late 60's/early 70's and throwing an E-type Jag or 240-Z into the mix.

As 'secretaries' cars, they might get cross shopped, but not by the average muscle car buyer.
Old 04-13-10, 10:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This comparison is really a waste. Genesis drivers are generally import lovers. They are not cross-shopping Americana Camaros and Mustangs.
I agree that genesis buyers probably will not look at a camaro. The interior is trash on the camaro. Total joke.
Old 04-13-10, 01:05 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i think Camaro has unique interior design, but it really feels cheap if you sit on it. the plastic they used is really bad. basically the plastics they used can be found on cars that are under 15k. Genesis Coupe doesn't use the best plastic either, but it's better than Camaro's.

from autoblog's observation, new mustang interior is superb. they are saying the fit/finish is Audi territory!

Last edited by joe80; 04-13-10 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 01:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The Camaro's interior looks to be built by PlayMobile. There are a million better interiors out there. The Camaro is not built for a discriminating buyer.

Quick Reply: MT Comparison - Mustang V-6 vs. Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Camaro RS vs. Challenger