Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparison - Mustang V-6 vs. Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Camaro RS vs. Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 09:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YEH
Where were you when Toyota made the cheap, rust-prone tincans during the 1960s-70s?
I never bought a Toyota. I've bought a Lexus and been a proud owner of at least one since 1996. Call it a fancy Toyota or what you want but Toyota and Hyundai started very differently.

Sorry but the new age Hyundai sensationalism is quite funny to me since I owned a Hyundai in the past and I give credit to where they are going but will not go completely overboard as some do.

Coming on a Lexus forum to spout Hyundai/Kia over and over and over is rather odd and a clear observation.

Old 04-14-10, 09:56 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai sensationalism is not funny anymore because I believe Hyundai's will eventually have their Lexus. and Hyundai will be the true threat to become the top seller in the world threatening toyota. it's very obvious IMO. just look at hyundai's product right now and their global sales. and imagine what they can do 5-6 years later. we gonna see plenty of Hyundai luxury brand vs. Lexus very soon. probably sometime this decade. and people will soon forget all about hyundai Excel. that's already 20 years ago.
Old 04-15-10, 08:38 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would place them in the exact same order. The interior of the Camaro and Mustang are rubbish at best. Put a decent interior in the Camaro and the wife would own one tomorrow.
Old 04-15-10, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seriously where were you guys when Hyundai made the Excel and Scoupe?
Don't forget, Mike....a Scoupe won the 1992 Pikes' Peak Hill Climb, a difficult event. But, I agree, for street driving (and everyday reliability) those cars were a POS.
Old 04-15-10, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YEH
Where were you when Toyota made the cheap, rust-prone tincans during the 1960s-70s?
Doing exactly what I still do now, some 40 years later......checking them out and evaluating them.
Old 04-15-10, 09:27 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget, Mike....a Scoupe won the 1992 Pikes' Peak Hill Climb, a difficult event. But, I agree, for street driving (and everyday reliability) those cars were a POS.
Call me an elitist, but I just could not bring myself to drive something called a Scoupe.
Old 04-15-10, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Call me an elitist, but I just could not bring myself to drive something called a Scoupe.
Check out this video:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/hyun...limb_35309.htm
Old 04-15-10, 09:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with Scoupe, Probe, Cavalier, Avenger, Ram, a bit to cartoonish sounding for my taste.
Old 04-15-10, 09:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I have the same problem with Scoupe, Probe, Cavalier, Avenger, Ram, a bit to cartoonish sounding for my taste.
Good recall. Gremlin and Road Runner come to mind too.
Old 04-15-10, 09:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good recall. Gremlin and Road Runner come to mind too.
Beep beep my ***.
Old 04-15-10, 09:53 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I guess nothing can compare to Honda's Life Dunk. It must have been happy hour at the sake bar to have come up with that one.
Old 04-15-10, 11:10 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in europe, they pronounced it, 'Es Cou-Pae'

anyway that video is amazing!
Old 04-15-10, 09:56 PM
LexFather

It was a Turbo damnit cheap, I was young and a complete POS. Its hard for me to think about driving a Hyundai again. Sorry.

Old 04-16-10, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It was a Turbo damnit cheap, I was young and a complete POS. Its hard for me to think about driving a Hyundai again. Sorry.

You also mentioned how you saw for yourself how much Korean products have changed.
Old 04-16-10, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by meowCat
Don't you wanna try out the new Sonata????? Wait till the turbo version comes out and test drive it, just so you can see everything, ride quality and power. Hyundai has changed the game and you know it's not the same as what it used to be, like horrible Scoupe experience you had.

Haven't driven it yet but sitting in it I did like it but wasn't blown away as much as some have hyped it. Its nice in person and now seeing it among the usual Camry's Accords etc it does have its own style now. I might recommend it to others but not for me.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

You also mentioned how you saw for yourself how much Korean products have changed.
I've said it plenty of times I commend them for their change and I am one of the biggest supporters here of what they have accomplished but I am also not blinded to their change.

Ford, GM, Hyundai all sold myself and my family craptastic cars in the past and it would take a lot to buy a new one today even as they have improved. Not when Lexus has been so good to us FROM DAY ONE.

Quick Reply: MT Comparison - Mustang V-6 vs. Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Camaro RS vs. Challenger