Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparison - Mustang V-6 vs. Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Camaro RS vs. Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ford, GM, Hyundai all sold myself and my family craptastic cars in the past and it would take a lot to buy a new one today even as they have improved. Not when Lexus has been so good to us FROM DAY ONE.
I'm agree that old habits, and old impressions, are hard to break. Believe it or not, I once thought that AWD was a waste of money, weight, and fuel. Now I'm sold on it.....especially the Subaru way with the boxer engine and the symmetrical AWD layout.

Ans, yes, I was once afraid of Hyundai products myself, and would not recommend them to others. It took a long time to change my mind, too....but their clearly improved quality did it.
Old 04-16-10, 09:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm agree that old habits, and old impressions, are hard to break. Believe it or not, I once thought that AWD was a waste of money, weight, and fuel. Now I'm sold on it.....especially the Subaru way with the boxer engine and the symmetrical AWD layout.

Ans, yes, I was once afraid of Hyundai products myself, and would not recommend them to others. It took a long time to change my mind, too....but their clearly improved quality did it.
I agree with all points, although I have less appreciation for Subaru and flat 4 engines (and I've driven plenty of them). This is not an ideal configuration for engine smoothness/refinement and/or engine block strength in a 4 cylinder configuration.
Old 04-16-10, 10:57 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was like you 1sick. i drove 1996 Sonata when i was in high school in mid 90's. it really was not a bad car, but it was very embarrassing because my buddies drove 3series, prelude, teg, a4, and etc. i was that kid who drove the junk called hyundai.

i promised myself that i would never ever drive a hyundai ever again. but 12 years later, i'm 100% sold. i own 2 hyundais and most likely my next car will be hyundai again. sonata turbo or genesic coupe. not sure yet.

but i guess it will take years for you to even thinking about buying one because hyundai doesn't have a luxury brand yet.
Old 04-16-10, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree with all points, although I have less appreciation for Subaru and flat 4 engines (and I've driven plenty of them). This is not an ideal configuration for engine smoothness/refinement and/or engine block strength in a 4 cylinder configuration.
Yes, I know boxer engines are often not refined, but, IMO, for several reasons, they make an ideal AWD layout.

As far as engine and block strength goes, many Subie engines go 150-200K miles without any problems, although the widespread head-gasket problem on some of the older N/A 2.5L fours is well-known.
Old 04-16-10, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
i was like you 1sick. i drove 1996 Sonata when i was in high school in mid 90's. it really was not a bad car, but it was very embarrassing because my buddies drove 3series, prelude, teg, a4, and etc. i was that kid who drove the junk called hyundai.
Well, A4s were not exactly reliable in those days either. And what is a "teg"? Never heard of one.

i promised myself that i would never ever drive a hyundai ever again. but 12 years later, i'm 100% sold. i own 2 hyundais and most likely my next car will be hyundai again. sonata turbo or genesic coupe. not sure yet.
Welcome to the world of reality. I've learned, with cars, never to say never. For instance, after the total junk that Detroit did in the late 70s and early 80's, I swore I'd never drive another American-designed car. But the plastic-body Saturns of the 1990's impressed me in several ways.....and turned out reliable.

but i guess it will take years for you to even thinking about buying one because hyundai doesn't have a luxury brand yet.
Just wait a few more months. The Hyundai Equus is (supposedly) on the way. And you can bet that I'm going to review one.
Old 04-16-10, 02:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80

I have clearly moved on and I'm not looking back. Hyundai, Ford, GM all got our money and in return we got crap. We moved to Lexus and we are 110% satisfied. Lexus also continues to produce vehicles to fulfill needs when they expand/wants (hybrids, SUVs, sports cars, sedans etc).

I wish Hyundai the best and again, I think they are doing a great job. Hell will freeze over before I give them my money again .

Old 04-16-10, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hell will freeze over before I give them my money again .
Well........there's always Acura..........

(Just kidding)

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-16-10, 06:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, I saw some comparison between V8 versions of the new Mustang, Challenger and Camaro, and it seems that Challenger and Camaro are making around 400hp/400tq, but the Mustang 5.0 is making 400hp with only 300 torques? Is that right?
Old 04-16-10, 06:37 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Ok, I saw some comparison between V8 versions of the new Mustang, Challenger and Camaro, and it seems that Challenger and Camaro are making around 400hp/400tq, but the Mustang 5.0 is making 400hp with only 300 torques? Is that right?
Doesn't matter, Mustang's still quicker.
Old 04-16-10, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
it seems that Challenger and Camaro are making around 400hp/400tq, but the Mustang 5.0 is making 400hp with only 300 torques? Is that right?
No. Ford's own specs give the new 5.0 412 HP and 390 ft-lbs. of torque. That compares with 425 HP and 420 ft-lbs. in Dodge's much larger 6.1L SRT Hemi.
Old 04-17-10, 02:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Doesn't matter, Mustang's still quicker.
And lighter too.
Old 04-17-10, 03:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Why won't Toyota introduce a sports coupe to put Hyundai in its place?
1. Genesis sales are low (both sedan and coupe combined)

2. History of small sport coupes is not good, they usually start off with fairly strong sales and the sales quickly fade as the car goes out of fashion.

3. Toyota will have its new sport coupe soon enough to compete with more than just the Genesis coupe.
Old 04-17-10, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Why won't Toyota introduce a sports coupe to put Hyundai in its place?

2. History of small sport coupes is not good, they usually start off with fairly strong sales and the sales quickly fade as the car goes out of fashion.
The Scion tC coupe, a Toyota product, seems to have done pretty well, though, as IS-SV notes, not as well now as in the first couple of years. Still, it is the one product Scion has done that actually met its original marketing theme.....getting younger people into Toyota showrooms. the xA, xB, and xD all turned out, for several resons, to be as popular (if not more so) with older folks as well as younger ones, but the tC had (and still has) a clear majority core-buyer group of under-30.

Does the tC, though "put Hyundai in its place"? Obviously, it competed, in both size/price and power level, with the now-discountinued, smaller Hyundai Tiburon, much more so than the larger and more expensive Genesis coupe. But it (apparantly) gave the Tiburon a lot of competition and choked off some potential Tiburon sales, as Hyundai chose not continue it past last year.
Old 04-18-10, 11:36 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

3. Toyota will have its new sport coupe soon enough to compete with more than just the Genesis coupe.

Due soon hopefully in NA(red) and Turbo(white) flavours.
Old 04-18-10, 08:08 PM
YEH
Pole Position

1. Genesis sales are low (both sedan and coupe combined)
The Genesis sedan sales are actually decent (not that far off from the monthly sales of the new M thus far; but the coupe has been a flop (needs more power and a revised grill).

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But it (apparantly) gave the Tiburon a lot of competition and choked off some potential Tiburon sales, as Hyundai chose not continue it past last year.
The Tib was getting long in the tooth and Hyundai smartly decided to drop it while getting the new Tib replacement ready.