Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparison - Mustang V-6 vs. Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Camaro RS vs. Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Post MT Comparison - Mustang V-6 vs. Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Camaro RS vs. Challenger

1st place: Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Track - The only one that looks and feels like a sports car. Surprise, we liked it best.

2nd place: Ford Mustang V-6 - New 3.7 is nearly as quick as last year's 4.6-liter V-8, and more fun to drive, too.

3rd place: Chevrolet Camaro RS - A quick coupe whose weight sacrifices fun and cartoonish cabin compromises comfort.

4th place: Dodge Challenger SE - A yacht trying to keep up with speedboats, but the ride and style are smooth.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._se/index.html

Old 04-12-10, 08:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st place: Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Track - The only one that looks and feels like a sports car.
Um, what??
Old 04-12-10, 08:19 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roflmao... pass some popcorn.
Old 04-12-10, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

1st place: Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Track - The only one that looks and feels like a sports car.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Um, what??
Yes, it means what it says. The chassis/steering on the Genesis 3.8 Track is superb, as is the drivetrain. Drive one and see for yourself. If I were blindfolded, I couldn't tell the general response/feel from many BMWs....and I can say that about very few vehicles.
Old 04-12-10, 08:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw a red genesis coupe on the highway the other day, it looked orgasmic. I wanna test drive it to see how it drives compared to 335.
Old 04-12-10, 08:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, it means what it says. The chassis/steering on the Genesis 3.8 Track is superb, as is the drivetrain. Drive one and see for yourself. If I were blindfolded, I couldn't tell the general response/feel from many BMWs....and I can say that about very few vehicles.
Notice that I bolded the "looks" part. IMO, the Genesis looks LEAST like a sports car and more like a Solara that someone remodeled with a hack saw.
Old 04-12-10, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Notice that I bolded the "looks" part. IMO, the Genesis looks LEAST like a sports car and more like a Solara that someone remodeled with a hack saw.
Well, yes, if you compare it to American retro-styled ponycars, it IS in a different class, style-wise. But the Genesis coupe is still well on the sporty-style side. It sits low, and is rather sleek. It is not actually meant to be an out-and-out sports car like the Mazda Miata or Honda S2000, but a sport coupe...there is a difference.
Old 04-12-10, 09:05 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a strange comparison. It should be between the three pony cars, not with a randomly thrown in Genesis.
Old 04-12-10, 10:14 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

why not? Genesis Coupe competes with those bad boys. RWD, affordable V6? am I missing something here?

i'm not surprised. Gen Coupe won't compete with the v8 monsters, but against v6, it's an awesome ride. Gen Coupe v6 is the best drivers car under 28k IMO.

anyway, mustang homers are going crazy right now.. haha.

Last edited by joe80; 04-12-10 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 10:28 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

comparing Genesis Coupe to Solara is a blasphemy. seriously how in the world do you get Solara from Genesis Coupe?

Genesis Coupe is all business. it's ready to go to work. it's the ultimate affordable track car. If you see Solara in Genesis Coupe then I have nothing else to say. Genesis is the most 'sports' out of those 4. yes, it doesn't look like a muscle car or ever pretend to be one, but Genesis Coupe is as 'sports' as it gets especially with the track package.

Last edited by joe80; 04-12-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 11:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
comparing Genesis Coupe to Solara is a blasphemy. seriously how in the world do you get Solara from Genesis Coupe?

Genesis Coupe is all business. it's ready to go to work. it's the ultimate affordable track car. If you see Solara in Genesis Coupe then I have nothing else to say.
We can agree to disagree, but they look suspiciously similar in my eyes. The front end of each is a lot alike and the rear ends look very similar. The side profile of the Genesis is a bit more hard edged, whereas the Solara is bulbous and soft, but I see plenty of similarites.
Old 04-12-10, 11:20 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

why not? Genesis Coupe competes with those bad boys. RWD, affordable V6? am I missing something here?

i'm not surprised. Gen Coupe won't compete with the v8 monsters, but against v6, it's an awesome ride. Gen Coupe v6 is the best drivers car under 28k IMO.

anyway, mustang homers are going crazy right now.. haha.

I believe Mazda would have something to say about that. I'd like to think Toyota will soon be shouting too.
Old 04-12-10, 11:38 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MR_F1
roflmao... pass some popcorn.
I pi--ed myself when I saw that... absolutely classic!!

I miss Mike...

OT... review commentary makes no sense... oh yeah, it's MT...
Old 04-12-10, 11:48 AM
LexFather

Genesis Coupe is all business. it's ready to go to work. it's the ultimate affordable track car. If you see Solara in Genesis Coupe then I have nothing else to say. Genesis is the most 'sports' out of those 4. yes, it doesn't look like a muscle car or ever pretend to be one, but Genesis Coupe is as 'sports' as it gets especially with the track package.
He said "look" and that is his opinion. He didn't mention anything about the way it drove. Please stop looking for an argument when one disagrees or doesn't fap/fawn of a Hyundai/Kia.

Old 04-12-10, 01:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Clean-sheet, international-sized and more sophisticated car makes sense as the winner that's not pretending to be a pony car. Individual preferences will determine actual sales winners.

Quick Reply: MT Comparison - Mustang V-6 vs. Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. Camaro RS vs. Challenger