Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

McLaren: Bugatti Veyron is "a complete piece of junk"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 03:12 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't think it's a junk, but i never liked the design of veyron.
Old 04-12-10, 03:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe80
i don't think it's a junk, but i never liked the design of veyron.
I've only seen one up close, I don't care for the design/styling.
Old 04-12-10, 04:07 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The quote that started this thread provides insight toward the long term success (failure) of these folks.

When I first saw the car, I said to myself, a fabulous machine that was created by a bunch of tech guys. This is evidenced by a name that surely was never passed by a woman for review.

When a senior manager rips a competitor instead of communicating the strengths and successes of the existing folks while differentiating his own offering, he shows an immaturity that is not going to help him get through tough days.

To me V Dub used the Veyron exercise to prove a point regarding what can be done. Dissing it gets nothing done. The guy's efforts would be better spent in getting a dealer network together. Does he think none of his potential dealers will have ties to V Dub?
Old 04-12-10, 04:56 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

A piece of junk ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cyk9mQWM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhDtFQU3ZFc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bUwwxZOcnE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8rGSafyC_g

Last edited by Mr Bond; 04-12-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 05:01 PM
blake0387
Driver

Surely this is a joke...ahem.

Last edited by blake0387; 04-12-10 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 08:41 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Complete piece of junk is harsh, but it is completely hideous for sure...
Old 04-12-10, 11:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I keep waiting for a sassy retort from VW. Maybe tomorrow...
Old 04-12-10, 11:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Another ridiculous comment from Ron Dennis .

Years ago when he was part of the McLaren F1 team, he made some pretty ridiculous comments, but this is arguably one of the most ridiculous comments he's ever made.

I guess he's just bitter and envious that in many performance metrics a Veyron can keep up with an F1. This is considering the fact the Veyron is not dangerous in rainy or snowy conditions like the F1 is, that sitting in a Veyron is like sitting in a luxurious living room while sitting in an F1 is like sitting on a park bench.

There is a night and day difference between the Veyron and F1 in terms of luxury, craftsmanship, refinement, ease of driving, and drivability in various conditions yet the performance of both is similar. That is a remarkable achievement for the Veyron.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The quote that started this thread provides insight toward the long term success (failure) of these folks.

When I first saw the car, I said to myself, a fabulous machine that was created by a bunch of tech guys. This is evidenced by a name that surely was never passed by a woman for review.

When a senior manager rips a competitor instead of communicating the strengths and successes of the existing folks while differentiating his own offering, he shows an immaturity that is not going to help him get through tough days.

To me V Dub used the Veyron exercise to prove a point regarding what can be done. Dissing it gets nothing done. The guy's efforts would be better spent in getting a dealer network together. Does he think none of his potential dealers will have ties to V Dub?
Exactly.
Old 04-12-10, 11:26 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the veyron and its literally unmatched performance (for production cars) just trolled the **** out of Ron Dennis and Ron Dennis took the bait.

That guy is so mad at the veyron.... it hurts (because I'm laughing so hard)
Old 04-13-10, 07:35 AM
Milla...

Ehh he actually sounds like a hater...That or he read 50cent's book "100 ways to start beef, get some buzz and move mad units".
Old 04-13-10, 07:48 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

i dunno about being a complete piece of junk, but i do like the mclaren better than the veyron
Old 04-13-10, 08:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

The story actually goes like this....the Veyron concept was being shown and the press asked Pierch how much power he had....he replied

"1,000"

To which the engineering department, fainted, then got drunk. Pierch said publically it will have 1,000 hp so they had to give it 1,000hp and it was one of the reasons it took so long to build.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I keep waiting for a sassy retort from VW. Maybe tomorrow...
I've been waiting too

Originally Posted by carLx
Looks like the veyron and its literally unmatched performance (for production cars) just trolled the **** out of Ron Dennis and Ron Dennis took the bait.

That guy is so mad at the veyron.... it hurts (because I'm laughing so hard)

Purists like McLaren won't ever like things like the Bugatti or even their own SLR. I remember reading how Gordan Murray and others hated the project as it "had to be a Benz" so it was heavy, complicated etc, all things not McLaren..

I have to admit his statement does sound hateful and ridiculous b/c no matter what the Veyron is amazing engineering.

Old 04-13-10, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Purists like McLaren won't ever like things like the Bugatti or even their own SLR. I remember reading how Gordan Murray and others hated the project as it "had to be a Benz" so it was heavy, complicated etc, all things not McLaren..

I have to admit his statement does sound hateful and ridiculous b/c no matter what the Veyron is amazing engineering.
this is the single ultimate post about this topic. to me i can pretty much say the two cars are very different for different people, one about performance purist, and one about tech packages. from performance purist point of view, the veyron is close to as much as a car that you don't want, and the f1 is your dream car. otherwise the f1 might be a bit way too bland for you.
Old 04-13-10, 01:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If he bad mouths the Veyron it shows his insecurity in his own designs and total ignorance. Makes him seem childish
Old 04-13-10, 03:00 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If he bad mouths the Veyron it shows his insecurity in his own designs and total ignorance. Makes him seem childish
Ron Dennis does not design cars. He is quite the **** in fact. Miss him on the F1 grid.

Quick Reply: McLaren: Bugatti Veyron is "a complete piece of junk"