Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Audi U.S. sales suffering due to supply shortage

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 11:26 AM
LexFather

Post Report: Audi U.S. sales suffering due to supply shortage

Having driven a S6 this weekend I can attest to this. Audi is lacking inventory and there is demand for their vehicles.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/0...rtage/

There are good problems and there are bad problems. Audi dealers across the U.S. are having trouble selling vehicles, but not because of uncompetitive product or industry-wide sales woes. Automotive News reports the reason for Audi's sales troubles have everything to do with a supply shortage that stems from strong first quarter sales. Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen reportedly told AN that U.S. dealers are "short of everything," with Q5 and Q7 supplies running especially low.

Last year, Audi cut U.S. deliveries by 6,000 units due to weak sales here in the States, but the German luxury automaker saw brisk sales in December followed by a first quarter that bested the first three months of 2009 by 35 percent. Audi now has a 29 day supply of product for U.S. dealers; about half the typical 60 day reserve and a third of the 88 day supply of March, 2009. De Nysschen says Audi has allotted an additional 3,000 vehicles to the U.S. for 2010, which should help dealers a bit. That said, we're thinking Audi isn't looking to beef up inventories too much considering the fact that the Four-Ringed automaker managed to keep incentives in check at a time when other automakers are dumping truckloads of cash on the hood to boost their sales.

Old 04-12-10, 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very good sign for them. though it's kind of funny. last year they said they supply was low coz' they are not into numbers, but they want to control the supply more on the "low" side to maintain the price

now they see the sales boost and say they are in great demand and are going to send in more cars

but overall, a good thing more audis are being sold!!
Old 04-12-10, 11:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I fully believe this. Since when is having a 29 day supply of vehicles a "shortage" ?

Having a 15 day supply, now that's a shortage. 29 day supply however, I believe Lexus inventory is somewhere in that range, and usually has been in that range for years.

I pass by my local Audi dealership frequently and see plenty of new Audis on the lot. Maybe it's different in the US, but still.

Besides, if demand really is that strong, and there is a supply shortage, then this is nobody's fault but Audi's for not quickly keeping up with demand.
Old 04-13-10, 10:47 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good news for Audi.... i think if they met their goal for sales... they shouldn't really worry about meating those demands.. i believe this will keep the price up and brand strong.
Old 04-13-10, 10:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would like to know what cars they are selling because I only see them on the East coast. They look great but are generally a pain in the ***. My best friend always buys Audis. I think he has had 5 in a row over the past 8 years and they were always breaking down. To make matters worse it always seems to be electrical stuff . That just makes it a bigger nightmare
Old 04-13-10, 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would like to know what cars they are selling because I only see them on the East coast. They look great but are generally a pain in the ***. My best friend always buys Audis. I think he has had 5 in a row over the past 8 years and they were always breaking down. To make matters worse it always seems to be electrical stuff . That just makes it a bigger nightmare
look at the sales thread each month and you will see. i most definitely see a growing population of audi around
Old 04-13-10, 11:36 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I gues you are right....I just looked at an article on autoblog stating that Audi beat Mercedes in sales for Q1 but BMW still leads.
Old 04-13-10, 11:39 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just in Chicago, seen a TON Audi's, was shocked.
Old 04-13-10, 12:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi's are selling well in bay area (northern CA), especially in last 2 years.
Old 04-13-10, 05:43 PM
LexFather

I think its a good problem but in hearing from Audi salespeople they are pissed b/c this makes it hard for them to sell cars and make money and then people don't wait and buy something else.

For instance waiting for a S4 or R8 is one thing but not being able to find a basic A4 or Q5 is ridiculous.

They made great gains in image and desirability but need to have the product ready for people to buy!!

GO Audi!!

Old 04-13-10, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

Is that 5 NEW Audis in 8 years...or previously-owned ones? If he went through 5 brand-new ones, all with elecrical problems, you'd think he would have learned by now.

(That, BTW, is why, except for the well-done Saturns in the 90s, I gave up on American-designed vehicles in 1984...repeat ownership and poor reliability; in some cases VERY poor).

However, according to Consumer Reports, Audi models in general, especially the A4, seem to be showing a slow but steady improvemant in reliability. They are still, of course, well below a number of Japanese brands.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 06:31 PM
un4given
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm not sure I fully believe this. Since when is having a 29 day supply of vehicles a "shortage" ?

Having a 15 day supply, now that's a shortage. 29 day supply however, I believe Lexus inventory is somewhere in that range, and usually has been in that range for years.
Industry standard is close to 60 days. That is a healthy inventory.
Old 04-13-10, 08:41 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

I was always iffy on buying an Audi due to its complaints about electrical problems. However, I'm sure they're getting better and much nicer thus I went to Audi route. Just hope I don't regret it, but so far so good. Loving everything about it.