Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In The Market For A New Car: 328i Coupe or IS350

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 05:40 PM
Bynumite
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In The Market For A New Car: 328i Coupe or IS350

Hello all, I just recently got into an unfortunate car accident resulting in insurance claiming my 07 IS250 as total loss. In compensation, they are giving me $25000 for the car. That is probably how much I would have gotten if I had sold the car before the accident anyway. I'm trying to make a good situation out of a bad one and have been looking for another car asap.

The cars I was originally looking at:
'06 Lexus IS350
'07 BMW 328i Coupe
Infiniti G37 (test drove, very nice, but out of price range)
'04 BMW M3 (nice but too much mileage and outdated feel)
'07 Audi A4 (farshot, personally I think its ugly)
'07 BMW 335i Sedan (personally prefer the look of the coupe)

I've pretty much narrowed my list down to the IS350 and the 328i Coupe.

Reasoning: I had an exhaust/intake installed on my (totalled) IS250, and I took it out before giving it up to insurance. If I were to get the IS350, I can simply put on my old parts. Plus it has 100 more hp and I still love the look of that car.

On the other hand, I figured this is my opportunity to perhaps get a different car. The Bimmer came to mind because I heard great things about it. BMW (supposedly) has a strong reputation and I've heard others tell me that "there's nothing like being behind the wheel of a BMW." I wanted the 335i coupe, but that is out of my price range so I'll have to settle for the 328i. The 335i Sedan is a far 3rd choice for me, becuase I'd prefer the coupe.

Finally, a lot of you guys (and girls) may have much more knowledge about cars than I do. I was hoping someone having experience with either (or both) of those cars would help me out by providing useful input/tips/advice?
Also, any other recommendations other than those listed above would be welcome. I plan on test driving the two cars before making my decision but would welcome any advice in addition. (I'm in the market for a used car, because buying a new car with $25000 would be a downgrade from the IS250. Also, I am not going to finance.) Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-10, 05:51 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

BMW has a strong performance reputation that they have rightfully earned. It's in the reliability department and fit and finish after 5 years and 60,000 miles or so that the Lexus is superior.

I have tried many times to convince myself to buy a BMW but Consumer reports, my friend who was a Pre-Delivery inspector at a BMW dealership, and another friend's Dad who is a Master Mechanic, and reading through the BMW forums have (so far) conspired to prevent me from doing so.

Hands down I would most certainly and without a shadow of a doubt pick the IS350 over the 328i, 330, or 335 for that matter.
Old 04-12-10, 05:55 PM
Bynumite
Rookie

Thanks for your input, I'll keep that in mind. I would also like to add that I understand the large power difference between the IS350 and the 328i coupe. However, power is only an additional bonus to me after comfort and driving ability. Keep in mind, that I do not want to go over $25K
Old 04-12-10, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If they are totalling your car at 25K, yes, that's a LOT of damage. I agree...with that much damage, I wouldn't even bother trying to get it fixed; totalled or not. Take the money from your insurance and replace the car.

First, before you go the used-car route, if you liked your previous IS250, brand-new, manual-transmission 2010 RWD models start at just over 32K. If you are willing to forgo options and settle for a base model, you might (?) be able to talk the dealership, with bargaining, down under 30K. That means you could (possibly) replace your three-year-old IS250 with a brand-new one, with a fresh warranty, for only $5000 or less (plus your 25K check)...a pretty good deal, IMO. If you want automatic (as many buyers do) or major options, then, of course it will run some more.

If that is out of the question or you don't want to do it, then, for reliability, go with the IS350 or G37. But, if top-notch reliability is not the main issue, as a superb drivers' coupe, it's hard to beat the 335i. I can't say enough about the superb way it drives, accelerates, handles, steers, and brakes. I've driven both the 335 and M3, and I think that for regular street driving, the 335 is overall a far better deal, dollar-for-dollar, though the M3, of course, is better on a track. The 335 also comes in an xi AWD version for bad-weather use. Fuel pumps, however, and electrical systems have been an issue on many BMWs.

If bad weather is an issue (though it probably won't be if you live or drive in many areas of CA outside of the mountains), then check out the Audi Quattro. They aren't quite as superb-telepathic in the steering department or as pleasant to drive, however (IMO), as a 335 (though still close), but the VW/Audi DSG/S-Tronic gearbox, if you can find one, is superb....better then BMW transmissions. The Quattro AWD system is also better-engineered and more proven than the BMW AWD systems. Audi's interiors, of course are first-rate...they have a long-reputation for that.

The G37, BTW, also offers an AWD option.......if the G37 is out of your price range, look at a slightly older G35.
Old 04-12-10, 06:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think what Mmarshall is saying here makes a lot of sense. With 25k check in your hands, plus another 5-10k, you can have a brand new car that is pretty much equal to your IS250, and the warranty and peace of mind that comes with a new car.

A friend of mine recently bought a brand new G37x sedan for 32k, and the MSRP on it was 38k.
Old 04-12-10, 07:09 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I vote used 335i, I saw one on autotrader near my house for 26k w/40k miles and 6sp. I probably would have taken a serious look at it but I have decided my next car is gonna be a c5 z06.
Old 04-12-10, 07:38 PM
Bynumite
Rookie

I want to make a couple clarifications. My car was totalled and insurance said the repair was $12000, but they are giving me $25000 for it. But thats besides the point. A few of you mentioned the 335 coupe and G37. Thanks for the input, but I have already stated that those two are well above my price range and I do not wish to go over the $25K limit. The 335 coupes I have seen were around 33K and the G37 29-31K. Also, I do not want a brand new car, rather I see this as an opportunity for me to upgrade from my IS250 and get a better car. Getting a used car will help me achieve this. I considered using sites like autotrader and edmunds, however, I'd rather get one at a dealership for at least the certification and limited warranty.

With that said, thanks for the input. I may sound a little picky, but I think it is important to be picky when choosing a car.
Old 04-12-10, 07:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'd vote IS350 if you wanted to continue with the IS line-up. Frankly I can't stand BMW interiors, waaayyy to bland for what you pay for.
Old 04-12-10, 07:51 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i would buy a bimmer.
Old 04-12-10, 07:55 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a year ago, I traded in my wifes 2006 IS250AWD for a 2008 IS350. The performance you will gain is huge....plus the sport pkg improved the handling and road feel. I too have driven several BMW's including a 335 sedan, owned a 2000 328, and currently my parents own a 2002 330 Convert. I will admit the BMW handles a bit better with a steering feel thats tough to rival. The interiors on the Lexus are much better though. I would say go for a used IS350 considering you obviously like them to begin with, and trust me, you will be grinning the first time you nail the gas
Old 04-12-10, 07:56 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bynumite
I want to make a couple clarifications. My car was totalled and insurance said the repair was $12000, but they are giving me $25000 for it. But thats besides the point. A few of you mentioned the 335 coupe and G37. Thanks for the input, but I have already stated that those two are well above my price range and I do not wish to go over the $25K limit. The 335 coupes I have seen were around 33K and the G37 29-31K. Also, I do not want a brand new car, rather I see this as an opportunity for me to upgrade from my IS250 and get a better car. Getting a used car will help me achieve this. I considered using sites like autotrader and edmunds, however, I'd rather get one at a dealership for at least the certification and limited warranty.

With that said, thanks for the input. I may sound a little picky, but I think it is important to be picky when choosing a car.
A lots been said of the G37 on here, but what about a used G35? Same body style slightly less powerful engine and way cheaper on the used market.

Aside from that you have quite a few options in your price range. German luxury cars tend to depreciate faster than Lexus, so you could probably get a newish C class in your price range, and as you've already mentioned you can get a 3 series.

Steer clear of Audi's because they have the worse reliability of the bunch.

You can use tools such as Edmunds and Autotrader to also search certified used cars as well, so you should definitely try that. With certified used cars as you probably already know you get the full inspection and a warranty on the car.
Old 04-12-10, 08:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well out of the 328 vs IS350 I would get the IS. The 328 coupe look great and steering/handling are nice, but IS350 looks pretty darn good itself, and rides/handles comparably to the the bimmer, but its engine just puts it in a whole different league.
Old 04-12-10, 08:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

An F-Sport sway bar would help improve handling too. Probably one of the best bang for your buck in terms of modding the IS
Old 04-12-10, 08:38 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a different car the IS350 is to similar to the IS250.
Old 04-12-10, 10:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

BWM's and most German cars are not good longterm investments. They are expensive to maintain and reliability is spotty. The only way I'd do it would be brand new, under warranty, and leased.

Quick Reply: In The Market For A New Car: 328i Coupe or IS350