Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well CL...I pulled the trigger today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 06:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Well CL...I pulled the trigger today...**UPDATE-TEASER ON PG 2!**

**Update**

Wheels came in today, wifey took a pic for me, it is on Pg 2!

After going back and forth and 10 million ways around it...I pulled the trigger on my very first set of aftermarket wheels EVER today.

This is the start of a BEAUTIFUL thing

Sport Edition CE in Bright Satin (Gunmetal) finish, with Machined Lip.

Specs are as follows:

Wheel Size: 17x7.5
Offset: 48mm
Backspacing: 6.14"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114.3
Rec. Tire Size: 215/45-17
Weight: 21.8lbs.

Total price OTD was $447.11, including all nessecary installation hardware (hub rings, and 20 nickel plated locking lugnuts).

Tires are next. Whatya think?!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-16-10 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Title change/UPDATE
Old 04-12-10, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congragulations, Josh. Make sure, though, that your insurance policy, particularly on the Comprehensive part, will cover them (policies don't always cover aftermarket stuff). Not only are aftermarket wheels often stolen (I've seen it happen a few times, even in my own neighborhood) but, of course, are also susceptible to damage from road debris and salt.

Tires are next. Whatya think?!
Whatever brand you choose (given an after-market choice, I usually get Michelins), and type you choose (for most regular driving, all-seasons, IMO, are a good compromise), make sure that the tire's outside-rolling diameter is as close to factory-stock as possible. That will minimize the chances you will have of inaccurate speedometer/odometer readings. Generally, all else equal, the larger the outside-diameter of thge tire is, the slower it will roll in comparison to the car's actual road-speed, and the lower the speedometer/odometer will read.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-10 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 06:55 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good, seems like a good deal too

Make sure you get em cover in case of any damages from the road.
Old 04-12-10, 07:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very nicely styled wheel, congrats.

1. Modern wheel locks will pretty much eliminate the theft problem, they are very effective.

2. For something useful about tire sizing (it's an Excel worksheet that includes a few examples), I'll give you a tire size calculator. Just type in tire size in green shaded areas (for both your OEM tire size and your aftermarket tire size), and it will show you rolling diameters for comparison purposes.

3. For selecting tires, the TIRE RACK reviews and C&D tire tests are very helpful and go beyond selecting just based on a brand name.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
tiresize CL.xls (29.5 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-12-10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 07:02 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations, Josh. Make sure, though, that your insurance policy, particularly on the Comprehensive part, will cover them (policies don't always cover aftermarket stuff). Not only are aftermarket wheels often stolen (I've seen it happen a few times, even in my own neighborhood) but, of course, are also susceptible to damage from road debris and salt.

Whatever brand you choose (given an after-market choice, I usually get Michelins), and type you choose (for most regular driving, all-seasons, IMO, are a good compromise), make sure that the tire's outside-rolling diameter is as close to factory-stock as possible. That will minimize the chances you will have of inaccurate speedometer/odometer readings. Generally, all else equal, the larger the outside-diameter of thge tire is, the slower it will roll in comparison to the car's actual road-speed, and the lower the speedometer/odometer will read.

ahhhaaaa Already called the insurance co. They are tracking...and the car is still at home in the garage on jackstands. I havent even gotten home yet! LOL.

I want a decent looking tire that is quiet. One of the reasons I went with a 17" wheel instead of 18's was ride quality, and the knowledge that you cannot get a quiet ride in a Honda civic with an 18" tire...doesnt work

Ohh boy I am tickled pink!

Originally Posted by mikez
Looks good, seems like a good deal too

Make sure you get em cover in case of any damages from the road.
Yes, already done.

Salt is no worry. These boys are COMING OFF for winter. The factory alloys will go back on for WA winters. WA does not use salt from what I understand anyway. So we are ok there.

As far as tires go, i really just want quiet, good looking tires. I dont need to turn fast, or accelerate like a rocket (lets face it, a bottle of pepsi has more displacement than my engine, so I am not going anywhere fast anyway )...I am simply looking to look good. If the price is decent, then I dont care about treadwear either. Because they will be a seasonal tire (removed in winter), even a 20k treadwear will last nearly 2 years.

Its also important to note: Camber correction kits and Coilovers are next...and the car will have the 16" alloys put back on for road trips. 45 series tires will SUCK on the interstate w/coils.
Old 04-12-10, 07:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 All season. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

The reason I like these so much, is because they have whats called a "rim recess" that protects your rim against curb damage. It really helps.

Also, with aftermarket rims, I recommend you buy at least five of them. Chances are, one day you're going to damage one or more of them, and the manufacturer will have discontinued this particular series, and then your SOL. You will have to either buy all four new rims, or get a different replacement for the damaged one. The nice thing about OEM rims, is that you can pretty much buy a single replacement rim even after the car is no longer in production.
Old 04-12-10, 07:11 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Och
I recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 All season. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

The reason I like these so much, is because they have whats called a "rim recess" that protects your rim against curb damage. It really helps.

Also, with aftermarket rims, I recommend you buy at least five of them. Chances are, one day you're going to damage one or more of them, and the manufacturer will have discontinued this particular series, and then your SOL. You will have to either buy all four new rims, or get a different replacement for the damaged one. The nice thing about OEM rims, is that you can pretty much buy a single replacement rim even after the car is no longer in production.
AH! A valid point my friend. When I order my tires, I will order a 5th wheel as well. Thank you for the reminder!
Old 04-12-10, 07:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och

Good point about the 5th wheel, because the cost of repairing a damaged wheel can end up costing more than the replacement cast wheel to begin with.

Note: "rim-protector" is what the feature on the tire is called usually.
Old 04-12-10, 07:16 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tire that looks good.... tread pattern and tire wall

Summer tires always have the coolest tread patterns, but some tires doesn't have good looking tire walls. *cough Michelin, Sumitomo* My Sumitomo looks very boring, but they are so cheap

Kumho have really cool looking sidewalls, and they were only 90 bucks per tire for my old 18". Although they are a bit noisy, the good tread wear, and good grip was worth the little bit of money.

Falken have cool tirewalls too but they are pricey.

Good year looks nice too from the pic, but they are a bit pricey too if you compare it to the Kumho.
Old 04-12-10, 07:20 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I was actually going back and forth between this:

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

And this:

Falken FK 452

Old 04-12-10, 07:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Hankook Ventus V12 highly rated by C&D. Some CL posters are using these tires with good results. I will probably get a set of these on my C300 later this summer.
Old 04-12-10, 09:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the wheels style. Have it on my car as well. The mesh style is classic
Attached Thumbnails Well CL...I pulled the trigger today...-29740440377_large.jpg  
Old 04-12-10, 11:16 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I like the wheels style. Have it on my car as well. The mesh style is classic
Yup always classy......while being sporty.
Old 04-13-10, 04:40 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

For now, for tires I am going to get a set of OEM 17" Bridgestone's off of a Honda Civic Si. He is giving them to me, they are 50% worn, so I am guessing I will get 5-6 months out of them. Thats all I need. They just have to last me the last few months I am in NY, when the car gets put on the trailer, the stockies go back on, and the alloys (tireless of course) go inside the car for the trip.
Old 04-13-10, 07:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought you already had those wheels on your car (signature)????

totally off topic here -- what did you think of THE HURT LOCKER movie?

Quick Reply: Well CL...I pulled the trigger today...