Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't use "Glass Doctor"... windshield repair nightmare story (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 12:13 AM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Don't use "Glass Doctor"... windshield repair nightmare story (lots of pics)

I need to vent to my CL brothers... i'll make it short and quick.

I needed to replace my windshield... Safelite and Glass Doctor were both $180. both offered a lifetime warranty on the labor and moldings but glass dr. had a 12 month accidental warranty so i chose to go with them. That includes the new glass and all new moldings.

and the nightmare begins...

saturday at 9:45am the tech starts...

everything started off pretty well and he was being careful with my car. the damaged windshield was removed fairly quickly...

while he was working i took the time to clean the dash. Keep in mind i always clean my interior so i was surprised how dirty the vents and very front part of it was.

yeah that was a new towel.... durty huh!

also noticed the bottom plastic trim was really dry and faded....

so i decided to try out this product from Bondo...
before:

after:

before:

after:

this stuff works really well. the more coats you apply, the blacker it becomes... now lets see how long it'll last.

OK back to the glass guy........
he started at 9:45 and finally put the new windshield on by 12noon. as he was finishing up i found this...

driver's side:

plus i found out the following day that he tore the passenger side too!!!

he didn't replace the moldings... and when i asked him about it he said he brought the wrong one so he used my old one that was all torn up already....

glue everywhere...

from 12 to 1pm he spent trying to put back the rear view mirror.... finally called his brother to come over and help him (who doesn't work for the company and i didn't authorize to come to my house)... took him about 2 minutes to put it back on. As he was leaving i noticed a scratch on my hood!!!!!! When i ask him about it he tells me it was my fault....! and to call the company if i wasn't satisfied. He leaves, i go inside and call the company, they ask me to email them pics... so i grab my camera and go outside only to find that he had come back to my house and used touch-up paint to cover the scratch that was supposedly my fault.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after a lot of yelling and screaming to shop managers and field tech managers nothing could be done until monday.

fast forward to Monday. i drive to the shop at Gardena and they look at the damage... after going back and forth on whats fair we came up with:

-they will re-do my windshield and put on all new moldings. not using the same guy of course.

- i take my car to an upholstery shop, i pick out the material that matches best, and they will pay to have both panels re-wrapped.

- we call it even for the cost of the windshield and cost to repaint the hood.

in conclusion.... it sucks that i had to go through all of this BS for a simple windshield, but i am happy that the shop and i were able to come to a fair agreement.....

basically my panels were done in about an hour and is already back on my car!

now i have an appointment on saturday for them to re-do my windshield.... wish me luck!

thanks for hearing me out... hopefully you guys wont go through this. My advice is to take before and after photos in case you have to prove damages... make sure they have all of the correct moldings... have the tech cover the edges of the hood and all around the windshield area with that blue tape.... and remove both of the interior side panels. (which i found out was only 3 clips holding each side)
Old 04-13-10, 05:20 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, they really screwed up a fairly simple job. I recently had the windshield on my MKZ replaced by a local chain, Belle Tire:

- The tech came to the house and did it.

- When I came home that night, everything looked OK, but I noticed that there was a small scratch on the lower center of the windshield.

- I took the car in, they verified the scratch, and ordered a new windshield.

- They called a couple days later and said the new windshield had the same scratch and ordered another one from a different supplier.

- The tech came to the house on Saturday and installed an unscratched windshield.
Old 04-13-10, 05:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sad and aggravating but this is to be expected when companies are cutting costs, this guy obviously didn't know what the hell he was doing.
Old 04-13-10, 05:52 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do they actually drive around with the windshields in the open??
Old 04-13-10, 09:08 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My tech drove a fullsize van and everything was inside.
Old 04-13-10, 10:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would have gone with safelite. They are HUGE and have an excellent reputation. sorry about the drama. I feel for you
Old 04-13-10, 11:07 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

lol oh god. i wonder what type of black touch up paint he used that was just the icing on the cake.
Old 04-13-10, 12:33 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

I had the same tear on my a-pillar after my windshield was replaced. Finally found a replacement A-pillar from a forum member.
Old 04-13-10, 01:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

looks like the glass doctors were involved in some malpractice
Old 04-29-10, 10:30 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

So a little update.... they came yesterday (2 weeks later) and replaced the windshield again. this time the guy only took an hour, replaced the moldings, and didn't cause any new damage.

Even though they fixed their mistakes, i would NEVER recommend GlassDr to anybody!!!!!!!!!!!..................
Old 04-29-10, 11:33 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That guy must have been new or just sucked. 2.5" just to replace the glass? When I replaced mine on my old SC, the guy removed the windshield off a wrecked SC in my front yard, removed my cracked one on my good car, and installed the other windshield in about 45 minutes. He didn't damage anything either, and in fact put the molding on straighter than it was since it kind of was shrinking in the hot sun over the years.

Anyway, sucks they wrecked your car, but at least its all fixed now.
Old 04-30-10, 06:52 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In a world with such a high rate of unemployment, and having so many people willing to work hard for a job... I would have fired that guy. Yes, it may cost me some money to train someone else, but I would much rather invest in order to keep this type of thing from happening again. Not only did this guy screw up the car, but he destroyed the image of the company and that's something that is sometimes hard to change.

Sorry for your car man, I hate it when people screw **** up.
Old 04-30-10, 07:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Good cautionary tale. I got two quotes for my wife's M3 windshield to be replaced (track car and windshield is terribly pitted) one from Safelite and one from somewhere else, may have been Glass Doctor. The quotes were within $20 of each other, with safelite a bit higher. Much cheaper than I expected though - less than $200 installed at my house.

I'm not as concerned about the looks though as there aren't any 'pretty parts' left on her car to worry about. Sounds like you got a crappy or inexperienced installer though and not something pervasive about the company to worry about. Hopefully they will take care of your followup issues.
Old 04-30-10, 08:17 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would have gone with safelite. They are HUGE and have an excellent reputation. sorry about the drama. I feel for you
That's who we used.. excellent job, had slight moisture a few days later, came right out, treated it, no problems since

To the OP... that totally SUCKS... sorry for your aggrevation
Old 04-30-10, 01:22 PM
LexFather

I also am not a fan of glass doctor, I should have sued for malpractice ...shoddy job on the GS 430..sometimes the window will re-open as the sensor now thinks there is something preventing the window from closing.

Quick Reply: Don't use "Glass Doctor"... windshield repair nightmare story (lots of pics)