Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

consumer reports proves again what a bunch of idiots they are.

using the blindingly obvious to boost their own ratings they state that if you drive a big tall suv like a sports car it might roll over.

i really dislike that publication. bad science, bad statistics, and holier than thou.
Old 04-14-10, 09:25 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Also, did CR test more than one? Is it at all possible that this particular GX had a malfunction? Bald tires? Water/oil slicked pavement? Inconsistent driver? Worn brakes? Anything's possible. It's just difficult to believe that Lexus would program the stability control computer to allow the vehicle to get that far out of control before stepping in. Something is not right. I'm not blaming Lexus, but something does not add up.
If you read the original article, they first performed the test on the one they purchased, then they paid Lexus for the use of another to repeat the test. Presumably the second sample was brand new, and the first one they tested was certainly only days/weeks old, as it doesn't take them long to generate a review. So that eliminates the possibility of bald tires, worn brakes, or an inconsistent driver. And presumably they were testing other vehicles at the same time that did not exhibit this issue, so slippery pavement is exceedingly unlikely.
Old 04-14-10, 09:27 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
had a knowledgeable guy chime in on another forum:
they arent saying that the sliding will cause it to rollover. the GX did not and should not roll over on its own accord. They are saying that while the car is sliding, it could hit a curb or bank (which is very possible) and once hte tire makes contact with something, the car will tip over.
Old 04-14-10, 09:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
When I said this just in it was in reference to an email I just received auotmated from CNN not that the news is new....
I see, that's nice.
Old 04-14-10, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

using the blindingly obvious to boost their own ratings they state that if you drive a big tall suv like a sports car it might roll over.

i really dislike that publication. bad science, bad statistics, and holier than thou.
Well, Paul, I don't like to use derogatory terms like "idiots", but you have to remember that CR is writing for a group of people who, in general, are not car-saavy like we are here in CAR CHAT, and can't sit down like we do and talk in detail about vehicle engineering, design, and performance. Unlike us, they generally buy the publication (or subscribe to it on-line), read it, and generally take what CR says at face value. So CR has to write up and test their vehicles in a way that is comprehensible to a wide range of people (not just car-buffs), while, at the same time, being as thorough as possible.

While I don't always agree with their auto-test conclusions, for example, I have a lot of respect for their auto-reliability ratings and charts. They do a better job in that area, IMO, than any other publication, including J.D. Power.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-10 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

While I don't always agree with their auto-test conclusions, for example, I have a lot of respect for their auto-reliability ratings and charts. They do a better job in that area, IMO, than any other publication, including J.D. Power.
I agree, I often don't agree with their auto-test conclusions, but find the reliability ratings to track very well against many of my long-term ownership experiences.
Old 04-14-10, 09:52 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Edmunds reports that a complaint has been filed with NHTSA this morning.

"On 4/3/2010 we purchased a 2010 GX 460 from Lexus of Spokane in Washington State," the unidentified consumer said in a complaint filed with NHTSA that included a reference to the Consumer Reports "don't buy" warning. "Lexus says the vehicle is safe. The SUV is in our garage, has 250 miles on it, and we are afraid to drive it. What should we do????"
for the love of god... this must be a joke.
Old 04-14-10, 10:16 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

That's the Media Terror Machine at work.

It's quite efficient.
Old 04-14-10, 10:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sensational is what the media likes/considers to be newsworthy in this case, like many.
Old 04-14-10, 10:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The GX has got to be a slow seller.Styling is not great,it's expensive and a 15/20 MPG rating is awful.
This negative new may kill it.
Have you checked the sales reports lately?

The GX is selling quite well.

This month sales of course will be affected since Lexus has temporarily stopped selling the GX.

15/20 mpg for 5300 lb, V8 off-road capable midsize SUV is awful?

I wonder what you must think of the GX's direct competitor, the Land Rover LR4. It gets 12/17 MPG despite being MUCH lighter than the GX.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Edmunds reports that a complaint has been filed with NHTSA this morning.

for the love of god... this must be a joke.
"Unidentified customer"

It should be a requirement that anyone making a customer complaint be clearly identified.

Getting back on topic, lots of people read CR, so the quicker Toyota fixes this, the better.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 04-14-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 10:25 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't even know CR had a "Don't Buy" rating.
Old 04-14-10, 10:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
I didn't even know CR had a "Don't Buy" rating.
It was last used on Crispy Kreme doughnuts.
Old 04-14-10, 10:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It was last used on Crispy Kreme doughnuts.
Yup. And I do believe the Suzuki Samuri?

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Consumer Reports has yet to put the new RX through the same test.. Will you await their findings before making your purchase decision?

Hey, I just got a survey from the automobile bible Consumer Reports for the first time
You spout off all the time "Drive the vehicles, don't go by magazines" but its okay to listen to a magazine when its negative towards Lexus.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

bitkhauna ftw

Old 04-14-10, 11:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Have you checked the sales reports lately?

The GX is selling quite well.

This month sales of course will be affected since Lexus has temporarily stopped selling the GX.

15/20 mpg for 5300 lb, V8 off-road capable midsize SUV is awful?

I wonder what you must think of the GX's direct competitor, the Land Rover LR4. It gets 12/17 MPG despite being MUCH lighter than the GX.

My God,is there any Toyota made model you don't like?
The GX may get a bump in sales initially because it's a newly designed a bit.
Both the GX and LR4 don't interest me.
You see the GX and LR4 occasionally but not many of both on the roads in my NYC metro area.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-14-10 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 11:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

You spout off all the time "Drive the vehicles
Why yes but looking at the video courtesy of CR, I might have second thoughts along with other consumers about the 2010 GX as a family hauler..

don't go by magazines" but its okay to listen to a magazine when its negative towards Lexus.
The question was posed to Marshall but since you are infatuated with me( I know I am a fan favorite), I will respond this one time

No, I don't go by magazines..

"Simplistic" enough right?

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)