Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 07:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
The recall only affects the two models, the GX and the Prado (overseas). The 4 runner is not affected and therefore is not included when they say that it includes only the GX and the Prado.
Exactly. GX 460 = based on Land Cruiser Prado. 4-Runner shares a platform but despite what CR and other publications say, is nowhere near as close as the Prado. Most markets that get the Prado (Europe) do not get the GX 460, but in the Middle East both are sold. The famous Land Cruiser (LX 570 = based on Land Cruiser) is a completely different model than Land Cruiser Prado.

GX 460:

Land Cruiser Prado:

Some 20,000 LHD Prados and 13,000 GX 460s will get the VSC software update, which works as shown in the above video.
Old 04-20-10, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, guys...good responses. Some of the original statement is confusing.
Old 04-20-10, 07:56 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, guys...good responses. Some of the original statement is confusing.
I don't see how it's confusing given that the PR was from Toyota Japan's corporate website (so the audience wasn't intended for just the US market), and that it goes into details of exactly what kinds models are affected (LHD, KDSS-equipped, 18" wheels). The 4Runner has no KDSS or 18" wheels and is therefore not included. The PR really isn't confusing at all.
Old 04-20-10, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mister Two
I don't see how it's confusing given that the PR was from Toyota Japan's corporate website (so the audience wasn't intended for just the US market), and that it goes into details of exactly what kinds models are affected (LHD, KDSS-equipped, 18" wheels). The 4Runner has no KDSS or 18" wheels and is therefore not included. The PR really isn't confusing at all.
I did find it a little confusing, because I wasn't familiar with how Toyota and Lexus classed the 4Runner/Land Cruiser/Prado/FJ Cruiser names in other countries. I spend a lot of time myself explaining things to other people who find some automotive questions confusing......so, I don't mind admitting, myself, if or when I can't easily figure something out. The answers aren't always easily available either, on Internet web-searches.
Old 04-21-10, 01:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still see nothing wrong with a GX that can drift every now and then

Old 04-23-10, 06:58 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

This is better as a link. But the article explains why CR is all wrong about the GX rating.

http://www.carmiddleeast.com/article...ports_is_wrong
Old 04-23-10, 07:42 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

^^^ Excellent find. I couldn't agree more...
Old 04-23-10, 10:47 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

^^ nice article.
Old 04-23-10, 11:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Amusing article, little else.
Old 04-23-10, 01:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
This is better as a link. But the article explains why CR is all wrong about the GX rating.

http://www.carmiddleeast.com/article...ports_is_wrong
While I agree the test is a stretch, it still doesn't dismiss the fact that other SUV's test better under the same circumstances. The essense of the CR report- compared to other vehicles, the GX strays off path. I think the whole thing was worth looking at and the revisions are helpful.
Old 05-07-10, 05:40 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Consumer Reports lifts "Don't Buy" rating after recall fix:

Consumer Reports lifts Lexus "Don't Buy" rating
By TOM KRISHER, AP Auto Writer

DETROIT – Consumer Reports magazine is lifting a "Don't Buy" recommendation for a Lexus sport utility vehicle that failed an emergency handling test.

The magazine said Friday that the 2010 Lexus GX 460 luxury SUV passed the test after a dealership updated software that runs its electronic stability control system.

Toyota Motor Corp. recalled about 10,000 of the SUVs in the United States in April after the magazine told readers not to buy them. The automaker also stopped selling them.

Consumer Reports said the rear of the GX 460 slid sideways when testers lifted their feet off the gas pedal during a high-speed turn on the magazine's test track. The magazine told readers not to buy the SUV because its rear wheels could slide into a curb or off the pavement, raising the risk of rolling over.

Under normal circumstances, the electronic stability control should quickly correct the loss of control and keep the SUV on its intended path. But with the GX 460, the stability control took too long to react, the magazine's engineers said.

Consumer Reports said it was not aware of any injuries caused by the problem.

The magazine said in a statement that it took the GX-460 it had purchased for the test to a dealership for the software update, then returned to the test track.

"This time, the ESC system intervened earlier and its rear did not slide out in the lift-off oversteer test," the magazine said. "Overall, CR did not experience any safety concerns with the corrected GX 460 in CR's handling tests."

But while the fix made the GX 460's handling secure, Consumer Reports said it is still "ponderous and ungainly," which is typical of traditional body-on-frame SUVs. Automakers have started building SUV-like vehicles called crossovers that handle better because they are built on car underpinnings.

Consumer Reports urged all GX 460 owners to have the recall work done at their dealerships. It said the repairs took about 1 1/2 hours. Dealers received the software fix last week, the magazine said.

The problem affected 34,000 Toyota vehicles worldwide, the Japanese automaker said last month.

The GX 460, which starts at about $52,000, is built on the same platform as the Toyota 4Runner. However, Consumer Reports said the problem did not occur during similar tests on the 4Runner SUV.

Consumer Reports said the last vehicle to receive such a safety warning was the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited, a large SUV. In that case, testers said the wheels lifted off the road during tests, which also posed a rollover risk.

The GX 460 recall was another blow to Toyota's tarnished safety reputation after the recall of millions of cars and trucks over gas pedals that are too slow to retract or that can become stuck under floor mats. The GX 460 is not covered by the pedal recalls.

But the company responded quickly to the GX 460 safety concerns.

Last month Toyota agreed to a record $16.4 million fine from the U.S. government for a slow response to the pedal problems. The government accused the company of hiding defects involving gas pedals, a contention Toyota rejected.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100507/..._reports/print
Old 05-07-10, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

great job, seems like toyota put in a good fix!
Old 05-07-10, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
great job, seems like toyota put in a good fix!
Agreed. This time, Lexus not only responded quickly, but got the fix correct. That has not always been the case with earlier Lexus ECU programmings, like with the transmission-flare/throttle-response issues on some IS300 and ES330 models. (I dealt with that on my own IS300)
Old 05-07-10, 10:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. This time, Lexus not only responded quickly but got the fix correct. That has not always been the case with earlier Lexus ECU programmings, like with the transmission-flare and throttle-response issues on some IS300 and ES330 models.
Agreed, but a big difference is the GX problem was a high visibility safety problem, and especially today a quick response is expected to auto safety issues.
Old 05-07-10, 10:33 AM
LexFather

Its lifted and I don't see any news about it....media bastards

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)