Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10 | 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We have seen for ourselves in the Toyota witchhunt that multiple sources were doing whatever it took to make Toyota look bad and sell newspapers/get web hits.

I would like to see all the SUVs tested and vids of each.

Its not coincidence to me that they found something wrong. Sorry.
Absolutely, Mike....no arguments there. It is indeed part of the present, media-ralated Toyota witch hunt......that's obvious. But the thing is that the media, in the anti-Toyota frenzy, is just focusing on it now. I have mentioned the GX/4Runner's potential tipsiness off and on for several years now...though I noted, as in my reply to IS-SV above, that there have been many worse SUVs in that department, like the Samurai, Sidekick/Tracker, Jeep CJ series, and Bronco.
Old 04-13-10 | 03:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No one is arguing with what you are saying here. I used the GX as an example because it is quite narrow in relation to its height, which does not help matters any. The Samurai was not mentioned to be "trivia", but as a classic example of automakers not heeding the basic laws of physics (Daihatsu, when it introduced the Rocky, learned from that and widened the Rocky's narrow track for the American market, but not Japan). The GX, fortunately, was a less-extreme example. I don't believe a post like that merits an LOL...if you do, then I disagree.
lol, because the Daihatsu Rocky one does., if you think it's not trivia, that's cool, just kidding around.

Back on topic, yes the GX has a high center of gravity, no different than dozens of SUVs on the market, nobody is ignoring the laws of physics. This handling behavior is unique amongst the modern 2010 SUVs available today, which is why it was reported by CR and discussed here.
Old 04-13-10 | 03:59 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

How does Lexus/Toyota "usually" fare in CR recommendations? Mentioning how people should and should NOT be driving such a vehicle is pointless because in real-life there are other variables and we all know that just because people shouldn't drive a certain way doesn't mean they don't. Seeing how this test was done on a track, I'm sure that surface is a lot more smooth than a lot of roads in somewhere like CA, where I imagine they would sell a good number of these. With smoother roads I would assume that the "effect" would be a little less severe than on bumpy or uneven road surfaces.

I do wonder though which "other SUVs" they tested that did so much better. I mean if he's talking about something like a Infiniti FX or Porsche Cayenne, then it's tough to compare, but if it's stacking up poorly against other full-sized SUVs that may be reason for concern.
Old 04-13-10 | 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
lol, because the Daihatsu Rocky one does., if you think it's not trivia, that's cool, just kidding around.
Daihatsu widened the Rocky's track for the North American market (you could see it in the added-on fender bulges) because they didn't want the class-action suits the Samurai was getting. In Japan, the Samurai didn't have as many rollover problems, but here, it did. Perhaps (?) that was partly because of the poor driving habits and low driving skills of some of the young people in this market who were driving Samurais....but the vehicle's design clearly didn't help.

I agree, though, we won't get any further off-track with this (no pun intended), and stick to the GX.

Back on topic, yes the GX has a high center of gravity, no different than dozens of SUVs on the market, nobody is ignoring the laws of physics. This handling behavior is unique amongst the modern 2010 SUVs available today, which is why it was reported by CR and discussed here.
Actually, the GX is a little different from some of its competitors like the Pilot, Endeavor, Journey, Durango, Highlander, etc.... in that those pther vehicles are a little wider in relation to their height. But, as you point out, that has been improved on the GX at least some for 2010. Also, even as a CR fan myself (and, as you know from previous comments, I have a very high opinion of the organization and their testing) CR is VERY strict and difficult in its on its roll-stability tests, though, perhaps (arguably) to excess. They even go to the point of mounting outriggers on their test vehicles and getting them up on two wheels. That's why they rated the Acura SLX/Isuzu Trooper Not Acceptable.
Old 04-13-10 | 04:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Actually, the GX is a little different from some of its competitors like the Pilot, Endeavor, Journey, Durango, Highlander, etc.... in that those pther vehicles are a little wider in relation to their height. But, as you point out, that has been improved on the GX at least some for 2010. Also, even as a CR fan myself (and, as you know from previous comments, I have a very high opinion of the organization and their testing) CR is VERY strict and difficult on its on its roll-stability tests. They even go to the point of rounting outriggers on their test vehicles and getting them up on two wheels.
The issue here is less about roll stability and more about handling behavior (oversteer) not being suppressed adequately by the stability managment system.

btw, one poster noted it looked like a controlled "composed" smooth slide, but that's because the driver was competent and counter-steered correctly in the vid.
Old 04-13-10 | 04:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

i watched that video, and i wasn't even thinking about the rear hanging out.

i was surprised the thing didn't roll over on that hairpin going that fast.
Old 04-13-10 | 04:08 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Post Sales

WASHINGTON – Toyota Motor Corp. is temporarily halting sales of the 2010 Lexus GX 460 after Consumer Reports issued a rare "Don't Buy" warning amid concerns the large SUV has handling problems that could cause it to roll over during sharp turns.

The Japanese automaker said Tuesday it had asked dealers to temporarily suspend sales of the SUV while it conducts its own tests on the GX 460.

"We are taking the situation with the GX 460 very seriously and are determined to identify and correct the issue Consumer Reports identified," said Mark Templin, Lexus vice president and general manager.

The decision to stop selling the SUV is the latest blow to Toyota's tarnished safety reputation after the recall of millions of cars and trucks over gas pedals that are too slow to retract or that can become stuck under floor mats. The GX 460 is not covered by the pedal recalls.

Toyota said about 6,000 have been sold since the vehicle went on sale in late December.

Consumer Reports is closely read by many car buyers before choosing a new car or truck. In January, it pulled its "recommended" rating on eight vehicles recalled by the automaker due to faulty gas pedals.

The magazine said the Lexus problem occurred during tests on its track. In a standard test, the driver approached a turn unusually fast, then released the accelerator pedal to simulate the response of an alarmed driver. This caused the rear of the vehicle to slide outward.

In normal cases, the electronic stability control should quickly correct the loss of control and keep the SUV on its intended path. But with the GX 460, the stability control took too long to adjust, which could cause a rollover accident if one of the sliding wheels were to strike the curb or another obstacle, said Gabriel Shenhar, Consumer Reports' senior auto test engineer who was one of four testers who experienced the problem.

The magazine said it is not aware of any reports of the GX 460 rolling over. It tested two separate vehicles, both of which experienced the problem, but neither rolled over.

The warning label on the model will remain until Toyota addresses the handling issue with the seven-seat SUV.

Templin said in a statement he was "confident that the GX meets our high safety standards" and said Toyota's engineering teams were testing the GX using Consumer Reports' specific parameters. Lexus will provide a loaner car for any customer who bought a 2010 GX 460 and is concerned about driving the vehicle, Templin said.

Customers who have questions or concerns about the GX 460 can call Lexus at (800) 255-3987.

The "Don't Buy" label is unlikely to hurt Toyota's broader sales since the GX 460 accounts for a fraction of its total, said Erich Merkle, president of the consulting company Autoconomy.com in Grand Rapids, Mich. However, it comes at an unfortunate time as the automaker tries to move beyond the recalls.

"I think it will have a bigger impact from a negative-PR perspective than from an actual sales perspective," Merkle said.

The GX 460, which starts at about $52,000, is built on the same platform as the Toyota 4Runner. However, Consumer Reports said the problem did not occur during similar tests on the 4Runner. According to Toyota's Web site, both vehicles are about six feet tall but the GX 460 is about 3 inches taller.

Consumer Reports said the last vehicle to receive such a safety warning was the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited, a large SUV. In that case, testers said the wheels lifted off the road during standard avoidance-maneuver tests, which also posed a rollover risk.

At the time, Mitsubishi disputed the magazine's findings and did not make any modifications to the vehicle, Mitsubishi spokesman Dan Irvin said. The designation appeared to have little effect on the Montero's sales, which increased overall during the second half of 2001.

The Montero remained on sale in the U.S. until 2007 and continues to be sold overseas as the Mitsubishi Pajero.

Last edited by GS69; 04-13-10 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-13-10 | 04:11 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Did someone say vids?

Land Rover knows how to get it done for those in the market for luxury suvs. Safety & stability on road with its legendary off road prowess still intact. Lexus should take note.
ON
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sFnH...eature=related

OFF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exoau...eature=related
Old 04-13-10 | 04:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Very quick response from Toyota. Good for them. As long as they fix also the GX460s already sold and in the hands of owners, then the impact of this should be minimal.
Old 04-13-10 | 04:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, that was very fast, better than letting the negative PR simmer and swell.
Old 04-13-10 | 04:17 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Lets not forget grand daddy Range Rover..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqxE...eature=related
Old 04-13-10 | 04:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i watched that video, and i wasn't even thinking about the rear hanging out.

i was surprised the thing didn't roll over on that hairpin going that fast.
Or the concern could be stated as:

"In normal cases, the electronic stability control should quickly correct the loss of control and keep the SUV on its intended path. But with the GX 460, the stability control took too long to adjust, which could cause a rollover accident if one of the sliding wheels were to strike the curb or another obstacle, said Gabriel Shenhar, Consumer Reports' senior auto test engineer who was one of four testers who experienced the problem."
Old 04-13-10 | 04:19 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

I saw this all over the news when I was at the gym this morning. Didn't know the GX came from the 4runner. Good thing not too many were sold yet. Shouldn't take long to fix all of them
Old 04-13-10 | 04:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Did someone say vids?

Land Rover knows how to get it done for those in the market for luxury suvs. Safety & stability on road with its legendary off road prowess still intact. Lexus should take note.
ON
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sFnH...eature=related

OFF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exoau...eature=related
Comparing a Range Rover Sport to a Lexus GX460?

Total fail of a comparison. You might as well have compared a a Cayenne Turbo S to a GX 460.

The proper comparison to the GX would be something like a G Class.

I don't see what's the point of any comparisons here anyways. There is definitely some sort of problem with the GX's stability control, and Toyota has already suspended sales and is investigating the cause of the problem.
Old 04-13-10 | 04:39 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
How is this a problem? A GX that can drift? SIGN ME UP!
Lmao, that was exactly what I was thinking. The first factory drifting truck ever!

But on a serious note, this needs issue needs to be corrected.

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)