Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 05:17 PM
LexFather

Sorry but you and GS69 are just Lexus/Toyota hate opportunists.

[QUOTE=DASHOCKER;5400043]Did someone say vids?

Land Rover knows how to get it done for those in the market for luxury suvs. Safety & stability on road with its legendary off road prowess still intact. Lexus should take note.
ON
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sFnH...eature=related

OFF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exoau...eature=related[/QUOTE

So does toyota/Lexus. The GX/Prado is used all over the world and is one of the most respected and durable vehicles around.

Odd you cite those vids. Are you seriously going to use one vid over decades of ownership?

Its also funny you support LR and they have NEVER EVER EVER been recommended by CR or any agency.

Continue though with your usual jabs at Toyota/Lexus.

Lexus is taking action. If anything this will only cement their legendary customer service.

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I saw this all over the news when I was at the gym this morning. Didn't know the GX came from the 4runner. Good thing not too many were sold yet. Shouldn't take long to fix all of them
It doesn't, it would be like me saying the M45 comes from the 350Z. They share parts but they are different inside and out as well as with technology. The GX and Prado are what is similar but saying the right thing to people in the news "Prado" would be too truthful and just confuse people.

Old 04-13-10, 05:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should stop driving my M3. The tail kicks out all the time when I take the turn. Pussies.
Old 04-13-10, 05:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
I should stop driving my M3. The tail kicks out all the time when I take the turn. Pussies.
We said in other threads, lets trade in all our cars and ride goats....

Bunch of scared people. This is journalism TERRORISM as far as I am concerened.

Old 04-13-10, 05:23 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We said in other threads, lets trade in all our cars and ride goats....

Bunch of scared people. This is journalism TERRORISM as far as I am concerened.
I just watched the video again. What the hell do you expect from turning a SUV like that? I am just surprised and more impressed that the SUV didn't roll over. Who in the right mind take the freeway off ramps like that in a big SUV?!

A little common sense goes a long way.

This is more stupid than what I heard about a diet pill on the radio today. "If you eat a lot of fat, your belly can get fat". Yea, no shi*!
Old 04-13-10, 05:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I am only alarmed and weary with the fact that this only happened with the GX460 and not other SUV's tested (supposedly).

Only thing is...I don't even drive my GS like this on sharp turns, the highest I go in turns are maybe 40-45 max, I especially don't take fast turns when I have passengers that I care about.

Last edited by G Star; 04-13-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
I just watched the video again. What the hell do you expect from turning a SUV like that? I am just surprised and more impressed that the SUV didn't roll over. Who in the right mind take the freeway off ramps like that in a big SUV?!

A little common sense goes a long way.

This is more stupid than what I heard about a diet pill on the radio today. "If you eat a lot of fat, your belly can get fat". Yea, no shi*!
The gap between dumb/scared/common sense and everyone else is widening.

Originally Posted by G Star
I am only alarmed and weary with the fact that this only happened with the GX460 and not other SUV's tested.

Only thing is...I don't even drive my GS like this on sharp turns, the highest I go in turns are maybe 40-45 max, I especially don't take fast turns when I have passengers that I care about.
What is funny is most GXs here will not be driven like that. Now overseas as the Prado, it could be a concern.

So the bad thing is not really here, its Prado owners overseas who might read this news and think "WTF".

I'm going to see if I can browse to overseas Prado forums to see what they think.

Old 04-13-10, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
But with the GX 460, the stability control took too long to adjust, which could cause a rollover accident if one of the sliding wheels were to strike the curb or another obstacle,
What's ironic about this whole thread topic (and the CR take on it) is that a late-acting, unresponsive VSC is just what a lot of a lot of auto enthusiasts and enthusiast magazines like Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc.....WANT. In fact, given the choice, if a switch is provided, many of those drivers turn the VSC off altogether. They have criticized some Lexus vehicles, in the past, for either not providing a switch or making the system difficult to completely turn off, with no effect. Some vehicles, of course, have a multi-stage-intervention VSC that drivers can adjust.

The obvious reason for not wanting VSC (or a slow-acting VSC), of course, is to do powerslides, tail-out cornering, and drifting. IMO, that can be dangerous on (some) public roads, partly for the very reasons illustrated in the article and the thread topic...... a vehicle can be tossed out of control or flipped over if it hits a curb, pavement ridge, soft shoulder, etc.... Obviously, the higher the center of gravity (and the GX/4Runner is well up there in that department), the more likely that is to happen. Or, with a drifting/powersliding rear end sideways on a two-lane curve, it can increase the chances of the vehicle colliding with a vehicle in the adjacent lane. Hopefully, knowledgeable auto enthusiasts and the professional drivers at the auto mags know this, and adjust their driving tactics accordingly.

And, of course, Volvo, always a safety leader, has come up with what is (probably) the best VSC system of all, although I don't think that Lexus (yet) uses it on any of its vehicles. The Volvo system, which Ford, who had the rights to it, also used on some of its SUVs, combines the traditional VSC, which is based on steering/yaw input, with a roll-control system that also detects body-lean angle (the lean angle, of course, is much more of a factor in rollovers than simple oversteer). In the Volvo system, when one or both inputs reach a pre-determined danger zone, the electronics intervene. That would help (but of course, not eliminate) roll-overs even with the vehicle hitting something in the road. I'd like to see the Volvo system installed on the GX and, of course, all other vehicles like it, but Volvo and Ford, according to patent laws, may (?) have strict rights to it for yet some time....I'm not enough of a lawyer to know just how long.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-10 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 06:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

And, of course, Volvo, always a safety leader, has come up with what is (probably) the best VSC system of all, although I don't think that Lexus (yet) uses it on any of its vehicles. The Volvo system, which Ford, who had the rights to it, also uses on some of its SUVs, combines the traditional VSC, which is based on steering/yaw input, with a roll-control system that also detects body-lean angle (the lean angle, of course, is much more of a factor in rollovers than simple oversteer). In the Volvo system, when one or both inputs reach a pre-determined danger zone, the electronics intervene. That would help (but of course, not eliminate) roll-overs even with the vehicle hitting something in the road. I'd like to see the Volvo system installed on the GX and, of course, all other vehicles like it, but Volvo and Ford, according to patent laws, may (?) have strict rights to it for yet some time....I'm not enough of a lawyer to know just how long.
Yes most of us know all of the above, but on-topic, the short answer is the existing VSC system on the Lexus GX460 (which they/Lexus all have today) should just work properly.

The most important rollover prevention electronic system on an SUV is a properly working VSC system (such as the Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM systems employed today), it is far more valuable than the claimed incremental improvement that the Volvo system might add.

The safety experts have already stated this, because once an SUV gets crossed-up and sideways bad things can happen.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-13-10 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 06:07 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

It doesn't, it would be like me saying the M45 comes from the 350Z. They share parts but they are different inside and out as well as with technology. The GX and Prado are what is similar but saying the right thing to people in the news "Prado" would be too truthful and just confuse people.
Actually, it would be more like the M45 comes from the nissan skyline 350gt (infiniti G35) which the 350z also came from. Skyline came out before 350z FYI. The news must be wrong then because they are saying everywhere that the GX is on the 4runners platform.

Either way, toyota is defintely on a role
Old 04-13-10, 06:38 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad I've learned how to drive in the 80's without all the stability control system so I've learned how to use common sense, drive responsible and rely on my driving skills.
If you're driving that fast( like in the video) coming into turn, you're deserve to roll over and get your butt out of the road before you hurt somebody else.
Old 04-13-10, 07:06 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me put it to you like this.... if your not out of control... your not in control.
Old 04-13-10, 07:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Toyota is recalling the AE86 for ESC problems:
Old 04-13-10, 07:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Toyota is recalling the AE86 for ESC problems:
lol

The LS is being recalled as well for ESC issues

Old 04-13-10, 08:07 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

What do you expect? High speeds and a sharp turn. Who ever drove it, thinking the GX was an F1 car, just wanted to start ****. They should do the same test on all SUVs
Old 04-13-10, 08:29 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JessePS
What do you expect? High speeds and a sharp turn. Who ever drove it, thinking the GX was an F1 car, just wanted to start ****. They should do the same test on all SUVs
i think a lot of ppl are missing the point.
they're not taking sharp turns for ****s and giggles. they're simulating a possible scenario where one might panic and lift off the throttle which is a very common situation to be in for someone inexperienced.

the other point many are failing to realize is that no other SUV they tested (in the same fashion) exhibited the same risk.

lets not make apologies for Lexus and hope they fix this ASAP before it becomes more negative press!

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)