Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 08:46 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an excellent video demonstrating side-by-side how much superior the KDSS-equipped Land Cruiser Prado (GX's Toyota twin) is, both off-road and on-road, than the Land Rover Discovery 3 and the Mitsubishi Pajero. So the issue with the GX460 is clearly software-related and can be easily remedied with a reflash of a more aggressive VSC. The truck has no issue in on-road handling otherwise. GX's VSC intervenes too late, that's all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgv49Pdi_dI

Last edited by Mister Two; 04-13-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 08:47 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
i think a lot of ppl are missing the point.
they're not taking sharp turns for ****s and giggles. they're simulating a possible scenario where one might panic and lift off the throttle which is a very common situation to be in for someone inexperienced.

the other point many are failing to realize is that no other SUV they tested (in the same fashion) exhibited the same risk.

lets not make apologies for Lexus and hope they fix this ASAP before it becomes more negative press!
Agree with this 100%. The test they did is a legitimate safety test, and there are other SUVs in this class that passed the test including the 4-runner.

Clearly it is an oversight that Lexus had not prepped for this, and it makes me question their testing policies. Testing for stability during evasive and emergency maneuvres is to me a critical requirement for a quality luxury automobile.

I have been a staunch lexus supporter on all the silly acceleration claims, but on this one Lexus has made a mistake.
Old 04-13-10, 08:53 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder if they are going to test the LX 570 next.....
Old 04-13-10, 09:01 PM
hughh
Pole Position

I was awed by the CU video. I never thought this white elephant would be able to hang it's tail at such speeds. Instead of derision, I have new respect now for the GX!
Old 04-13-10, 09:01 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Habious
Here's a wild idea...don't take a 90° turn at 60 MPH in a top-heavy SUV.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
News Flash: SUVs handle badly, more at 10, back to you Bill
Originally Posted by Och
This vehicle has truck suspension designed for off-road use, and isn't very suitable for on-road driving at high speeds. They masked its crude nature with soft springs/shocks, which makes for wallow, unstable ride. If your needs require such vehicle (towing, off-roading, heavy duty utility use), you're best off driving it in a manner where you wont have to depend on stability system. Don't drive over 60mph and don't take any fast corners, and most important, use common sense.
Originally Posted by Och
Laws of physics my friend. This particular SUV wasn't designed for handling, and it's not meant to be driven in the way they are testing it.
Originally Posted by DustinV
I would like to know what kind of moron would drive a Lexus GX "to the limit" on a racetrack? Certainly not most shoppers of this kind of vehicle.

So why is this test so important? Seems to me that Consumer Reports, as always, gets upset about minor, almost trivial issues like this for example. If I bought a GX, I could care less about how the car would handle at its limit. I'd never take the car to that level in the first place. If I wanted to drive in such a fashion, I'll buy a sports car, not an SUV.

Besides, SUVs are overweight and handle poorly by nature (with some exceptions). I'm always amazed by the people who complain about the "handling and acceleration" of a big and heavy SUV. They're clearly eying the wrong car. One word: FAIL.
The problem is that Lexus has been touting the emergency handling/sharp turn capabilities of the 2010 GX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7zS8Mknb0

And older commercials like this give a totally wrong impression of BOF SUVs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k49I50n--8
Old 04-13-10, 09:10 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Mmarshall, I remember when the video of the Isuzu Trooper CU test finally came out, it showed without a doubt the whole thing was rigged. You could hear someone yelling at the test driver that if he couldn't get it to roll over, he (the CU guy) would get someone else who could! That's when I dropped my subscription to CU. Isuzu as I remember sued CU.
Old 04-13-10, 09:30 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

above video was a good comparo

Originally Posted by STIG
I just watched the video again. What the hell do you expect from turning a SUV like that? I am just surprised and more impressed that the SUV didn't roll over. Who in the right mind take the freeway off ramps like that in a big SUV?!

A little common sense goes a long way.

This is more stupid than what I heard about a diet pill on the radio today. "If you eat a lot of fat, your belly can get fat". Yea, no shi*!
totally agree.

at 0:36: "when you're exiting the highway too fast".............at a freakin 90 deg turn at that high speed??????????
it didn't roll over and stayed planted.

not defending lexus but CR is another excuse my french F'in idiots

do they have other suvs doing the same test?
Old 04-13-10, 09:32 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
do they have other suvs doing the same test?
YES, this is the only SUV that failed which is what makes this so notable!
Old 04-13-10, 09:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Here's an excellent video demonstrating side-by-side how much superior the KDSS-equipped Land Cruiser Prado (GX's Toyota twin) is, both off-road and on-road, than the Land Rover Discovery 3 and the Mitsubishi Pajero. So the issue with the GX460 is clearly software-related and can be easily remedied with a reflash of a more aggressive VSC. The truck has no issue in on-road handling otherwise. GX's VSC intervenes too late, that's all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgv49Pdi_dI
Great video. Shows just how superior the new GX is to it's direct competition.

I agree though. With this situation, the GX simply has an issue with its VSC system that should be easily fixable. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-13-10, 09:52 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
YES, this is the only SUV that failed which is what makes this so notable!
Do you have those links or does anyone have those links?

I did a google search and it is being flooded with the anti-lexus don't buy a GX that may tip over recommendation.
Old 04-13-10, 10:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Until there is good scientific research to back this up, this is just more propoganda from a publication that requires you to pay to see their stuff (online). Vehicle skid controls in modern cars are electronically controlled...without them, all SUV's, trucks and cars alike would flip over in an emergency evasive manuever situation. I'm confident Lexus will find a fix for this faster than GM, Ford or Chrysler are capable of.

Sure you can't defy the laws of physics, but good judgement is key here, no matter what kind of car, truck or SUV it is PERIOD.
Old 04-13-10, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i watched that video, and i wasn't even thinking about the rear hanging out.

i was surprised the thing didn't roll over on that hairpin going that fast.
watch the video again and see how the pro driver corrected the car in the middle when the rear was swinging out. he countered the oversteer by turning the wheel to the left. that's what saved the car.

if it's normal people driving, in oversteering condition, they don't counter the steering and the car WILL flip for sure

that's the difference. this video shows the potential problem -- without the unfortunate ending

Originally Posted by STIG
I just watched the video again. What the hell do you expect from turning a SUV like that? I am just surprised and more impressed that the SUV didn't roll over. Who in the right mind take the freeway off ramps like that in a big SUV?!

A little common sense goes a long way.

This is more stupid than what I heard about a diet pill on the radio today. "If you eat a lot of fat, your belly can get fat". Yea, no shi*!
a lot of people completely missed the point of this study and report. it's not about driving smart or stupid, that's a completely different topic. but this is about safety and "unforeseen" condition....

it's basically saying if everyone drives smart and right, then there is absolutely zero need for stability control, airbags, bumper crush bars, reinforced structures and protections, etc... coz' there won't be any accidents right?

the point of all these is to have computers to help take control of the car and avoid potential problems. and in this case (at least according to CR), the gx is not living up to expectations

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Very quick response from Toyota. Good for them. As long as they fix also the GX460s already sold and in the hands of owners, then the impact of this should be minimal.
yes, i agree, their quick and decisive response this time is probably one of the best i have seen in recent time by toyota. better safe than sorry, better be conservative. hold off everything and study / understand further, implement necessary fixes if applicable, and then come clean.

toyota was already in trouble with their recent problems left and right, and the report from CR this morning would not help them in anyway. instead of having other random people or presses put further damages, toyota now basically stops everything.

if anything, this is more like a ecu fix, and that's very much programmable which is a great thing

this probably will cause toyota the least damages in the long run regarding this issue
Old 04-13-10, 10:27 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

does releasing the throlle really make the rear stick out? I cant imagine the theory behind that part.

anywhoo, somebody at the lexus/toyota programming division needs to be fired.
Old 04-13-10, 10:32 PM
LexFather

How come we haven't heard any owners with the issue? We have not one complaint about this. Suddenly CR tries to drive it like an Enzo and "wham its unstable"

No **** Sherlock.

The vehicle has been on sale for months? Where are the reports from the owners?

My post in the GX forum

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Except when the GX470 was tested it wasn't the "in" media thing to attack Toyota/Lexus to make headlines as it is now that the GX 460 has debuted. I mean look at the video, what vehicle wouldn't look scary in that situation?

When I was in Jamaica I saw Prado's doing tricks and speeding and drifting on mountain roads and AWFUL pavement the entire time. Quite frankly I was IMPRESSED with the GX/Prado as I was unaware of its capabilities. The average magazine or American here would have pissed their pants.

Lexus already is offering loaners while they investigate and it will only add more cement to their reputation as the leader in customer satisfaction.

We live in an era where the news LIVES TO SCARE PEOPLE
-cars out of control
-runaway trains
-terrorists
-earthquakes and natural disasters
-plane crashes

etc etc

People need to wisen up and not get so scary immediately. How on EARTH would some of you have lived in the 1700s or so

Last edited by LexFather; 04-13-10 at 10:38 PM.

Old 04-13-10, 10:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How come we haven't heard any owners with the issue? We have not one complaint about this. Suddenly CR tries to drive it like an Enzo and "wham its unstable"

No **** Sherlock.

The vehicle has been on sale for months? Where are the reports from the owners?

My post in the GX forum
well, it depends on whether someone almost got the gx out of control

it's kind of like the wind noise problem on the ls460. it took more than 1/2 for the problem to surface

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)