Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volt update....meeting its electric range + MPG goals

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 07:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Volt update....meeting its electric range + MPG goals

http://gm-volt.com/2010/04/13/update...ing-mpg-goals/

Apr 13
Update: Chevy Volt is Meeting Electric Range and Charge-Sustaining MPG Goals

Posted by Lyle in: Engineering with 67 Comments

Share:

General Motors Executive Director Global Electrical Systems, Hybrids, Electric Vehicles And Batteries Micky Bly

I had the chance to attend a Chevy Volt developmental update for the media. It was a brief web presentation followed by Q&A that was hosted by Mickey Bly, GM’s Executive Director Global Electrical Systems, Hybrids, Electric Vehicles And Batteries and Andrew Farah, Volt Chief Engineer.

As in every update I’ve attended since early 2007, the team once again stated the program is going extremely well and on track. Bly noted the whole process has not exactly been “a walk in the park,” but at this point the production infrastructure is “fully ready” and there are “no issues in the way” of a successful Volt launch in November.

Range Goals Met or Exceeded

Th team was questioned about whether the Volt prototypes are achieving their stated goal of 40 miles of pure electric range from a full charge. Farah replied that “things are going well.” He said “we are regularly hitting our 40 mile target and exceeding it.”

He expects consumers too “will be able to do that depending on terrain and weather.” As an example, Farah spoke about his experience in one of the pre-production prototypes. “This weekend I got 41.5 and 42.5 cycles around town,” he said.

“I’m not speeding, I’m not taking it particularly easy either, because I’m driving the way I would normally drive,” he added.

He is “very confident the batteries are delivering the range they need to deliver,” though adds at this point there are “still some last minute tweaks and tunes on aero(dynamics)” the team is engaged in.

Farah did explain that consumers will experience about a 20% variability in electric range depending on four variables in the following order of importance:

“Driving aggressiveness is number one, terrain is number two, weather and terrain is number three,” he said. Bly noted in cold weather a car
consumes as much energy to keep its occupants warm as it does to travel down the road.

Nonetheless even if circumstances reduce range below 40 miles, the whole design of the range extender obviates any concerns or loss of consumer comfort and confidence.

“We’re always trying to provide that consistent experience,” said Farah. “Even if you get twenty percent less range you’ve got that range extender to fall back on,” he said. ”So day to day you’re not inconvenienced.”

50 MPG Still on Target

For three years we’ve conjectured about what the Volt’s miles per gallon in charge sustaining mode will turn out to be.

The team was again asked this question. Farah explained the team is still using the original 2007 concept’s goal of 50 mpg, and for the first time provided a clue as to how it will turn out.

“I still use the target of 50 MPG as the bogey,” said Farah. “So far I haven’t been disappointed.”

He clarified that the 50 MPG target is unadjusted, and that the official number will be “released closer to production.” Fuel tank size remains a secret, but the official spec at this point is 300 miles of range on a full tank of gas in charge sustaining mode, starting after the 40 miles of battery electric range.

It remains unclear as to how the EPA will officially rate the Volt’s fuel economy, and the controversial 230 mpg average fuel economy taking into account average combined electric and gas driving, remains unofficial.

“The 230 mpg number talked about a few months ago was based on some preliminary discussion with the EPA,” said Farah. “Those conversations have been continuing and have not yet come to a conclusion.”
Old 04-13-10, 07:34 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a question...can they build it and sell it for a profit?

Or do they plan on losing money on every sale but make up for it in volume?
Old 04-13-10, 08:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Habious

if they made it in Mexico, sure, but in Detroit with UAW....
Old 04-13-10, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There's a difference between making a small profit on each sale and actually LOSING money. If you only make a small profit, then, yes, volume is what you want to help make up for it. But if you actually lose money on each car, then high volume only compounds the problem.

Of course, you can afford to build and sell some vehicles at a loss if you make a high enough profit on your other vehicles. That was the case with Toyota and Honda. They lost money on their first (early-90s-vintage) hybrids, but more than made up for it by good profits in the rest of their buisness (till last year, of course). GM and Ford, at one time, were also making as much as $7000-8000 profit on the sale of each of their full-size SUVs.....that covered up other losses for awhile.
Old 04-13-10, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think that the Volt, once it gets to market, will probably be the most serious Prius competitor yet, if they can get the quality and reliability right....and a reasonable price, of course. With the technology the Volt has, though, keeping the price down could be a problem.
Old 04-13-10, 09:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that the Volt, once it gets to market, will probably be the most serious Prius competitor yet, if they can get the quality and reliability right....and a reasonable price, of course. With the technology the Volt has, though, keeping the price down could be a problem.
altho I think the price of technology is an issue, there are other LARGER factors involved as I mentioned above.
Old 04-13-10, 10:21 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

There's a difference between making a small profit on each sale and actually LOSING money. If you only make a small profit, then, yes, volume is what you want to help make up for it. But if you actually lose money on each car, then high volume only compounds the problem.
My second statement was a joke. Sorry, should have used the [sarcasm] tag.

My point was, many people have been talking about the Volt as "the car that's going to save GM". It was even mentioned when the GM bailout was happening - "Don't worry...they need the government's help now but, they're going to bounce back and be better than ever. They're making new, high-tech, green cars...like The Volt...and that's going to turn the company around!"

And then they come out and say "Well, we can't actually sell the Volt and make a profit on it." So, how exactly is this car going to turn the company around?
Old 04-13-10, 12:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given a good EPA rating (however it is calculated) could get this car to sell even with a great premium. However, if it does recieve a 50 MPG in comparison with the 50 MPG rating one would have to be confident in their 40 miles or less commute to justify spending the extra cash on the Volt. I hope given the technology that this number will beat the Prius and justify the high price tag. Otherwise, anyway with a long commute to who does lots of highway miles has less reason to purchase a Volt.
Old 04-13-10, 12:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont be surprised when you hear the magic word "subsidies" Chevy is Government Motors? How convenient.
Old 04-13-10, 03:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if the Volt will save GM, but so far it is one of my top choices when it comes to a Hybrid for my next Hybrid purchase should I choose to go that route. So far I like the tech it brings. The style isn't too bad either. I just have to get enough nerve built up to buy a GM product. Last American car I owned was a 79 Ford Mustang.
Old 04-14-10, 05:37 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I don't know if the Volt will save GM, but so far it is one of my top choices when it comes to a Hybrid for my next Hybrid purchase should I choose to go that route. So far I like the tech it brings. The style isn't too bad either. I just have to get enough nerve built up to buy a GM product. Last American car I owned was a 79 Ford Mustang.
Really? You would buy a Volt over a HS250h? Just curious.
Old 04-14-10, 05:56 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Really? You would buy a Volt over a HS250h? Just curious.
Not surprising...though I would buy an HS over an IS, given the choice.
Old 04-14-10, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

i think this car will sell like the plague.
Old 04-14-10, 08:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally (by order of preference):
Volt or Lexus CT 200h or Nissan Leaf > HS250h

I say that as I find some parts of the HS to be ugly-looking.
Old 04-14-10, 02:40 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

This car is already about 2 years too late. November launch? Yeah....sure.

Quick Reply: Volt update....meeting its electric range + MPG goals