Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: BMW M3 Sedan may not live to see another generation (again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10 | 11:07 AM
LexFather

M3 is the car in its class...the 335 can't touch it and adding a gotdamn chip to say its faster is simplistic.

The M3 is a "M" trackbred but an be used as a daily. It has their best engineers working on it. The 335 is pedestrian by comparison like a 328, like a 323, like a diesel 318..simply a bigger engine and other small changes.

The M3 comes from a different thought process and it will always live on.
Old 04-14-10 | 11:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
M3 is the car in its class...the 335 can't touch it and adding a gotdamn chip to say its faster is simplistic.

The M3 is a "M" trackbred but an be used as a daily. It has their best engineers working on it. The 335 is pedestrian by comparison like a 328, like a 323, like a diesel 318..simply a bigger engine and other small changes.

The M3 comes from a different thought process and it will always live on.
i tell this to everyone who asks me about the m3 "it's not about how fast it can go in straight, it's about the way it reacts when you turn the wheel"

those who only talk and compare straight line between m3 and 335, imho they don't know what m3 is about
Old 04-14-10 | 02:15 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

That's a shame, I actually like the sedan as much as the coupe.

Originally Posted by rominl
i tell this to everyone who asks me about the m3 "it's not about how fast it can go in straight, it's about the way it reacts when you turn the wheel"

those who only talk and compare straight line between m3 and 335, imho they don't know what m3 is about
I agree, but don't you think this is partly BMW's fault? They created the 335 as-is fully knowing that most of the peeps only care about the stat sheet and numbers vs. the driving experience. However, I'd say this is a smart move on BMW's part. Although they arguably dilute the M brand to the dismay of enthusiasts, those same enthusiasts still end up buying the m3, while the 335 gets a huge boost in sales because people think it's a much better bang for the buck.
Old 04-14-10 | 02:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by primecut
That's a shame, I actually like the sedan as much as the coupe.

I agree, but don't you think this is partly BMW's fault? They created the 335 as-is fully knowing that most of the peeps only care about the stat sheet and numbers vs. the driving experience. However, I'd say this is a smart move on BMW's part. Although they arguably dilute the M brand to the dismay of enthusiasts, those same enthusiasts still end up buying the m3, while the 335 gets a huge boost in sales because people think it's a much better bang for the buck.
oh i have always said that the 335 takes away a lot of potential sales on the m3, when they came out with FI on the 335 (and NA on the m3).

fact is, even a lot of m3 owners they don't really know how to drive their cars and the limit. they don't even redline their cars, push it hard on corners, or brake hard. i have seen plenty (which is sad). so i think the 335 actually put bmw in a pretty good position, though hurting the m3 somewhat. with the next generation m3 (FI), then it can be a whole different story again.

but still, when people try to argue about 335 vs m3 and use straight line run, i immediately know those people have no idea what they are talking about, and obviously haven't compared closely between 335 and m3
Old 04-14-10 | 02:50 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

when people try to argue about 335 vs m3 and use straight line run, i immediately know those people have no idea what they are talking about, and obviously haven't compared closely between 335 and m3
Agree. After some seat time in an E92 335i followed by a test drive of an E92 M3 the difference is overwhelmingly apparent.

As far as getting rid of the sedan goes I don't think its a very good move considering successors to the C63 and IS-F will be coming along eventually, and we'll most likely see a new RS4 from Audi sometime soon.
Old 04-14-10 | 03:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Agree. After some seat time in an E92 335i followed by a test drive of an E92 M3 the difference is overwhelmingly apparent.

As far as getting rid of the sedan goes I don't think its a very good move considering successors to the C63 and IS-F will be coming along eventually, and we'll most likely see a new RS4 from Audi sometime soon.
ah very good point, i didn't think from a competitor point of view. with the isf, c63, and rs4, it only makes sense if bmw continue the m3 sedan. they just need to make the car better (imho) and maybe a bit more distance from the normal 3
Old 04-14-10 | 10:40 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC_coupe

Originally Posted by rominl
ah very good point, i didn't think from a competitor point of view. with the isf, c63, and rs4, it only makes sense if bmw continue the m3 sedan. they just need to make the car better (imho) and maybe a bit more distance from the normal 3
I also think the M3 sedan shouldn't go away due to the competition, sedans aren't my thing but I don't think dropping the sedan will do any favors for BMW.

I think this gen of 3 sedan was a bit of a miss for BMW though, the coupe is great, but the sedan just looks ... odd somehow.
Old 04-14-10 | 11:33 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
i would prefer coupe over sedan... e92 coupe looks alot better than sedan IMO...
much agreed, but given the segment, i think bmw still should have the sedan version available. not everyone will want a coupe, especially if they're family people who want a little speed with the practicality of four doors. the coupe looks pretty solid, no matter which angle you view it.
Old 04-14-10 | 11:54 PM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

It's a nice car.. Hopefully they won't discontinue it :/
Old 04-15-10 | 01:22 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
much agreed, but given the segment, i think bmw still should have the sedan version available. not everyone will want a coupe, especially if they're family people who want a little speed with the practicality of four doors. the coupe looks pretty solid, no matter which angle you view it.
hehe than more people will buy IS-F! lol or C63
in company's perspective they gotta make some money to keep the factory goin but its kinda sad to see a nice car gettin discontinued..
Old 04-15-10 | 02:25 AM
kit cat

i blame the coupe face. should have kept the looks of a sedan.
Old 04-15-10 | 06:31 AM
LexFather

I wonder how well received the sedan is overseas?
Old 04-15-10 | 07:09 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

BMW has created a niche car for every group on the planet ( examples- cheerleader grandmas with 2 daughters, 1 son who need auto-recline seats or Bob with *****in' hair plugs who likes convertibles but can't stand wind or (___fill in blank_______)....

If 9 people will buy it, BMW will fill the niche, then dump it on the market when the lease is up.

Personally, it's a GREAT sedan, maybe the world's best $ for $... foolish to discontinue... BMW makes great decisions... oh wait, forgot about the guy they counted on for design:
Report: BMW M3 Sedan may not live to see another generation (again)-bangle.jpg
Old 04-15-10 | 08:29 AM
LexFather

^^ lol..........
Old 04-15-10 | 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
i blame the coupe face. should have kept the looks of a sedan.
lol then even the coupe won't sell?

Quick Reply: Report: BMW M3 Sedan may not live to see another generation (again)