Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Next-gen Audi S8 may boast 620 HP from Lambo-derived V10

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 08:21 AM
un4given
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The A4 has no imagination to it an looks rather bland unless you get the Sline package or a S4.

I think most here love the past A8 and there was high hopes for the new one but instead of the R8 design team we got the Audi design team from 1980 that keeps their Xmas lights on their house year round.
I would wait till I see it in person to make a final judgement.

I still remember when I first saw the LS460 pics way back in 2006...I was like, "This car is amazing"....then when I saw it in person I was like "that's it, ok, let's move on to the next car"

Pictures don't always tell the whole story, some cars look better in pics than in person. One car that didn't look good online was the S-class, then in person one really gets to appreciate it.

I will wait till I at least see it in person.
Old 04-16-10, 08:26 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joe80
2ft is a huge difference.

Maybach 57 - 231 inches 133.5 wheel base
A8 lWB - 207 inches 122.9 wheel base

only car that is remotely close to Mayback 57 is Equus LWB which is 215 inches, but it has almost the same wheelbase.
Please stop comparing a taxi cab to a true super luxury sedan. If we go down that route than the Lincoln Town car is an even closer comparison to the Maybach 57. The LWB Town Car is 221.3 inches long................
Old 04-16-10, 08:28 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I actually completely agree with you...this interior looks incredibly over-styled in my opinion.

In terms of colors alone I see:
Black
White
Light tan
Darker Tan
Brown
Silver
Red

...which is a little bit overwhelming in my eyes. The door panels look quite busy as well.
Door panels are the worst offenders! I guess in some more toned down leather/veneer combos it would actually look a lot more better but this is hideous. Also that extending center console is an option thank god Backspace is going to look much better with just an armrest.

But still wood on front seats is completely unnecessary and tacky (surprise), LCDs look out of place, footrest is just wtf, etc.
LS does the executive four seating configuration much more elegant and seamless. Now if only Lexus would make better switchgear design and material wise

Not to take away from Audi they have every gadget that you would expect in executive seating there so its not lacking anything. Hey even massage remote is there and it looks hundred times better than the one in LS.
Old 04-16-10, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i will just simply say i prefer the a4 and a6 a lot more
Old 04-17-10, 03:37 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
Aren't most pictures highly photoshopped now days lol
Just saying. Even compared to Lexus, Benz, or BMW press shots, these Audi interior shots are highly stylized.

I do agree with others the interior is overdone IMHO, and is not best-in-class.

I find the red lightning to be extremely tacky in a prestige luxury full-size sedan.

All of the LED lighting inside the interior I find is overdone and not very tasteful.

Then there is the material choices. Lots of aluminum/brushed metal, lots of wood, it just seems like Audi decided to go for a "shotgun" approach with the interior and just throw lots of everything into it. Again it's not very tasteful or classy IMHO.

Those monitors on the seats also look very tacky. It looks like someone simply glued actual computer monitors to the seats. They don't look integrated at all .
Old 04-17-10, 11:20 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the hell, I didn't realize the a8L had such a legendary interior. At ~$80,000 base, I've gotta say that interior blows BMW 7, Mercedes S, and Lexus LS out of the water, at least for the rear

The interior of that $80k Audi is comparable to the $110k LS 600 hL
Old 04-18-10, 02:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carLx
What the hell, I didn't realize the a8L had such a legendary interior. At ~$80,000 base, I've gotta say that interior blows BMW 7, Mercedes S, and Lexus LS out of the water, at least for the rear

The interior of that $80k Audi is comparable to the $110k LS 600 hL
How are you so sure that is the interior you get for 80K?

Some of those features and options could cost quite a bit extra.
Old 04-18-10, 09:01 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't seen front interior shots posted yet...(regular A8)
Attached Thumbnails Spy Shots: Next-gen Audi S8 may boast 620 HP from Lambo-derived V10-2011_audi_a8_steering_wheel.jpg   Spy Shots: Next-gen Audi S8 may boast 620 HP from Lambo-derived V10-2011_audi_a8_interior_night.jpg  
Old 04-19-10, 05:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow 620hp.. The hp wars continues If I was in the market for a used sedan, the last gen S8 would be it. AWD, fast, sleek, Euro tuned. The new body does not look good imo.