Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoguide: 2010 Lexus ES350 vs 2010 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 02:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats to the ES 350 for winning this comparo!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Also the ES is tastefully done and handsome. How is handsome bland and dull? The ES is refrained elegance and one of the best lookers in class. You don't need gotdamn zigzap lines everywhere to add style.
Agreed! Autoguide gave the Buick more points for style but in the end the Lexus won the comparison on its refinement, performance, and quality.
Old 04-16-10, 05:37 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like the 2007 ES better than the current refreshed one.

the front styling on the 2010 ES is a total miss. It looks more like a evolution of the 1998 camry than a lexus. WTF is up with the foglights.

this review is only another man's opinion. I think the buick looks too chunky.

and no matter what positive review there is for the buick, the lexus will always sell better anyway
Old 04-16-10, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Buick humping continues. Look its a grand improvement over Buicks past but lets see how it holds up after 5 years.
While it is, of course, still new with no reliability data, I don't see any reason why it should not hold up about the same as other recent Buicks have done, quality-wise, which means somewhat (but not strongly) better than average, according to Consumer Reports.

I think both are good cars but don't be fooled by all the wins by the Lacrosse, it still is behind with its interior, materials, MPG and ride.
Correct. Buick did aim the LaCrosse at the ES350, but its interior materials, though flashy and somewhat glitzy-looking, are not quite up to those of Lexus. What is ironic is that, to a large extent, the materials of the cheaper Chevy Malibu ARE. The Malibu and the new Cadillac CTS have what are (arguably), IMO, GM's highest-quality overall interiors. The Malibu's is not the fanciest, but uses the best materials and slickest-feeling controls I have seen inside a GM product in decades. I like the new LaCrosse chassis, its AWD option, and, unlike past Buicks, its ability to deliver sharp handling while retaining at least some Buick ride smoothness, but, when value for the dollar is injected, it's hard to beat the Malibu in the GM lineup.

Don't forget, though, Mike, that the ES350 was a disappointment in 2006-2007 when it first came out....much, of course, has been discussed on CL about that. Lexus has given it significant interior trim/quality improvements for 2010 (I noted them in my review), which it did not have as recently as just a couple of years ago.

BTW, have you driven a new LaCrosse? If not, forget Grandpa's Buick. You will be amazed at how quick the steering response is on the CXL model......and yes, to compensate, some of the Buick magic-carpet ride is gone, but, again, it is surprising how much of that smooth ride (and Buick's smooth transmission) is still left with that much-improved steering. You know how I am about ride comfort....I'd b***h if I thought the car was now uncomfortable. It isn't....the engineers, for a mid-sized family sedan, have done a superb job on this car's chassis. The AWD option, of course, is just icing on the cake. But, as you noted, the interior trim/parts still have some of that cheap GM plastic, though glittery.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-10 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 03:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The quality of the interior trim in the ES350 isn't really any different in the 2010 vs. the 2007. For 2010 they added a couple of wood strips to the nav/dash area, as well as chrome accents around the door wood trim areas. Both improvments IMO. But quality wise the materials are the same. Small changes but well done.
Old 04-18-10, 04:45 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad they did the comparo. GM set themselves up for comparisons to be made thinking they'd be an easy winner. Turns out they may have embarrassed themselves.

The Lacrosse is a tremendous effort from GM and a winning design. But Lexus caliber refinement is hard to touch. A majority will still prefer the Lexus name and unmatched quality and long term dependability. I stress long term, because as good as GM is getting, there's no way they will be as reliable during a 300-400K run even if they prove to be trouble free for the first 5 years. There's also the importance of holding it's value. A Buick will never match Lexus in that category as well.

I don't know why all the complaints about the ES's styling. Is it as exciting as the Lacrosse's? No. But it isn't ugly (like many cars are). It's a simple, elegant, non-polarizing design. The ES will always be a safe design. It's a bread and butter model for Lexus and has a large conservative buyer base it can't afford to lose. That's why Lexus chose to also build the IS for the other type of buyer.
Old 04-18-10, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The quality of the interior trim in the ES350 isn't really any different in the 2010 vs. the 2007. For 2010 they added a couple of wood strips to the nav/dash area, as well as chrome accents around the door wood trim areas. Both improvments IMO. But quality wise the materials are the same. Small changes but well done.
While, in general, that's true, I have to disagree on two points. First, the materials used inside on the dash/door panels aren't just better from a glittery, chrome point of view, or just a little more wood trim (which the car, IMO, should have gotten in 2007 to start with). The trim itself, in several areas, feels of higher quality. Second, the new, 2010 dash doesn't have the poor fit/assembly and creaks/small rattles that many 2007 models did (as also was on my 2007 test vehicle).
Old 04-18-10, 07:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I owned an '07 for nearly 4 years and have had a '10 for three months, and from the ownership experience of both, see no difference in the material quality.

Granted it's a subjective area and opinions on the subject will vary.
Old 04-18-10, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I owned an '07 for nearly 4 years and have had a '10 for three months, and from the ownership experience of both, see no difference in the material quality.

Granted it's a subjective area and opinions on the subject will vary.
Did your '07 have any dash rattles? That was one of the first things I noticed, on my test-drive. That wasn't the case with the 2010.

Other than that, I think we agree 98-99%
Old 04-18-10, 08:21 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

agreed 100% with the review.
lacrosse is the better looker, ES is the better car.
i wouldn't want either car though.
Old 04-18-10, 08:31 PM
YEH
Pole Position

The LaCrosse drives/handles better, but for those looking for a smooth, cushy comfort ride, the ES is hard to beat.

Edmunds and MT prefer the LaCrosse.

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/es-3...and-video.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/results.html

And a virtual draw in The Globe and Mail comparison.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...t-rail-reviews
Old 04-18-10, 08:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An excellent review....and, in most areas, is right on the money.

I've reviewed and driven both cars, and agree almost 100%.

The only significant disagreement I have with them is the idea of the ES being "dull" in the styling department. Actually, it looks like a CAR. Too many vehicles these days look like space ships.

But the Buick does offer AWD, and the Lexus doesn't.....that's a big plus for the Buick.
I completely agree. To me the ES looks like a CAR, and has a design that is very tasteful. Some call it bland, but others might consider it tasteful and classy. Are Audi and BMW designs bland? I would say so, but many enthusiasts don't classify them as such, instead using more positive terms like "classy" or "elegant" simply because of the reputation BMW and Audi have.

IMHO the mid-cycle refresh Lexus did on the ES makes it look sharper and more expensive.

Having seen both the new LaCrosse and 2010 ES plenty of times on the road, I must say the ES IMHO does look sharper and more expensive.

The LaCrosse to me looks bloated, and like some sort of space ship, not a car. When you're talking about the luxury market, I think making a car look like a space ship is not a good idea. Arguably of course, Buick doesn't really compete in the luxury market.

Originally Posted by YEH
The LaCrosse drives/handles better, but for those looking for a smooth, cushy comfort ride, the ES is hard to beat.

Edmunds and MT prefer the LaCrosse.

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/es-3...and-video.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/results.html

And a virtual draw in The Globe and Mail comparison.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...t-rail-reviews
Several publications disagree, and say the ES rides and handles better.

It's a matter of simple physics. The LaCrosse is larger and heavier than the ES, so it makes sense the ES will be more agile and handle better. Looking at all comparisons of the ES and LaCrosse, overall it seems the Buick still can't beat the Lexus ride quality.
Old 04-18-10, 09:45 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Several publications disagree, and say the ES rides and handles better.

It's a matter of simple physics. The LaCrosse is larger and heavier than the ES, so it makes sense the ES will be more agile and handle better. Looking at all comparisons of the ES and LaCrosse, overall it seems the Buick still can't beat the Lexus ride quality.
While the ES may have a better ride for those who prefer the soft, cushy type - I'd like to see the reviews where they say the ES is more agile and handles better.

Remember, the LaCrosse's chassis was basically engineered in Europe and thus, has more of a European driving feel (and let's not forget the overly numb steering of the ES).
Old 04-18-10, 11:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YEH
While the ES may have a better ride for those who prefer the soft, cushy type - I'd like to see the reviews where they say the ES is more agile and handles better.

Remember, the LaCrosse's chassis was basically engineered in Europe and thus, has more of a European driving feel (and let's not forget the overly numb steering of the ES).
The review this thread is about clearly mentions the ES has better handling and is more agile.
Old 04-19-10, 01:56 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

What irks me is the Buick commercial keep comparing their car to the 2009 ES and not the 2010. While differences are slim, it's still inaccurate. It's April 2010, and they are still showing the 2009 model on TV. If I were Lexus, I'd have some lawyers making some phone calls.
Old 04-19-10, 03:53 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by texan629
How did they embarass themselves? Edmunds and MT voted for the Lacrosse. The Lexus parts and service will be more expensive then the buick. Plus there are more buick dealers in the country so you dont have to drive an hour to get to your nearest lexus dealer.
Just saying that it's not the clear winner that Buick portrays it as. I love the Lacrosse, don't get me wrong. It's just that if you're going to run ads like GM has about the Lacrosse going specifically after a particular model, you better be certain that it will be the winner each time, not a toss up.

Quick Reply: Autoguide: 2010 Lexus ES350 vs 2010 Buick LaCrosse