Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoguide: 2010 Lexus ES350 vs 2010 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 05:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

IMO the cars are very close and it just comes down to personal preference. I still think in a couple of model years the Buicks new (nice IMO) styling will blend in to the crowd just like the 4 year old ES350 has. It happens to most new mainstream cars.
Old 04-19-10, 10:58 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What irks me is the Buick commercial keep comparing their car to the 2009 ES and not the 2010. While differences are slim, it's still inaccurate. It's April 2010, and they are still showing the 2009 model on TV. If I were Lexus, I'd have some lawyers making some phone calls.
IMO, I don't think Lexus is worried, too much free advertising for Lexus at Buck's expense. Buick cannot even mention any of it's models of the last decade when talking about the contemporary Lacrosse.
Old 04-19-10, 11:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I owned an '07 for nearly 4 years and have had a '10 for three months, and from the ownership experience of both, see no difference in the material quality.

Granted it's a subjective area and opinions on the subject will vary.
Yes, but the opinions of experienced and knowledgeable long-term owners of this class of car and of this particular model have merit.

Splitting hairs on trivial perceptions is not how most car buying decisions are made.
Old 04-19-10, 03:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, but the opinions of experienced and knowledgeable long-term owners of this class of car and of this particular model have merit.

Splitting hairs on trivial perceptions is not how most car buying decisions are made.
True, nothing like living with a vehicle for an extended period to understand what it's really like.
Old 04-19-10, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

True, nothing like living with a vehicle for an extended period to understand what it's really like
That doesn't necessarily mean, though, that initial opinions are going to change with time. For example, even being open-minded, my opinon of the 2005-2009 Legacy-Outback line has changed very little, even over the almost 5 years that I have owned mine. My opinions of the line are pretty much the same as they were the day I first saw them.

In some cases, of course, they DO change. I was not impressed with the first ES350s at all, but the 2010's, overall, seem somewhat better, even without a major redesign.

And, sometimes NOT, driving a vehicle every day can actually give you more of a feel for long-term change. If you don't drive a vehicle for a period of time, and then come back and experience it a few years later, the changes (if any) are going to be more noticeable than if you gradually adjusted to them day by day.

Hyundai is another good example of an automaker with vehicles that CAN change one's opinion of them over time. I myself was the ultimate skeptic with Hyundai/Kia vehicles for quite a few years (and, apparantly, justified). But, the fact was that they DID start to make better vehicles, and once I took the time (after about 1998-2000 or so) to start checking some new ones out, I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-10 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 03:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes opinions are like........, everybody has one, or whatever that saying is, supplemented by internet trivia for giggles.

But facts are especially useful.
Old 04-19-10, 03:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

True, nothing like living with a vehicle for an extended period to understand what it's really like.
Exactly, that's the beauty of CL.

All of us do test drives and give feedback, that's no big deal.

But CL with it's diverse group of owners (both Lexus and non-Lexus vehicles) covering so many models that we are interested in, often report on long term experiences. And many of these owners are enthusiasts that have significant past experiences with other premium cars too, given them a perspective that is especially valuable.
Old 04-19-10, 04:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the main topic, the fact that Buick even makes a car that is seriously competitive with any Lexus is a big accomplishment for Buick. Thumbs up.
Old 04-19-10, 04:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Back to the main topic, the fact that Buick even makes a car that is seriously competitive with any Lexus is a big accomplishment for Buick. Thumbs up.
I agree. I saw the new Regal at the Chicago Auto Show and it is a nice looking car. I'm not sure if it will appeal to the typical Buick buyer, or if it will attract the younger buyer they are after, but it looks like a good effort.
Old 04-19-10, 09:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But facts are especially useful.

The fact is that this is the second time that Buick has done so. The Enclave was aimed straight at the RX (though the Enclave is somewhat larger, with more seats), and has done very well in the process. It will be very interesting to see what Buick comes up with to compete with the big Lexus LS....though GM's bankrupcy may delay it some or prevent it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 07:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The fact is that this is the second time that Buick has done so. The Enclave was aimed straight at the RX (though the Enclave is somewhat larger, with more seats), and has done very well in the process. It will be very interesting to see what Buick comes up with to compete with the big Lexus LS....though GM's bankrupcy may delay it some or prevent it.
Yes, but the fact is the Enclave is a rebodied GMC Acadia with 3rd row seat. It doesn't compete directly with RX (which only has 2 rows of seats). In fact since the Enclave was introduced, RX sales have actually increased with the new gen RX being very successful despite a marginal economy.

Agreed, it will be interesting to see what Buick does to compete with Lexus beyond the LaCrosse, but we can only speculate at this point.
Old 04-20-10, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, but the fact is the Enclave is a rebodied GMC Acadia with 3rd row seat. It doesn't compete directly with RX (which only has 2 rows of seats). In fact since the Enclave was introduced, RX sales have actually increased with the new gen RX being very successful despite a marginal economy.
Well, it's hard to really criticize the RX...IMO, it's a superb vehicle inside and out, though the computer-mouse console doesn't impress me. The RX, unlike the Enclave, also offers a hybrid model, which likely explains at least part of its sales lead.

Agreed, it will be interesting to see what Buick does to compete with Lexus beyond the LaCrosse, but we can only speculate at this point.
OK then...let's speculate (admittedly so ). The upcoming Regal could (?) in some ways, compete with base-level IS models, even though it is a 4-cylinder and starts off at a few thousand lower MSRP. It has the required 6-speed automatic, a reasonably nice interior, and, like most recent Buicks, the promise of a decent reliability record. However, my guess is that it will actually be closer, competition-wise, to the Acura TSX.

If this, to you, though, is getting off-topic and best left for another thread.....fine, no problem.
Old 04-20-10, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

OK then...let's speculate (admittedly so ). The upcoming Regal could (?) in some ways, compete with base-level IS models, even though it is a 4-cylinder and starts off at a few thousand lower MSRP. It has the required 6-speed automatic, a reasonably nice interior, and, like most recent Buicks, the promise of a decent reliability record. However, my guess is that it will actually be closer, competition-wise, to the Acura TSX.

If this, to you, though, is getting off-topic and best left for another thread.....fine, no problem.
Yes another example of a non-Lexus competitor, but from what we see about the Regal is looks very promising. It is not expected to take sales away from the IS, 3-series, C-class RWD V6 sport sedans. That doesn't mean that the Regal won't be a standout product in the market place, I think it has potential.
Old 04-20-10, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes an example of a non-Lexus competitor, but from what we see about the Regal is looks very promising. It is not expected to take sales away from the IS, 3-series, C-class RWD V6 sport sedans. That doesn't mean that the Regal won't be a standout product in the market place, I think it has potential. Could easilybe another contemporary hit for Buick, which I agree is just speculation.
Old 04-20-10, 10:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I enjoyed the review too. A couple of months ago we traded in a '07 ES350 for a 2010 ES. While shopping we took a long serious look at the LaCrosse, but for a wide variety of reasons ( among them dealer & ownership experience etc.) went with another ES.

The cars are close in what they offer but we liked the evolutionary changes in the 2010 ES. Separately they don't sound like much, but added together they have improved the car IMO.
wow, you traded from an 07 ES to a 10 ES...you must really love them...its a bit too bland for me...I'd take the LaCrosse over the the ES any day....and you can even get it with 19s...kewl.

Quick Reply: Autoguide: 2010 Lexus ES350 vs 2010 Buick LaCrosse