Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoguide: 2010 Lexus ES350 vs 2010 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 10:43 AM
LexFather

I checked out the Regal at the auto show and it is a good looking car, much better looking in GXP trim. It is no Lexus and not even close to it inside. Cute blue interior lights do not make a Lexus interior.

It is very Euro inside, dark, stark and I had no issue with it. There is a reason it will start around 25k or so which is to say don't expect the interior to be class leading. It competes with the TSX and the INsignia battles the Euro Accord in Europe and I find the Accord interior busier but better built.

The exterior is really nice though.

I think MMarshall and myself have been some of Buicks biggest fans for quite a few years now so the new lineup really makes up grin Not every car needs to be some gotdamn Autobahn wannabe ripper. There is nothing wrong with big, comfy cars.

Old 04-20-10, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think MMarshall and myself have been some of Buicks biggest fans for quite a few years now so the new lineup really makes up grin Not every car needs to be some gotdamn Autobahn wannabe ripper. There is nothing wrong with big, comfy cars.

I'll certainly agree on the comfort factor big-time , but I think something else you and I can agree on was that Buick interiors were (as you would phrase it, Mike ) a gotdamn joke throughout most of the 1990s and up to about 2005 or so....and I'll be the first to admit it. Same old dime-store GM materials inside, everywhere you looked, with only some halfway-decent-looking matte-finish plastic-wood trim in the Park Avenue, LeSabre, and upper-level Regals. That didn't really change until the Century/Regal line became the 1Gen LaCrosse and the Lesabre/Park Avenue became the Lucerne. It is rumored that Bob Lutz himself ordered better-quality GM interiors (especially with Buick) because he himself was embarassed with past Buick offerings and planned for a new Lucerne to replace the chauffer-driven company Cadillac he had previously. The new 2Gen LaCrosse interior, though, still trails the ES350 rival in some areas....that has already been discussed here in this thread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-20-10 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 04:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Here is a quote from Kelley Blue Book regarding an award they gave (2010 Brand Image Awards) for Lexus interiors. Lexus hasn't gone for the too many buttons look of a lot of other cars. I hope they keep it up.

"Lexus interiors aren't extravagant, plush or boundary-pushing, but the fit, finish and attention to detail deliver long-term allure. Clean, comfortable and simple define the typical Lexus interior, which remains user-friendly even as it continues to host more and more technology."

Last edited by LexBob2; 04-20-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 05:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its great that Buick has made a car that can even be compared to a Lexus...............but who gives a crap.......ITS A BUICK.

For the American to sell cars to import buyers their cars can not just match the Japanese, it has to surpass what is offered by its Japanese competition in every way. Still has not happened

Like I have said in the past, we praise the F student for studying for a test and getting the first B+ he has ever received. Guess what.........the kid is still flunking out. We need long term consistent production of vehicles that surpass the rest of the models in the cars class.
Old 04-20-10, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think its great that Buick has made a car that can even be compared to a Lexus...............but who gives a crap.......ITS A BUICK.
Who gives a crap? Well, apparantly, with the new LaCrosse, more than just Grandma and Grandpa. For one thing, just look at the attention it has gotten, in numerous threads, right here on CL.

For the American to sell cars to import buyers their cars can not just match the Japanese, it has to surpass what is offered by its Japanese competition in every way. Still has not happened.
We did it in the 1990's with Saturn, which competed well against the Hondas and Toyotas of the period in a number of ways....and blew them out of the water in customer statisfaction. The new LaCrosse is not perfect (yes, it still has some cheap GM plastic inside), but it's a big step in the right direction.....and so, for that matter, is the new Ford Taurus, a potential LaCrosse competitor.

And, yes, the Taurus.....there's another new domestic that got a lot of attention here on CL.

Like I have said in the past, we praise the F student for studying for a test and getting the first B+ he has ever received. Guess what.........the kid is still flunking out. We need long term consistent production of vehicles that surpass the rest of the models in the cars class.
We've had the excellent Chevy Malibu and Saturn Aura (while the Aura is still available) for several years now. I'd buy a new Malibu before a couple of import-badge mid-sized cars I've seen.

Also, don't forget that the traditional meaning of an "American", "European", or "Asian" car get blurrier and blurrier all the time as the auto industry gets more and more globalized. Companies, literally, now design, produce, and sell their vehicles all over the planet, in scattered facilities everywhere.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-20-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 06:51 AM
LexFather

For the American to sell cars to import buyers their cars can not just match the Japanese, it has to surpass what is offered by its Japanese competition in every way. Still has not happened

The irony is you get DEFENSIVE if people make those same comments about Honda or Infiniti.

Old 04-21-10, 07:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I think a lot of people must give a crap. IIRC in March they sold 5,000 of them. That number has been growing every month.....
Old 07-27-10, 11:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here is a quote from Kelley Blue Book regarding an award they gave (2010 Brand Image Awards) for Lexus interiors. Lexus hasn't gone for the too many buttons look of a lot of other cars. I hope they keep it up.

"Lexus interiors aren't extravagant, plush or boundary-pushing, but the fit, finish and attention to detail deliver long-term allure. Clean, comfortable and simple define the typical Lexus interior, which remains user-friendly even as it continues to host more and more technology."
LexBob2 - Yes, today I'm enjoying a 2009 ES350 loaner from dealership. It's unusually clean for a loaner, with a nice black interior.
Old 07-27-10, 12:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
LexBob2 - Yes, today I'm enjoying a 2009 ES350 loaner from dealership. It's unusually clean for a loaner, with a nice black interior.
Please post thoughts later!

Old 07-27-10, 01:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

IS-SV, we're enjoying our 2010 ES too. Compared to the '07 we had, they made a number of small changes which all together have made it an even more enjoyable car for long trips, sitting in traffic etc.
Old 07-27-10, 04:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please post thoughts later!
Just returned the 2009 ES350 a few minutes ago, so I only had it for the day. The last ES350 I had was a 2007 and I had that one for over a week (which I commented on after extensive mileage in city/suburban/mountain driving).

I did like the interior of the 2009 considerably more than the 2007, fit/finish/style was excellent and appropriate for a luxury car. Tranny responsiveness was also better than the 2007. Steering feel was a bit numbed by the FWD and torque steer was apparent when accelerating hard (alignment/tire wear did not appear to be a factor and was fine on this car w/ 20K miles). The car looked luxurious in dark metallic gray (truffle mica I think) with black interior. No rattles, buzzing, crashing over bumps, etc., nice and quiet. Ride/handling balance was nice with emphasis more on ride as expected. Engine refinement was excellent and power very good. Overall I enjoyed the car today in mainly fast but busy freeway driving with small amounts of stop and go city driving.
Old 07-27-10, 05:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Nice concise and to the point write-up.
Old 07-27-10, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just returned the 2009 ES350 a few minutes ago, so I only had it for the day. The last ES350 I had was a 2007 and I had that one for over a week (which I commented on after extensive mileage in city/suburban/mountain driving).

I did like the interior of the 2009 considerably more than the 2007, fit/finish/style was excellent and appropriate for a luxury car. Tranny responsiveness was also better than the 2007. Steering feel was a bit numbed by the FWD and torque steer was apparent when accelerating hard (alignment/tire wear did not appear to be a factor and was fine on this car w/ 20K miles). The car looked luxurious in dark metallic gray (truffle mica I think) with black interior. No rattles, buzzing, crashing over bumps, etc., nice and quiet. Ride/handling balance was nice with emphasis more on ride as expected. Engine refinement was excellent and power very good. Overall I enjoyed the car today in mainly fast but busy freeway driving with small amounts of stop and go city driving.
Thanks for the write-up. The 2009's interior is indeed nicer then the first-year 2007 models of this generation, but the 2010's interior, with significant wood-trim and other upgrades, even more so. And, yes, the 2007 model I reviewed, in addition to its disappointing interior, had dash squeaks/creaks as well, even on a brand-new car. The ride on the current-Gen model, while OK, is not nearly as soft as that of the former, softer tired/softer-suspension ES330....it seemed slightly softer on the 2010 model I drove than the similiar 2007-2009. As you note, though (correctly), the powertrain is still magic-carpet smooth/quiet. And the Lexus paint jobs are as good as ever, though there seems to be a little orange-peel on the black ones.

Glad you enjoyed your drive with it Have you had a chance to drive a new LaCrosse....its prime competitor? The interior materials, though glitzy, are not quite up to Lexus levels, but, otherwise, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 09:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Glad you enjoyed your drive with it Have you had a chance to drive a new LaCrosse....its prime competitor? The interior materials, though glitzy, are not quite up to Lexus levels, but, otherwise, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks, it was good driving a proven and improved leading luxury car. The ride was plenty soft, especially when noting the acceptable handling (and higher limits) and braking ability not found in previous softer riding cars, important to me in terms of active safety.

Haven't taken the time to drive LaCrosse, although I might later. Personally it's not my kind of car, too big and performance at the low end of scale for my preferences (being sport sedans). I do admire the luxury aspects and style and I know it's the best Buick available today by far.

Last edited by IS-SV; 07-28-10 at 09:31 AM. Reason: sp