Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoguide: 2010 Lexus ES350 vs 2010 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 09:22 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autoguide: 2010 Lexus ES350 vs 2010 Buick LaCrosse

Guess who the winner was

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...s350-1327.html
Old 04-16-10, 09:29 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

From every and all angles the new LaCrosse is a dozen times more attractive than the dreadfully dull Lexus.
lol Sad, but true
Old 04-16-10, 09:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The current gen ES got a lot of positive buzz on the styling when it first came out. But after 4 years on the market there's always newer styling each year to contend with. The new LaCrosse is nice looking and contemporary.
Old 04-16-10, 09:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the mid-cycle refreshes that Lexus went through with their current generations. Made all the cars blander.
Old 04-16-10, 09:45 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ES is the great car, because its very well priced. Its something in between IS and GS
Old 04-16-10, 10:22 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let the best car win indeed. lol.
Old 04-16-10, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

An excellent review....and, in most areas, is right on the money.

I've reviewed and driven both cars, and agree almost 100%.

The only significant disagreement I have with them is the idea of the ES being "dull" in the styling department. Actually, it looks like a CAR. Too many vehicles these days look like space ships.

But the Buick does offer AWD, and the Lexus doesn't.....that's a big plus for the Buick.
Old 04-16-10, 12:32 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

It's really quite shocking how LARGE and tall the LaCrosse is. A few years ago people gave Lexus cars flack for being too high off the ground, but the LaCrosse looks like it could handle some mild off-pavement duty

In the end I think they picked the right car. Also, for what it is and who buys the car, I think the ES is a great looking sedan. My .02.
Old 04-16-10, 12:37 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, it looks like a CAR. Too many vehicles these days look like space ships.
I always get a chuckle when you say things like that. I mean, what is a car supposed to look like? Down through history cars have always evolved into new stylistic territories. Once upon a time cars looked like the Model T but things changed and progressed. From the 20's to the 40's all cars got massive and turtle-like, during the 50's everything tried to be bullet shaped, in the 60's they became very angular and that trend lasted until the 80's when jellybean styling came into vogue. I guess I'm saying there's never been a set definition of what a car is supposed to look like.
Old 04-16-10, 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It's really quite shocking how LARGE and tall the LaCrosse is. A few years ago people gave Lexus cars flack for being too high off the ground, but the LaCrosse looks like it could handle some mild off-pavement duty
The LaCrosse also has the small, chopped-look "peek-a-boo" windows first seen on the RWD Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum. That seems to be becoming one of the newest styling fads.

My own opinion (for what little it is worth) on the height of the Buick is that, with Buick's traditional core-buyer-class of senior citizens, they find it difficult to get into and out of low-slung cars. Buick may indeed be trying to find younger buyers these days, but it can't totally ignore their grandparents in the process.
Old 04-16-10, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
I always get a chuckle when you say things like that. I mean, what is a car supposed to look like? Down through history cars have always evolved into new stylistic territories. Once upon a time cars looked like the Model T but things changed and progressed. From the 20's to the 40's all cars got massive and turtle-like, during the 50's everything tried to be bullet shaped, in the 60's they became very angular and that trend lasted until the 80's when jellybean styling came into vogue. I guess I'm saying there's never been a set definition of what a car is supposed to look like.
I agree that styling is subjective, and opinions differ. But that's why we have CAR CHAT.

But the point is that styling change doesn't have to happen just for change's sake...as many automakers seem to believe. The VW Beetle, Porscle 911, and, yes, the Model T that you mentioned proved that.

Anyhow, compared to the LaCrosse, the ES does, of course, look less-traditional (I'm not contesting that). But, look at the ES's good sales figures.....there's something to be said for that styling. How well the LaCrosse will sell remains to be seen.
Old 04-16-10, 01:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the LaCrosse is the best thing Buick has going in the US currently, look at the March sales figures, it's doing very well already.

I enjoyed the review.
Old 04-16-10, 01:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I enjoyed the review too. A couple of months ago we traded in a '07 ES350 for a 2010 ES. While shopping we took a long serious look at the LaCrosse, but for a wide variety of reasons ( among them dealer & ownership experience etc.) went with another ES.

The cars are close in what they offer but we liked the evolutionary changes in the 2010 ES. Separately they don't sound like much, but added together they have improved the car IMO.
Old 04-16-10, 01:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I enjoyed the review too. A couple of months ago we traded in a '07 ES350 for a 2010 ES. While shopping we took a long serious look at the LaCrosse, but for a wide variety of reasons ( among them dealer & ownership experience etc.) went with another ES.

The cars are close in what they offer but we liked the evolutionary changes in the 2010 ES. Separately they don't sound like much, but added together they have improved the car IMO.
When we are spending considerable sums of hard-earned money for a luxury car the decision includes important factors like proven reliability, depreciation and quality that all impact cost of ownership, (not to mention safety, luxury, refinement, comfort, performance). In short (realizing my taste leans towards sport sedans), I prefer the ES.
Old 04-16-10, 02:03 PM
LexFather

The Buick humping continues. Look its a grand improvement over Buicks past but lets see how it holds up after 5 years.

The Lacrosse looks good WITH the large wheels. With the stock 17s it looks horrible.

Also the ES is tastefully done and handsome. How is handsome bland and dull? The ES is refrained elegance and one of the best lookers in class. You don't need gotdamn zigzap lines everywhere to add style.

I think both are good cars but don't be fooled by all the wins by the Lacrosse, it still is behind with its interior, materials, MPG and ride.

Quick Reply: Autoguide: 2010 Lexus ES350 vs 2010 Buick LaCrosse