Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EVO Slams the RS5 - "...a long way from perfect"

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 10:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EVO Slams the RS5 - "...a long way from perfect"

We drive Audi's new RS5

Audi's 450bhp, 4wd RS5 coupe should be an M3 beater. But is it? Chris Harris reports

What is it?

The latest RS model from Audi, the RS5 coupe, which joins the TTRS and RS6. There have never been three RS models on sale at the same time before. It uses a new 4.2-litre naturally aspirated V8 with 444bhp and 317lb ft of torque. The motor isn’t a re-worked version of the old RS4’s V8, it’s actually 4/5ths of the Audi R8's 5.2-litre V10.

Technical highlights

The motor, which revs to 8500rpm, is nearly 30bhp more powerful than the RS4’s engine and yet produces just 252g/km of CO2 against the old car's 324g/km. A C63 puts out 319g/km.

The chassis is arguably more interesting, with Audi choosing this car to showcase its new Quattro transmission, and in particular its new centre differential. This is a compact, mechanically operated unit that can put up to 70 percent of torque to the front wheels and 85 to the rear. It works alongside a torque-vectoring system (braking of the inside wheel) and you can specify the rear sport differential that was introduced on the S4. Audi claims it’s the best all-wheel drive sports car chassis on sale. It also uses the word ‘oversteer’ in its launch preamble, which in the past has proved to be an unwise move.

What’s it like to drive?

A little confusing. This is not a direct M3 rival, it is much more the everyday GT with an amusing turn of speed. The confusion comes in the slight disharmony that exists between powertrain and chassis. Taken in isolation the RS5 excels in both categories: the engine is tuneful, smooth and loves to rev – in fact it needs to rev to feel anything like as fast as the figures suggest.

Thankfully, the 7-speed S-Tronic transmission is typically superb, even if the intermediate ratios are too long. The trouble is, the RS5 seems to like a quieter life. It is exceptionally refined, and with the DRC (Dynamic Ride Control) set to comfort it rides well on Spanish roads, but we need to drive it in the UK just to make sure. So you’re left with a car whose chassis wants you to relax, but whose engine and gearbox must be worked very hard to produce the performance you’d expect. Like I said, confusing.

The chassis is very clever though. It resists understeer better than anything this heavy has any right to. Traction is very impressive and it speaks volumes of the advances in mechanical grip found with this new centre diff that even running very fast on a circuit, the ESP hardly ever interrupts. But does it really feel like the rear axle is doing more than the front, like a GT-R? Of course it doesn’t, it’s an Audi.

Special mention must go to the new, round, steering wheel. It was Audi that gave us the hideous cut-off wheel a few years back: great news that it appears to have ditched the silly idea.

How does it compare?

A BMW M3 is sharper, faster, far more interactive and – I have to assume - nothing like as relaxing to live with. The combination of S-Tronic and 4WD will really suit the UK market. The Mercedes C63 AMG is closer in concept and far more characterful, but on a damp road its driver would be all over the place following an RS5. Which actually sounds rather fun. The GT-R trounces the Audi for speed and dynamics but its interior is nothing like as appealing.

Anything else I need to know?

I’m going to say something a little controversial, but I was a touch disappointed with this car. It’s nothing like as characterful as the last RS4, and for all its technical brilliance it lacks roll-on performance – ironically just the type that the turbocharged S4 offers. It’s a fine car, but a long way from perfect.
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...s_new_rs5.html
Old 04-16-10, 10:51 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

disappointing! he forgot to mention how ridiculously overpriced this thing really is.
Old 04-16-10, 10:54 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Ouch. Just playing devil's advocate, but perhaps Audi is positioning this as a M6 competitor (GT) rather than a m3 fighter (Sports car)? If that's the case, how does it compare to the current gen M6?

Just to broaden to discussion, and out of curiosity, what if the S5 is competing with the 650i? Wouldn't that make the S5 is far better deal, and what does the 6 offer over the S5 which justifies its nearly 20k price difference?
Old 04-16-10, 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ouch ouch ouch ouch... . this is a pretty bad slam on the car even before their US prices are out.

the s5 is no 6 series imho. i don't think it's as big and it doesn't carry the same status. not even in the same league.

but if you want to talk about performance, if the rs5 is that far behind the m3, the m6 won't really lose out much at all neither. although the m5/m6 are bigger than the m3, but baring the m badge, those cars are pretty serious about performance too

sigh... and i think the rs5 looks great
Old 04-16-10, 01:36 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to post something clever about platforms,

how the 6 is based on the 5

and the A5 is based on the A4, etc. etc. and how the 6 vs. A5 is stupid.

but a quick gander has revealed to me that Audi's MLP (Modular Longitudinal Platform) underpins basically every car in Audi's lineup except the A3 and the Q7...
Old 04-16-10, 01:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would have thought the price would have been enough to bury this car. I guess theres more to the story.

No matter how you slice it most people are not going to spend 100k for an Audi unless it has the letters R and 8 on the back of the vehicle
Old 04-16-10, 02:04 PM
LexFather

Damn not good...was expecting this to have it all together.

Old 04-16-10, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Funny that they are referring to the M3 as a bargain. This Audi must be way overpriced
Old 04-16-10, 03:21 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's unfortunate. Not sure what else to say about it... haha
Old 04-16-10, 04:00 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

..and what's exactly perfect since it's so far away from it?
Old 04-16-10, 04:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would have thought the price would have been enough to bury this car. I guess theres more to the story.

No matter how you slice it most people are not going to spend 100k for an Audi unless it has the letters R and 8 on the back of the vehicle
you really don't read much, do you? where did you see official 100k tag on the rs5 here in the US?
Old 04-16-10, 04:56 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Lol at audi. I never really like Audi. They are over priced and always underperformed.
Old 04-16-10, 09:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
disappointing! he forgot to mention how ridiculously overpriced this thing really is.
"Expensive" is a relative term. With the possible exception of the VW GTI, there is probably no such thing as an inexpensive German sport-oriented vehicle, at least in the American market. Even the entry-level BMW 1-series can cost significant $$$$$.
Old 04-17-10, 02:32 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Chris Harris, must say he is my favorite in a crowded field.