Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thinking of buying a 350z as a second car

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 02:49 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 260hpTypeS
For the money, there is no better performance bargain out there than a used C5 Z06 IMHO. Low 12s and 1.0g on the skidpad WILL put a huge smile on your face on the weekend.
Only if you can get over the cheap interior. Much improved in the C6.

The S2000 is a decent weekend car. Car handles well, has decent acceleration, has pretty good reliability. The differentials are the weakpoint. Haven't heard of transmissions blowing on the AP2 (2004+). Overall build quality is pretty good.

Then again, I'm very tame when I drive my cars. Rarely do I floor the accelerator. Usually when I get a new car, I drive it over to a friend from high school that shared a passion for cars, and he drives it much harder, "showing" me what the car is capable of.
Old 04-20-10, 03:05 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by meowCat
NSX is a chick magnet car...... and how can you turn down a car that's made of aluminum monocoque body and hand made engine and hand stitched interior? not to mention.. titanium rods...

Haha -- and that's what girls think about when they see the NSX.

NSX is more likely to attract 14 year old boys (bad) than 18+ year old girls (good)!
Old 04-20-10, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
S2000 would be fun too but that may depend on how you plan to use the car; as some stated, you have to rev it pretty hard to get into any of the powerband. The Z, IMO, is not a torque monster either, but it's definitely better than the S2000 in that area.
The S2000's powerplant, for the most part, is just not designed for the typical RPMs found in normal street driving. The redline/HP/torque peaks are all far too high, especially on the early models. It is, in many ways, IMO, better suited for a track, though its canyon-carving ability on twisty roads is also exceptional, where it compares favorably with the Mazda Miata and Porsche Boxster.

The 3.7L VQ engine in the 370Z, as you note, while more torquey at lower RPMs than the S2000's powerplant, is still not a torque monster at low revs either. I've sampled that engine in both the new 370Z and Infiniti G37 Coupe, and both were progressively got more responsive as revs approached about 4000 RPM or so. But it seems more at home on the street....power still comes on several thousand RPM earlier than with the S2000's VTEC four-banger.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-20-10 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 07:24 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

You mis-understood what I wrote. It's a chick magnet because of the "LOOKS", not because it has titanium push rods and not because it's an aluminum monocoque body. They don't know that. And 14 year old boys don't know that either. This car is for the "adults" anywhere from 30's to 60's. Older people appreciate this car more, not young folks (teens to 20).

Understood. Personally, I think the looks are a little dated and it lost it's 'chick magnet' status several years ago -- of course, this is just my opinion.

Nonetheless, it's still a fun car to drive. I would take one over a 350z, if you're willing to pay for higher maintenance and accept one with higher mileage than a comparably priced 350z.
Old 05-07-10, 02:24 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually... NSX is known for low maintenance costs compare to other sportscars like the entry level class Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. This vehicle is known for reliability. Yeah, things like clutch if it goes out it's more expensive than the ones from Honda Civic or Accord, but they don't exactly brake that easily either. Oil change is cheap, just like any other non-sportscars. Tires? well, performance tires for 350z, 370z, NSX, Supra, etc are all the same so it's out the window. The key is, NSX is very reliable.

Hey, I wasn't recommending you an NSX. I was talking to Rock-a-Lex... not you.

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
Then again, I'm very tame when I drive my cars. Rarely do I floor the accelerator. Usually when I get a new car, I drive it over to a friend from high school that shared a passion for cars, and he drives it much harder, "showing" me what the car is capable of.

HAHA....BRIAN BUDDY....its such a small world. So I saw Brian (MoogieBoogie) the other day and he asked if I post on ClubLexus, and I said yes. IRONICALLY enough, Brian is referring to me as his "friend from high school."

MeowCat, Brian (MoogieBoogie) is VERY humble and actually owns an NSX. Actually he has a BEAUTIFUL collection of cars (NSX, Supra, S2000, 5-speed Sc300). Brian, lets get a photoshoot together for ClubLexus. What do you say?

Brian has been VERY KIND and has allowed me to see what all of his cars "are capable of!"