Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thinking of buying a 350z as a second car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 03:27 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 350z as a second car

So i'm looking for a second car, something along the line of a roadster to fixed up and use as a weekend car. I'm looking at either the a used 350z, s2000 or a Z4.

I never owned a Nissan and never thought I would but the Z really stand out to me when they are fixed up. What do you guys think of the Z. The good, the bad, and the ugly?

I already own a Lexus IS250, which is still stock and a daily driver.
Old 04-16-10, 03:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am also considering a 350Z as a second car. I wanna see the replies too.
I visit www.my350z.com quite a bit though. I think it's an awesome car. It can be modded bigtime but actully performs quite well with minor mods and even stock it's nothing to sneeze at.
From what I read the realibility is good and it's even comfy enough for long rides. The right cosmetic mods make it almost exotic looking. It can handle super low offsets for really wild fitment.
It's high on my list.
Old 04-16-10, 06:01 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had a few Z owners on here.

It will make a great weekend car for sure!!
Old 04-16-10, 06:06 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know something, it's not something I had ever thought about (Z) but saw the thread title and said "why not"?

And the more I think about it, the better the idea sounds. I don't see many around the city either lately, might be worth looking into.
Old 04-16-10, 06:38 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z is legendary. Excellent second car, IMO
Old 04-16-10, 08:07 PM
LexFather

I agree great 2nd car good luck

Old 04-16-10, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good luck.

The main things to watch out for on used 350Z's, especially the early models, are loose/broken interior trim parts/***** (the quality of much of the plastic used was not the greatest), and irregularly-worn tires from suspension/alignment problems. Tires on the early models sometimes wore badly and lopsided, created a lot of road noise, and were the source of a number of owner complaints. Nissan did a lot of warranty suspension/alignment work, and replaced a lot of tires free on those early models. Later models were not affected as much.....or were the still later 370Zs.

I don't know of any significant reliability problems with used S2000s, although the engine had an extremely high redline (9000 RPM on early models, with the HP peak at 8600 and the torque peak at 7600) and so tended to be driven hard. Consumer Reports blacked-marked the S-2000's transmission for a couple of years, but did not elaborate.

The Z4, like many used BMW's, can be expected to have at least some electrical problems here and there. Fuel pumps are also a problem on some BMWs, but I don't know if that affected the Z4 any or not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-10 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-17-10, 01:00 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good luck.

The main things to watch out for on used 350Z's, especially the early models, are loose/broken interior trim parts/***** (the quality of much of the plastic used was not the greatest), and irregularly-worn tires from suspension/alignment problems. Tires on the early models sometimes wore badly and lopsided, created a lot of road noise, and were the source of a number of owner complaints. Nissan did a lot of warranty suspension/alignment work, and replaced a lot of tires free on those early models. Later models were not affected as much.....or were the still later 370Zs.

I don't know of any significant reliability problems with used S2000s, although the engine had an extremely high redline (9000 RPM on early models, with the HP peak at 8600 and the torque peak at 7600) and so tended to be driven hard. Consumer Reports blacked-marked the S-2000's transmission for a couple of years, but did not elaborate.

The Z4, like many used BMW's, can be expected to have at least some electrical problems here and there. Fuel pumps are also a problem on some BMWs, but I don't know if that affected the Z4 any or not.
S2000's clutch was weak, that was the transmission's "downfall".

It is a downfall, being that its on a 10,000 RPM engine. The AP1 (1st gen S2000) were the only ones to have that issue. AP2's were upgraded.
Old 04-17-10, 01:31 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I suppose if you shared with us what your looking for we could be more helpful. The 350Z is not a particular quick nor fast car, interior is bland at best, but it does handle well, and looks decent. The neighbor has one which has been fairly dependable to him.
I always felt a second car should be the 'choice' car with gobs of power, looks, and a bit of uniqueness. But that's me.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 04-17-10 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-17-10, 02:07 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I suppose if your shared with us what your looking for we could be more helpful. The 350Z is not a particular quick nor fast car, interior is bland at best, but it does handle well, and looks decent. The neighbor has one which has been fairly dependable to him.
I always felt a second car should be the 'choice' car with gobs of power, looks, and a bit of uniqueness. But that's me.
Says the guy with 600HP AMG Drive one, I agree they look pretty cool but wait till you sit in one and drive it around 4 a bit. Do not get your hopes up though
Old 04-17-10, 02:20 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg400
Says the guy with 600HP AMG Drive one, I agree they look pretty cool but wait till you sit in one and drive it around 4 a bit. Do not get your hopes up though
LOL, of course the price is right on a used 350. I know someone that just bought a clean 300TT. Talk about a flash back, when that car came out it took car styling to a new level.

It would be a tough choice but I would look at the S2000 as well and perhaps a nice Boxster. Heck even a nice 996 with higher cared for miles is very affordable these days and a 911 is always an xlnt 2nd car.
Old 04-17-10, 07:45 AM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have to agree with PearlPower on this, the 350z wouldn't be at the top of my list if I were looking for a weekend car.

What do you intend to use the car for? Just cruising around on weekends or do you intend on racing it?
Old 04-17-10, 01:22 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

For the money, there is no better performance bargain out there than a used C5 Z06 IMHO. Low 12s and 1.0g on the skidpad WILL put a huge smile on your face on the weekend.
Old 04-17-10, 01:31 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 260hpTypeS
For the money, there is no better performance bargain out there than a used C5 Z06 IMHO. Low 12s and 1.0g on the skidpad WILL put a huge smile on your face on the weekend.
In my book, a Vette would be more than a weekend car. I'd drive the heck out of it.
Old 04-17-10, 02:20 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
In my book, a Vette would be more than a weekend car. I'd drive the heck out of it.
haha....you are so right. I bought my vette thinking it would be my "weekend car." BUT now I LOVE driving the vette so much that now the only time I drive my TL is when it rains out. Heck, I used to love driving my TL, now I hate driving my TL....probably going to sell it

The only reason I DONT recommend getting a vette is because your daily driver will become not so special anymore.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 350z as a second car