Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Typical Truck BS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 09:49 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Typical Truck BS

After dropping off some yard waste today with the Dakota, we swung by the Honda dealer to see how well my wife could transfer into an Element and Ridgeline. (Neither work really well. The Element's dash shelf is too close to the seat causing her to hit her knee when getting in. The Ridgeline door opening is rather narrow and the seat is quite tall.) Anyway, as we're driving off to pick up lunch, I notice the check engine light is on. How typical. I made it just past halfway through the month before needed another truck repair. I'll have to call my son-in-law mechanic and have him fix the P0455 (large evap leak) problem on the Dakota when he's done doing the summer prep for the Allante. I'm getting more and more tempted to sell both of these old vehicles and get a newer winter driver.
Old 04-17-10, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Usually, the first thing to look for when the "Check Engine" light comes on is a loose or leaking gas cap. The rubber O-ring on the cap has to form a perfect seal with the filler-pipe opening to prevent gas fumes from leaking out (one of the EPA emissions-mandates). A vacuum-sensor will trigger the light if the cap is not screwed on tight enough, or if the rubber ring has worn/deteriorated enough to affect the seal.

If screwing on the gas cap a little tighter (or a new gas cap) doesn't solve the problem (sometimes it will take a few computer-driving cycles to reset the light), then, of course, you can take it to the shop (or your son-in-law) and get the diagnostic plug hooked up. But sometimes, just adjusting the gas cap saves a lot of time and money.

If your wife doesn't like the Ridgeline (or another Dakota), there's the Toyota Tacoma and Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, which are all about the same size outside. But, to be honest, I don't recommend the GM twins...IMO, they are poorly-built and have a lot of cheap parts. The Ford Ranger is still on the market and has decent build quality, but it's dated by modern truck standards, has a stiff uncomfortable ride, and is somewhat smaller than the Dakota you are used to.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-17-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-17-10, 11:44 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

The gas cap was my first suspicion. My buddy, who previously owned the truck, replaced it about a year ago just before I bought it. According to dodgeforum, this is a common problem and could likely be a cracked hose under the hood. This is one of the reasons I'm glad my daughter married a mechanic.

My wife really likes the Ridgeline, but it is too high. She has to use a step to get in and she's lost the ability to always safely get up onto a step. She had a tough time with it this morning.

We can just get her into an Element without a step, but her knees hit the dash when I swing them in. I'm going to have to check out the elementownersclub if there is a way to have the passenger seat slide back further.

I'm also planning to check out a Tacoma, Baja, and last-gen Forester. I want to find something with a pickup bed or a larger cargo space that isn't all carpeted.

I think the Colorado / Canyon are OK looking, but I haven't heard anything good about their reliability. If I'm going to go that way, I might as well look for one with a V8 or a Trailblazer SS.
Old 04-17-10, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner

I'm also planning to check out a Tacoma, Baja, and last-gen Forester. I want to find something with a pickup bed or a larger cargo space that isn't all carpeted.
If that's the case, not wanting a carpeted cargo bed, you could also check out the Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

I think the Colorado / Canyon are OK looking, but I haven't heard anything good about their reliability. If I'm going to go that way, I might as well look for one with a V8 or a Trailblazer SS.
Consumer Reports has seriously panned the Colorado/Canyon reliability, and if you go and check one out, I don't think you will find their build quality very impressive. I sure didn't. They are also, to an extent, underpowered with the standard, in-line five-cylinder.
Old 04-17-10, 12:29 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If that's the case, not wanting a carpeted cargo bed, you could also check out the Ford Explorer Sport Trac.
Yes, the Sport Trac is on my list also, but I suspect it may also be a bit too tall. When I returned my MKZ lease this week, I asked my salesman to keep an eye out for one.
Old 04-18-10, 09:36 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

too bad your wife wasn't comfortable enough in the element....
we have an '04 EX with 123K, and still love it.... as a matter of fact, planning on getting a newer one some day...
GL with your search!
Old 04-18-10, 12:24 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

The Element is staying on the list. I can at least get my wife into it without a step. I've worked around problems with her knees hitting the dash before. The Element seems to have a very useful and flexible setup in a small package. It is styling challenged, though.
Old 04-18-10, 12:51 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

^^^LOL, no doubt, it is very ugly! But, it makes up for it in so many ways...
elementownersclub is a great forum if your looking for any detailed information
Old 04-18-10, 01:45 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Thanks. I'm C3 RV over there. Have been lurking there for a while, on-and-off.
Old 04-18-10, 02:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what it is about Chrysler products, but they are notorious for that engine like coming on all the time. My wife owns a 2002 Jeep Wrangler which I drive a lot. The thing only has 83,000 miles and the problems are piling up like you wouldn't believe. The engine light has been on more often than not because of evac leaks and the O2 sensor. Another issue that seemingly hits every Chrysler product is power steering leaks which this has as well. There also seems to be a coolant leak and the tranny is slipping here and there. I wanted to get rid of it a long time ago but my wife wants nothing but a Wrangler.

Meanwhile, my Yaris has 80,000 miles and not a single issue has come up. There's not even a hint of wear on it. But I digress.

Anyway, good luck on your decision. No interest in the Tacoma?
Old 04-18-10, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I don't know what it is about Chrysler products, but they are notorious for that engine like coming on all the time. My wife owns a 2002 Jeep Wrangler which I drive a lot. The thing only has 83,000 miles and the problems are piling up like you wouldn't believe. The engine light has been on more often than not because of evac leaks and the O2 sensor.
The O2 sensor is considered, more or less, a normal-wear item. With most vehicles, you can generally expect to replace it at least once or twice in the vehicle's lifetime. Much, of course, depends on the quality of the gasoline used and how much it tends to gum things up. That's why I usually recommend either Shell or Chevron.

Replacing it, though, can be a real b***h for the technician, once the O2 assembly (or threads) get burned into the 900-degree exhaust pipe.
Old 04-19-10, 06:47 AM
LexFather

What recently got me about the Element was the S/C version. I thought it meant "Supercharged' like with everyone else but its just some special edition.

Fooled me!

Old 04-19-10, 04:38 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What recently got me about the Element was the S/C version. I thought it meant "Supercharged' like with everyone else but its just some special edition.

Fooled me!
yup, and they only come in 2WD
no bueno for NY winter weather...
Old 04-19-10, 05:55 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

My son-in-law dropped off the Allante and took the truck today. He said his sisters Dodge van had the same code last week. He thinks it will be a quick fix. He is also going to address the rust starting on the inside bottom edge of the tailgate.

Yes, of course, I put the top down on the Allante and took a drive. My wife definitely doesn't want me to sell that car for a truck. If I replace the Dakota, it will have be one-for-one, not two-for-one.
Old 04-19-10, 06:37 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about current Domestic vehicles, but I know of a handful that fall into the category of big vehicles and small engines, this GMC thing looks somewhat nice but it deserves a quality engine like the Toyota or Nissan 3.5, when I see it and see what engine it has all I think is what a waste, the engine is gonna have such a short life, I would guess 80-100k before it burns out, the only exception is if it's actually designed well, but from what I've seen, currently only time will tell, and I would not suggest anyone buy this if they are looking for good value for their money.