Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The car based middle finger
I use the middle finger as my weapon of choice in the car
9.68%
I don't use the middle finger
25.81%
I use the middle finger sometimes, rarely
33.87%
In the past I was all about giving you the finger
9.68%
I would give 1sicklex the finger 24/7
20.97%
Goats don't have middle fingers
16.13%
Crap, I only have 4 fingers
3.23%
I give people "the shocker"
12.90%
The finger? I give them the arm!
9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKBLOG: The true medal of honor, the middle finger from another vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 06:41 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Your Dad truly knows how to drive. He is the man, a man with passion and highly experienced. Apparently you aren't experienced enough and know how to drive properly.
I prefer not to be a lemming, thank you much.

Jewcano, I am disappointed in you. You need to run into some crazy people out there with their hummer to run you off the road, or hit you in the rear left end and get you lose traction and go slam right into the lane divider or run right into the ditch. Lesson will be learned some day, soon or later.

LESSON #1: Don't **** with people by blocking fast lane. You are seriously asking for trouble. Do not take risks as if you go out of luck you could get hurt....

Thanks for the love bro. Let me try to make this as clear as possible, because I can see how what I said earlier makes it look, or was even worded in a way that made it look like I am always in the left lane. I prefer going 65, helps my mpg and is good enough for me. However when I'm obeying the limit and someone is in the right lane going slower than myself but by barely to the point where I'm creeping up on them, then I will move to the left lane to pass. However I ride with cruise on, and I will NOT gas it to go faster to pass them. This is when folks going 70+ start to ride my *** and at that point if they do so, I'll either brake check them if they get uncomfortably close, or I'll remain at my current speed until I'm well enough to pass the slow individual. However sometimes there's a group of folks like that, and I'm not going to cruise weave back and forth to pass them all so I will use that left lane to pass them all, albeit a little slower than the rest.
Old 04-20-10, 07:01 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
It just makes me wonder why everyones in such a damn rush.
We all know drivers regularly exceed the limit, but contributing to the problem that is road rage, doesn't help, either. People rarely learn lessons from brake-checking, and usually, the persons ego takes over, while indifferent drivers suffer the consequences. I've seen too many ignorant situations unfold, because one driver decided he should impose his will on another, when both drivers could've simply taken the passive approach and gone about their [healthy] lives. Law enforcement, though far from perfect, handles the job better than any of us can.

IMO, speed in itself, can be handled responsibly. Maintaining a constant speed faster than the lane to the right of you, while passing on the left, can be very predictable and safe. A good portion of the problem is that drivers don't understand the concept of lane discipline, and so we have drivers in all lanes, switching and merging at various speeds, constantly, with pretty bad results.

Seriously, proper lane discipline would address the very issue you mentioned here: "Especially when moving requires me to press more on the gas to pass the guy next to me, or press on the brakes to get behind him".
Old 04-20-10, 10:31 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Mike,, I def feel ya on the #1 salute, and I get them all the time; but for different reasons(obviously). I know for a fact that there isn't a day that goes by when I don't receive one. As a trucker, I have to deal with road rage on a daily basis, as well as all of the other people doing STUPID things in front of me, except MY fast lane(as it is in most states illegal for me to be in the far left) is the middle lane. The way that people drive(truckers included,, all of us are not angels) is astounding. I too have been assaulted by the Prius brigade jumping in front of me,most of the time at the last minute, and slowing me down. Honestly,,would YOU want to jump in front of 40 tons of truck traveling at 70 mph(my trucks governed top speed)? Yet,, day in and day out the Prius assault begins. I too have to agree with your statement on "smug" honda owners,as it seems to me as well that I get assaulted by them the most; regardless of whatever state I am traveling in. Now I know that NO ONE wants to be behind a truck for any reason, and that is understandable, but why be stupid about your actions tho? I DON'T ride on the bumpers of people, I DO move over(traffic permitting) to let you onto the highway, and as long as you at least give some conscious effort to let me know you are aware of my presence, will make a hole for you in front of me so you can change lanes. Yet, still I get subjected to the constant "brake checks"(Jewcano,,LOL!!), the "you're going too fast for my car so I am gonna slow you down with my Prius", and of course the "well you didn't let me over when I wanted to cut you off in traffic, so you're #1 buddy" EVERYDAY. All I can tell you is welcome to my world. The world of idioticy, inconsiderateness, and just plain smugness. In most cases, this is the view that most people have of me in their mirrors, and I am just fine with it. I will not aggressively persue you, but if you are brave enuff to do something stupid in front of me, this is what you will see in the mirror. I do, however, monitor my own driving to make sure that I do not counteract your stupidity with my own.
Man, I know exactly how you feel. There is NOTHING worse than being in a Rig, with a 53' trailer, and having some JACKASS fly around you cause you are going to slow (by him) and then nearly clip your bumper coming into the lane in front of you. If he does it and he is gone, thats the end of it for me, but so HELP ME GOD, if ANYONE brake-checks me in a car, when I am in a rig, they deserve whatever they get. If you think I can stop 40 tons of cargo as fast as you can brake-check, you are going to get hurt. Plain and simple, it is not physically possible.

Worst part is, there are ALOT of people like this. They dont like me in the left lane passing a line of cars, so when I complete my pass, they get in front of me and brake-check. Are you retarded? Do you want to die? I can definately gauruntee if I rear-end you in a rig, does not matter what you are driving, it will not feel good. People get mad when truckers pass truckers too. There are times I have SAVED people from a ticket using this. Think about that the next time your pissed cause trucker's are running paralell, they might just be trying to help.
Old 04-20-10, 10:32 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To JewCano:

Left Lane is for passing. If you think going 65 to help your gas mileage then by all mean do that speed but not in the left lane. You are creating road rage. If you do all these in the right lane there would be no road rage. Road rage is cause by both party.

How would you feel if I were to go 50 in the left lane because if help my gas mileage?
Old 04-20-10, 10:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm keeping my middle finger out of the business of sign language and keeping it well manicured too. It's safer that way.
Old 04-20-10, 11:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
Why you gots ta hate on honda's Mikey?

!
Just my observations and I can post plenty of pics. (clearly not all, but it seems to be the majority)

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Unfortunately, Mike, the whole world doesn't operate according to the high standards we set here (and enforce) in CL posting rules.....nor that of the average church service. Unkindness and arrogance, from some people, is simply a fact of life.
I think you hit the nail on the head there!
Originally Posted by dunnojack
several thoughts come to mind......

1. maybe you look like the kind of person people want to flip off
lol, it was just 3 times on this day, not everyday

Originally Posted by trukn1
Mike,, I def feel ya on the #1 salute, and I get them all the time; but for different reasons(obviously). I.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Most frustrating thing in driving, for me, it slow left-lane drivers... if you can obey 55 or 65 speed limits, you can also obey "slower traffic keep right"... horn and lights for me, then a "return" gesture if I get one first...

In a Mad Max future-apocolytic world, hood-mounted guns turrets will curtail this behavior

Old 04-20-10, 12:25 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Both very true points. Again I don't do this everytime, most of the time I cruise in the right or middle lane. It just makes me wonder why everyones in such a damn rush. Heck even my dad drives faster than me, and when I ask, why is he in such a hurry, he says he's just following traffic.
Just because we're going faster than you doesn't mean we're in a hurry to get anywhere. Perhaps we're just comfortable with cruising as a faster speed, just as you're comfortable with cruising at the speed limit. I usually speed 5-10mph over the speed limit, but I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere. Sure, it's nice that I arrive at my destination several minutes earlier, but certainly am I in no hurry or rush to get anywhere.

What you're doing is dangerous and disrupting the flow of traffic. You ever notice how traffic jams sometimes start and you drive by the entire thing and don't see accidents or anything resembling the sort?
Old 04-20-10, 12:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lack of lane discipline can lead to some drivers seeing (more frequently) middle fingers waved at them, not good.
Old 04-20-10, 12:32 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
Man, I know exactly how you feel. There is NOTHING worse than being in a Rig, with a 53' trailer, and having some JACKASS fly around you cause you are going to slow (by him) and then nearly clip your bumper coming into the lane in front of you. If he does it and he is gone, thats the end of it for me, but so HELP ME GOD, if ANYONE brake-checks me in a car, when I am in a rig, they deserve whatever they get. If you think I can stop 40 tons of cargo as fast as you can brake-check, you are going to get hurt. Plain and simple, it is not physically possible.

Worst part is, there are ALOT of people like this. They dont like me in the left lane passing a line of cars, so when I complete my pass, they get in front of me and brake-check. Are you retarded? Do you want to die? I can definately gauruntee if I rear-end you in a rig, does not matter what you are driving, it will not feel good. People get mad when truckers pass truckers too. There are times I have SAVED people from a ticket using this. Think about that the next time your pissed cause trucker's are running paralell, they might just be trying to help.
You know, I used to be very annoyed at truckers that would try to pass other trucks in the middle of traffic - especially if they were barely moving any faster than the other truck. But as you say, many of those times I was saved by the truck from getting hit by police radar/laser.

Then there are other times when you obviously see there are no cops around and the truck decides to move over along an uphill stretch of the highway...
Old 04-20-10, 12:51 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For all you who chastise me, can I ask that if you are perfect drivers yourselves? From what I have read some of you go faster than the speed limit on occassion, and not just for passing, ie breaking the law. Let he without sin cast the first stone .

We all do stupid things on the road, whether intentional or not intentional. No-one here I would assume has a perfect driving record, well maybe mmarshall, but otherwise all of us do things on the road which if we saw others we would chastise. Yes I recognize the error in my decisions, but they are mine to make and mine to accept.

Last edited by Jewcano; 04-20-10 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 12:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I've grown up in some odd car environments. When I was growing up, we lived in Caracas, Venezuela, and that was really a loony bin. Then we moved to Miami and that was worse. I lived in DC and that was fine until you got to the traffic circles and then things got bad.

Then I moved down to Mexico City expecting it to be bad, and it was surprisingly different. People seemed to drive the same and were very adept with the stick. At first I would get upset at everyone, but as time wore on, I was just like anyone else on the road.

However, coming back to Miami after an almost 15 year absence....I couldn't believe what nuts were on the road. Everyone was throwing the bird, honking, etc. It was 2x as bad as when I grew up here. I thought Miami couldn't get any bit worse than it did when I grew up here in the late 70s to early 90s, but indeed it was.

In fact, those who know me down here and see me drive wonder why I'm so defensive when I drive around here...and I've got quite a good reason with all that goes on here.
Old 04-20-10, 01:00 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

For all you who chastise me, can I ask that if you are perfect drivers yourselves? From what I have read some of you go faster than the speed limit on occassion, and not just for passing, ie breaking the law. Let he without sin cast the first stone .

We all do stupid things on the road, whether intentional or not intentional. No-one here I would assume has a perfect driving record, well maybe mmarshall, but otherwise all of us do things on the road which if we saw others we would chastise. Yes I recognize the error in my decisions, but they are mine to make and mine to accept.
amen.

"to each his own," really. can't knock that.
Old 04-20-10, 01:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What I often like to do myself (and I'm gonna catch tons of hate for this) is to plant myself in the left lane, going just a little bit slower than everyone else. This way I can just set cruise control and not worry about slower drivers.
Old 04-20-10, 01:14 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
What I often like to do myself (and I'm gonna catch tons of hate for this) is to plant myself in the left lane, going just a little bit slower than everyone else. This way I can just set cruise control and not worry about slower drivers.
That's because you ARE the slower driver! I don't understand why people going slower then people behind them can't just move over.

Prius drivers are the worst, followed by Corollas (based on my observations). I consciously try to not end up directly behind these cars on my way to work... haha They are so bad that even my g/f notices and comments about them. I think flashing your lights at the driver is probably what earned you the middle finger.

Not everyone is in a hurry just because they are driving faster than you. Break checking someone in the fast lane, obviously going faster than you is not, I repeat NOT OK. I've see crap like that cause accidents (though you can make the argument that speed caused the accident I guess, depending on how you want to spin it).

I have given the middle finger on occasion but most of the time don't waste the effort. If the driver is so oblivious to not know they are being retarded than chances are they will not notice your finger anyway.
Old 04-20-10, 01:25 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Then there are other times when you obviously see there are no cops around and the truck decides to move over along an uphill stretch of the highway...
Well believe it or not,, even us truckers have to pass one another as well sometimes. Yeah, the "drag race" uphill is a bit painful to have to be in but what we are trying to do is MAXIMIZE our forward motion before gravity starts to kick in. Not every truck is loaded down with 45000 lbs of cargo, and sometimes even we have to pass slower trucks, the same as you guys pass slower cars. In other cases, the side by side runs are a warning of riad closure ahead, slowing traffic, cops, and believe it or not, even those cops to which you WON'T see (because they are hiding in the bushes,,amongst trees, etc) until they hit you. We as truckers are prety much TRAINED to observe everything around us and for the most part, we are "cop hunters" as well. We pretty much know for miles in advance where they are hiding and share that info with one another via the CB. Not every trucker is an annoying yay-yo. In more ways than you think, we are also highway guardian angels.

You guys who are chastising JEWCANO,enough is enough. Yes, he has admitted that he has done some STUPID things on the road, and yes he admits that he is wrong for it. Hopefully, he can draw some valuable information from these replies and re-evaluate his own driving habits. If he does, great; if not he will STILL be just another annoyance on the road that we will have to deal with. I don't endorse what he does, however I will not let it get under my skin as some of you seem to have let it. I know that the world can change, starting with one person at a time, but he may not be the candidate.

Last edited by trukn1; 04-20-10 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: The true medal of honor, the middle finger from another vehicle...