Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The car based middle finger
I use the middle finger as my weapon of choice in the car
9.68%
I don't use the middle finger
25.81%
I use the middle finger sometimes, rarely
33.87%
In the past I was all about giving you the finger
9.68%
I would give 1sicklex the finger 24/7
20.97%
Goats don't have middle fingers
16.13%
Crap, I only have 4 fingers
3.23%
I give people "the shocker"
12.90%
The finger? I give them the arm!
9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKBLOG: The true medal of honor, the middle finger from another vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 01:30 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
For all you who chastise me, can I ask that if you are perfect drivers yourselves?
I don't believe there is such thing as a perfect driver, but I also don't think thats a good counter-position to take, anyway. That said, the criticism stems from openly putting yourself in a situation which creates road rage.

I posted, because in having to indirectly deal with tailgater's and those who try to punish them, I've witnessed some rather silly accidents occur (which then cause traffic for everyone else). I'm all about the idea behind to each their own, but when we're forced to share the road, its not always possible.

Just isn't worth it.
Old 04-20-10, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
What I often like to do myself (and I'm gonna catch tons of hate for this) is to plant myself in the left lane, going just a little bit slower than everyone else. This way I can just set cruise control and not worry about slower drivers.
I have to assume you are are not kidding.

Regardless (skipping all the hate language), sadly this is typical for American drivers.
Old 04-20-10, 01:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trukn1
Well believe it or not,, even us truckers have to pass one another as well sometimes. Yeah, the "drag race" uphill is a bit painful to have to be in but what we are trying to do is MAXIMIZE our forward motion before gravity starts to kick in. Not every truck is loaded down with 45000 lbs of cargo, and sometimes even we have to pass slower trucks, the same as you guys pass slower cars. In other cases, the side by side runs are a warning of riad closure ahead, slowing traffic, cops, and believe it or not, even those cops to which you WON'T see (because they are hiding in the bushes,,amongst trees, etc) until they hit you. We as truckers are prety much TRAINED to observe everything around us and for the most part, we are "cop hunters" as well. We pretty much know for miles in advance where they are hiding and share that info with one another via the CB. Not every trucker is an annoying yay-yo. In more ways than you think, we are also highway guardian angels.

Good points, and I do happen to understand the different circumstances related to big rigs.
Old 04-20-10, 01:52 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
You know, I used to be very annoyed at truckers that would try to pass other trucks in the middle of traffic - especially if they were barely moving any faster than the other truck. But as you say, many of those times I was saved by the truck from getting hit by police radar/laser.

Then there are other times when you obviously see there are no cops around and the truck decides to move over along an uphill stretch of the highway...
Yes, when I was long haulin', I was always couteous and waited until it was clear and not going to interfere with anyone. Or at least I tried.

I agree, there are alot out there who think they are bigger and therefore they own the road, and that is where the problem lies.
Old 04-20-10, 01:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDetailer

Worst part is, there are ALOT of people like this. They dont like me in the left lane passing a line of cars, so when I complete my pass, they get in front of me and brake-check. Are you retarded? .

i have never experienced this. fortunately.

that sounds so stupid........ to ride slowly, and then speed up to seek revenge on someone who passed them.

brake checking like that is fuggin retarded.

the only time i brake check is when someone rides on my *** for a while.
I do it for his own good. If he loses control when i simply tap my brakes, then imagine what would happen if i really need to stop. That's an incompetent tailgater who shouldn't be on the road
Old 04-20-10, 02:08 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The comments about big rigs are spot on. Most are not idiots and know when to pass, change lanes, or even pull to the side to let people pass. I rarely have issues with these guys, you can't blame someone for going slow in the right hand lanes anyway...
Old 04-20-10, 04:27 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys who are chastising JEWCANO,enough is enough. Yes, he has admitted that he has done some STUPID things on the road, and yes he admits that he is wrong for it. Hopefully, he can draw some valuable information from these replies and re-evaluate his own driving habits. If he does, great; if not he will STILL be just another annoyance on the road that we will have to deal with. I don't endorse what he does, however I will not let it get under my skin as some of you seem to have let it. I know that the world can change, starting with one person at a time, but he may not be the candidate.
Appreciate it Tony, (correct me if I'm thinking of the wrong name again). Though I do do what I said I do, I'm writing up a list of what CL members to look out for on the road. This way I can execute my driving technique on them and have some fun . But in all seriousness, hence serious face, road rage is an issue. I guess living in Florida we have tons of folks, whom I observe not being able to drive on the road, ie plenty of folks sitting in the left lane who shouldn't, people who are completely oblivious to those around them, but what I haven't noticed as often are road ragers. I guess living in a state with so many drivers making dumbass moves, myself included at times, you learn to cope with them, and it doesn't bug you as often. . I suggest you all take a drive through the worst parts of the USA when it comes to driving, and you'll get a new appreciation of how people drive in your own area.
Old 04-20-10, 04:50 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest you all take a drive through the worst parts of the USA when it comes to driving, and you'll get a new appreciation of how people drive in your own area.
LOL,,yes Tony is correct( for the record). As for this portion of your comment I, myself, have been in about 34 states within the last 2 weeks, so pick one; needless to say I really get a collective view and opinion of how people drive in many areas. For the record, Florida IMO is just filled with people who just don't have a clue/care/concern for anything/anyone around them. I actually hate driving down there not because of road rage incidents, but because of the inconsiderateness of people in this area. Examples,, I have seen 45 mph in the fast lane of some major highways, I have seen people change lanes without looking/signaling, 3 lane jumps to exit a highway, etc. Not to single FL out, but they are just too carefree/relaxed IMO for me to be around. I have seen some of the most terrible examples of road rage in ATL (aka I-285 and any of the surrounding areas. Especially around rush hour.) Mike can ya testify? But believe it or not, speaking solely from the eyes of a trucker, the worst offenders of road rage and being fast to offer the number 1 salute is in the North East(start at I-495 going around DC and work your way North). People in this region are not only NOT scared of merging aggressively, but WILL force you to play your hand all the way down to the last 1/8" of space just so they can make way. As Jewcano says,, take a road trip and TRULY clear your minda and observe how people drive in other areas other than your own and you will be astounded at the results. Better yet, spend a week or two on the road with me, and you will see not only your own driving, but also the driving habits of others from a WHOLE NEW perspective.
Old 04-20-10, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

But believe it or not, speaking solely from the eyes of a trucker, the worst offenders of road rage and being fast to offer the number 1 salute is in the North East(start at I-495 going around DC and work your way North). People in this region are not only NOT scared of merging aggressively, but WILL force you to play your hand all the way down to the last 1/8" of space just so they can make way.
That's at least partly because of the typical lifestyle in the urban, Northeast corridor....rush, rush, rush. People are always in a hurry. In addition, there's often a "Me-First" mentality. Yes, you do have some courteous drivers (including myself) who don't bull their way into places and/or cut you off, but the general pace of life in this area is generally not conducive to patience on the road. In that way, it is (somewhat) similiar to conditions in the SoCal/L.A. region.
Old 04-20-10, 09:21 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I "honk" with my throttle. It get's people's attention. My car sounds exactly the same as this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-1uFuUjEKM
Old 04-21-10, 06:28 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

^^Dude,, I think you took the whole point of what I was saying entirely wrong. Check your PM.
Old 04-21-10, 06:52 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

In a nutshell, since your pm box is not working,,

1. I did not condone his actions,, I have already addressed my opinion with this with him privately.

2. The opinions I brought up about driving in other states were of my own from my years on the road as a trucker as from what I have seen with my own eyes. Highways were named in order to stronghold my credentials since very few know what I do for a living despite the screen name. I never said that since there are worse states that everyone should just shut up and be satisfied; think you read a lil too much into my comment.

3. I have no problems with being questioned, b/c I am not a perfect individual. I too do make mistakes.

Marshall,, I also agree with your point as well about the "me first" mentality. Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 04-21-10, 11:33 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by meowCat
Yup, exactly.. and speeding is one thing.. but people that cause road rage is more serious. This leads to the following:

- Somebody get shot....
- Someone may pull you over and beat you up.... i.e. punching you in the face or what not.
- You **** a lot of people off.
- Wear out everybody's brake and rotors. More gas wasted. More stress on the engine, etc.
- ULTIMATELY, COPS can pull you over for blocking the traffic.

Which is better? a speeding ticket or the list above?

Oh and I rarely have any issues with truck drivers.. especially the 18 wheelers. THEY KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. I respect them.... truck drivers are hot man...... I also like following trucks because they hardly wear out my brakes.... it's very pleasant to drive. I would rather follow behind a truck then some cars. Many people here LOVE to slam on the brakes. They just don't have enough IQ's or sense.

Just for your information, I NEVER camp in the fast lane. I am a speeder. I almost NEVER drive at the speed limit. It's always 5~ 15+ mph over. Sometimes 25 mph over. Sometimes 50+ over. Once I pass slower cars I move over to the right lane. And I DO NOT stay in the farthest left lane when there are NO cars around me. I ALWAYS get in the habit of staying in the middle lane. You need to respect other drivers and don't block them or cut in front of them.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i have never experienced this. fortunately.

that sounds so stupid........ to ride slowly, and then speed up to seek revenge on someone who passed them.

brake checking like that is fuggin retarded.

the only time i brake check is when someone rides on my *** for a while.
I do it for his own good. If he loses control when i simply tap my brakes, then imagine what would happen if i really need to stop. That's an incompetent tailgater who shouldn't be on the road
Brake checking is ESPECIALLY retarded when you do it to a 45 ton rig. Just sayin. If It has more wheels than you do cylinder's, think about it!

I wonder if OCDetailer slowed down a bit too much in the right lane after passing slower cars, causing them to brake. So they got pissed and decided to pass him back.... though brake-checking is over the top, not needed. OCDetailer, what's the full story? did you do something naughty before they overtook you?

The full story is I was in a 53' Peterbuilt rig. If I recall correctly, I was passing a slower rig. As I was passing (can take quite awhile, I can only accelerate so fast in a rig), driver came up behind me, tailgating. I could not see them in my mirrors, and you all know what that means. I knew they were there though, because I saw them drive up. I also saw them swerve lane-lane as if they could not decide which truck was going faster. I was not blocking the road intentionally, and I decided to complete my pass rather than slow back down and **** off everyone behind me more. So, I completed my pass, switched lanes. In the next instant, whoever was in that damn car, came whipping past me, cut me off ALMOST to the point where I had to hit MY brakes...then they slowed down to the point where I was barely able to see the brakelights over the fenders/hood of the rig. Then they SLAMMED on their brakes. Had I already not been slowing down more because they were slowing down in front of me, I would have decimated them. I already had my brakes nearly locked. I pushed the pedal down a bit more to put distance between myself and them, and flipped the "Jake-Brake". They floored it and sped off.

People like that make it very dangerous for others. If I had locked up the brakes on the rig, or the trailer (trailers usually lock up first because of the lack of ABS), Someone would have died that day. Be it the person in that car, the people in one of the cars next to me, someone behind me, or myself...Someone would have died. When 45ton+rigs crash, its generally not a pretty event. Rarely does it turn out well.

That said, I have not been on the road in a rig for a long time, and I do not have nearly the experience that most other truckers have, so maybe someone with more experience can tell me how I could have handled that differently? I thought I did ok with stuff like that. The most important thing to remember when driving a Rig is that YOU ARE BIGGER than everything else on the road. If you lose your temper, even for a minute, someone can (and probably will) get hurt. So that is something I always remember when driving ANYTHING, especially big trucks.

Yes, I drive my car differently than a large rig...but I also keep in mind the HUNDREDS of times that I have had someone do something stupid to me on the road, and how it made me feel. In doing so, I try very hard not to do stupid things to people, especially truckers...even when they themselves do dumb stuff.

LOL,,yes Tony is correct( for the record). As for this portion of your comment I, myself, have been in about 34 states within the last 2 weeks, so pick one; needless to say I really get a collective view and opinion of how people drive in many areas. For the record, Florida IMO is just filled with people who just don't have a clue/care/concern for anything/anyone around them. I actually hate driving down there not because of road rage incidents, but because of the inconsiderateness of people in this area. Examples,, I have seen 45 mph in the fast lane of some major highways, I have seen people change lanes without looking/signaling, 3 lane jumps to exit a highway, etc. Not to single FL out, but they are just too carefree/relaxed IMO for me to be around. I have seen some of the most terrible examples of road rage in ATL (aka I-285 and any of the surrounding areas. Especially around rush hour.) Mike can ya testify? But believe it or not, speaking solely from the eyes of a trucker, the worst offenders of road rage and being fast to offer the number 1 salute is in the North East(start at I-495 going around DC and work your way North). People in this region are not only NOT scared of merging aggressively, but WILL force you to play your hand all the way down to the last 1/8" of space just so they can make way. As Jewcano says,, take a road trip and TRULY clear your minda and observe how people drive in other areas other than your own and you will be astounded at the results. Better yet, spend a week or two on the road with me, and you will see not only your own driving, but also the driving habits of others from a WHOLE NEW perspective.
Honestly truckn', I have never driven a rig in florida, but I have driven it through Salt Lake City, on the freeway. Let me just say, Worst drivers I have EVER encountered. I am not talking about lack of skill, I am simply talking about lack of consideration for other drivers. I LOVE driving, and I am never scared when I drive....But I was honestly scared in SLC. I thought I was going to kill someone, simply by driving normally, cause everyone else was driving erradically. Crossing 3 lanes of traffic @ one time, etc etc...you get the idea.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-21-10 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 12:13 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

That idiot who cut you off and slam on the brake deserves to get crushed by you. You should have just lightly applied the brakes and crush his ***. This is so that you can tell the Police that you tried to stop but this idiot slammed on the brakes so hard right in front of me so I was unable to stop. I feel your pain. At least you tried, you tried to speed up to pass the slower rig. From what I can see you haven't done any wrong. Many drivers out there (including the speeders) don't use their brain, like trukn1 said, inconsiderate. Agreed, slamming on brakes in front of a 45~50 ton trucks you are asking for death.

The problems with hitting another car with a rig while in motion are:

-You dont know who is in that car...maybe babies in the back seat?
-Hitting things at these speeds with that heavy of a load can cause the knuckle on the hitch to snap. In that case, it causes a whole lot more problems than just hitting the brakes a little harder will.
-If it came down to hitting a car from behind, or trying to dodge them by swerving onto the shoulder or into the other lane, I would take the latter. It is easier for me to keep control of the rig when I cause the lane change, than it is to keep control when I impact something.
Old 04-22-10, 12:39 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

That idiot who cut you off and slam on the brake deserves to get crushed by you. You should have just lightly applied the brakes and crush his ***. This is so that you can tell the Police that you tried to stop but this idiot slammed on the brakes so hard right in front of me so I was unable to stop
Spits soda across the sleeper laughing at this one, LOL!! Ahh, my young friend,, you should spend some time in a truck. The driving is TOTALLY different. In the world of DOT land, a land of which we are his game and he is the constant hunter b/c he knows that at any time he can always score big rewards for catching us, there is no such thing as lightly applying the brakes. With him it is cut throat easy, you either did or you didn't; point blank. Now in "our world, a light application does exist, however with a truck weighing up to 40 tons, even a light tap would end up in disaster. Truck brakes are not hydraulically operated; they are air operated. This means that for every push of the pedal, there is a small delay in reaction. Almost minute, by comparison to others, but there is a very small delay. In OC's situation, he would have been cited for 2 or more reasons in the eyes of the DOT. First would be (OC you know where I am about to go with this one, welcome back to my world) FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE. Imagine that, some yay-yo cuts him off and HE is following too close. Second would be impact from the rear. Yeah there were other factors to consider which led up to the impact, but bottom line is he still tagged the guy from behind. Lastly, that I can think of, would be for failure tocontrol his vehicle. In the trucking world, there are sooooo many bogus violations that we can be held accountable for, even if things are not our fault, and the fines are HUGE!!! In most cases the tickets would be written despite whatever the initial findings are, unless it is something so incredibly obvious that even Ray Charles could see, and they would go to the trucker. It is then up to us to go thru all of the trouble of having to go thru the courts, and present all kinds of evidence tohave the court throw the tickets out. In many cases, we use pre-paid legal services now to handle alot of this. Innocent until proven guilty,,not in our world. In our world, we are guilty of EVERYTHING,, so good luck trying to prove yourself innocent.

OC,,you did exactly what I would have done and have had to do on several occasions. Nice to meet another fellow "gear jammer" who understands my plight and can truly understand where I am going with things when the soap box gets pulled out. LOL!! Nowdays, you would not believe how much trucking has changed. While it is ALOT more comfortable, am sure, the technology in the equipment is almost insane. ABS is standard in everything now, both truck and trailer and some of the stuff on the market now will blow your mind. You should re-visit your previous calling once in awhile remeninse. LOL!!! Strictly as a spectator now of course,,, It ain't as much fun as it used to be and I have nly been at this going on almost 10 years now.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: The true medal of honor, the middle finger from another vehicle...