Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The car based middle finger
I use the middle finger as my weapon of choice in the car
9.68%
I don't use the middle finger
25.81%
I use the middle finger sometimes, rarely
33.87%
In the past I was all about giving you the finger
9.68%
I would give 1sicklex the finger 24/7
20.97%
Goats don't have middle fingers
16.13%
Crap, I only have 4 fingers
3.23%
I give people "the shocker"
12.90%
The finger? I give them the arm!
9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKBLOG: The true medal of honor, the middle finger from another vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 11:40 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal
I always get "walkers are supposed to walk against traffic!", to which the reply is "Yeah, when there aren't sidewalks". I cannot count the number of times I've been flipped off or called an A-hole for mentioning, pointing to, or otherwise referencing the sidewalk.

Also: does anyone know how I can look up local laws/codes/statutes/whatever they are, to see if I am indeed in the right? I would like to know!

Stay safe out there!
A quick Google search with regard to pedestrian behavior turned up the following link.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod...ar21/ch17.html

In it, you will find that you are 100% right in what you claim.

IC 9-21-17-12
Sidewalk available; prohibition on walking along or upon roadway
Sec. 12. If a sidewalk is provided and the sidewalk's use is practicable, a pedestrian may not walk along and upon an adjacent roadway.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

You probably could check the Indiana DMV site for more info. My opinion, though, is that right or wrong, you continue to try to avoid hitting them at all cost...I'm sure its a bigger mess than its worth.
Old 04-26-10, 01:38 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I was just using you as an example of a driver that practices in such manner.

I never said it's for CONSTANT speeding. Though if someone wants to, let him/her. It's none of your business... Someone speeds let the cops take care of it. At least they don't go around pissing other drivers off. You can speed and still maintain good driving etiquette. Blocking traffic and *brake checking* other drivers isn't. You are pissing a lot of people on the road. It creates road rage. Even the law doesn't want you to camp in the left lane. Even my Dad who is over 60, speeds when appropriate or necessary by going considerably over the speed limit. He has no accidents and no tickets for the last 25 or 30 years or so. Maybe more, I don't remember. It's really down to "common sense". Following speed limits doesn't automatically make you a good driver. The truly good driver knows how to do defensive driving. "Speeding" can be used for defensive driving. It's *how* you use speeding. You on the other hand follow the speed limit but doing everything else bad. Not good.

How do you know it will be me? What if it's someone having a baby? or is on some other medical emergency? What if it's some dope dealer going on a high pursuit? What if it's an undercover cop in duty? What if it's FBI or CIA?.. or KGB? You have no idea what the "reason" is and who they are. *Get in the practice* of not blocking traffic. Taking forever to pass some slower moving vehicles on the right lane while you are on "cruise control" is just as bad as lane camping, and on top of that you brake check?????

What you should have done is not brake check. You should have accelerated a little harder and move over. Try to be considerate and have respect for other drivers.

And for the record I don't constantly drive at very high speeds. I get to high speeds when I *accelerate*. I decelerate it right after. The longer you stay in high speed the higher chance you get a ticket. Plus my Mazdaspeed 3 doesn't have good fuel economy at high speeds (due to extremely close gears, even the top 6th gear is very tight) so I don't want to keep cruising at high speeds. If I had an IS350 my cruising speed would be increased by at least 10 mph, it depends on the traffic condition too. But why do you care I maintain at x speed or not? you don't get a ticket, I do. Are you going to pay for my tickets? I don't mind that.

It's not digressing. It's progressing. This is a good discussion and well supports 1SickLex's thread.

Come down to Florida sometime, and if you pass by Jax, I'll let you ride with me. To fully understand what I mean when I say I do what I do. You would come to see that I'm rarely in the left lane, usually right or middle. Break it up into %'s, 90% right middle, 10% left.
Old 04-26-10, 01:55 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand this is your opinion and you do what you prefer. And I know that you don't drive like these slow left lane campers. I need to remind you guys that in this case where passing slower cars in the right lane by going merely 3 mph faster and going 5~ 10 mph over the posted speed limit doesn't make him a good driver because he is *blocking* the traffic. If there are faster moving traffic behind him approaching at considerably higher speeds he should have accelerated it a little harder to move out the way. If there are no cars behind you or no cars approaching you from behind then this would not be much of a problem. Though it is still NOT a good practice to ride side by side with cars on the slow lane. Try to go a little faster and pass them to clear out the way. This is nearly as bad as Left lane camping.

And what made this really bad is that he got an attitude by brake-checking which made the situation exponentially worse, creating road rage. So for me, I do mind his driving behavior. Taking some extensive driving course / classes can give you some good info.

What if he/she moves over when they don't see you coming because of the blind spot? We have no idea what's on the individual's mind. He/she may not expect someone passing them from the outside lane. The chance of getting an accident increases. The proper way of driving is really for you to take the left lane (passing lane) to overtake a slower vehicle. Going around slower moving vehicle by using the right lane is not a good practice.

Oh wow, I did not see that part.

I have absolutely 0 respect for individuals who brake check. It's just about one of the most idiotic, disrespectful, dangerous things one could possibly do on the road, ever, period.

Fortunately I've never been brake checked because I make it a point to stay anywhere from 2 seconds to 4 seconds behind the car in front of me, so even if they did brake check me for some odd reason, it wouldn't be an issue.

My style of driving would be as follows - I'll probably cruise in the left lane at 85-90 MPH. If I saw a slow car in the fast lane going at 70 MPH, I'll gradually slow down to 70 MPH until I maintain a distance of 2 to 4 seconds behind the car.

Am I annoyed by the fact that the guy in front of me is going unbearably slow? Definitely, no question there, I'm just as irritated as you are. But I'd never tailgate the driver to try and "prove a point." (By the way, not saying you do this obviously haha, just throwing it out there as a general comment)

Tailgating is almost as bad as brake checking someone who tailgates, and equally as bad as brake checking a non-tailgater (which likely will never happen, I suppose, because most brake checkers brake check to teach tailgaters a lesson)

In the past (and currently), once the right lane cleared up, I would likely go WOT via the right lane to pass the guy hogging up the passing lane.

But, you did bring up a good point - what if the traffic blocker in the passing lane going 70 MPH doesn't bother to check his blind spot when getting back into the right lane? In such a scenario, it'd be dangerous for me to pass at WOT.

Very good point, and I'll probably tweak my driving habits slightly to deal with these people in a safer way - I'm thinking it would be better to pass via the right lane not at WOT but rather at 75-80 MPH (5 - 10 MPH over what the passing lane obstructor is going).

A 5 MPH differential is probably sufficiently low enough to avoid a serious accident if the left lane obstructor decides to get back into the right lane without checking his blind spot - which is entirely possible because the right lane is technically not meant for passing, it's meant for slower "10 MPH above the speed limit" traffic.

At the end of the day, I completely agree with you meowCat. Would it be best if slower traffic adhered to traffic laws and kept right? Absolutely. It'd probably help to reduce the risk of traffic accidents a significant amount.
Old 04-26-10, 02:13 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
5 MPH over the limit, in most cases, will not get you a ticket....most state Troopers, even with radar/laser, don't stop people unless it is 10-15 MPH over or so.

However, that is NOT the case doing 20 MPH over. In many states, 20-25 MPH over the speed limit, regardless of traffic conditions, is considered reckless driving. And there is no inherent "right" to drive those speeds.....legal codes, in all 50 states, view driving as a priviledge, not a right.

The "experience", though, of many people, is that they try and beat the system and end up with points or a fine. It's best, in most cases, to simply not try and beat it in the first place.

Except for the period from 1974-1987, where there was a 55-MPH, Federal speed limit (it, of course, was poorly-enforced). Highway engineers are usually the ones that determine what safe limits are, not individual drivers. it's true that state legislators directly determine it in driving codes, but they usually get a lot of input from engineers and the state DOT.

(P.S........that doesn't mean that I always agree with the posted limits myself)
It definitely varies from state to state, and road to road.

There is one freeway in Austin - Capital of Texas Highway (Loop 360) where the speed limit for years has been a stable 60 MPH throughout.

Cops have always allowed people to travel up to 70 MPH on this road (10 MPH over).

Recently, a small portion of 360 was reduced from 60 MPH to 55 MPH, but cops now let people go 15 MPH over the limit in this area (70 MPH).

On I-35 - the major interstate that essentially connects Austin and Dallas, cops regularly allow 20 MPH over the limit (85 in a 65).

If there are a large number of cars going at 90 in a 65, all maintaining safe distance amongst each other, cops will also let that fly.

If, however, you are in isolation going 90, you will be nailed with a ticket. But, it's a pretty standard, low key "citation" despite the fact that you're going 25 over the limit.

If, however, you go 25 over the limit on capital of texas highway, the consequences/fines are much worse.

I don't know how much this jives with the actual law. What I do know is that there is a high correlation (and I'll readily admit, this is purely anecdotal) between severity of traffic fines and intuitive "feeling" of "I'm going too fast for this road, it's time to slow down."

What do I mean?

If you're on a large, wide, stable interstate like I-35 and going at 85-90 with traffic, one (or maybe it's just me?) always feels in complete control due to the width of the lanes and stability of the underlying foundation coupled with the fact that I-35 is virtually straight the entire way.

85-90 on a road like loop 360 would not jive. There are sharper turns, there are cars trying to enter the freeway from cross streets from 0 MPH. All of these issues and more make it clear why going 85-90 on loop 360 is phenomenally irresponsible, despite the fact that the "legal" speed limit on loop 360 is a measly 5 MPH lower than the legal speed limit on I-35.

The issue here is, the speed limits on some major interstate highways appear to be too low.

The "Cops give you 10 MPH over" is not universal. It depends on the type of road.

In some areas, cops do not even give you 5 MPH over, and understandably so.

This is not an issue of civilians taking the law into their own hands, per se. It's more of an issue of recognizing that 90%+ cops take the law into their own hands (by allowing 5 MPH, 10 MPH, 15 MPH, sometimes 20 MPH over the speed limit depending on the road and condition), and exploiting that knowledge.
Old 04-26-10, 02:23 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

I'll tell you guys what though - there are some things that appear to be far more important as far as "safety" goes than driving slowly.

One issue that tends to irk me sometimes is "riding the side" of another car.

I always make sure that I am not driving at 70 MPH+ side by side with another car in the right (or left) lane. I make sure that I adopt a "staggered" set up.

In my opinion, there should be a law that somehow condones this "staggered" set up if it is possible, but fortunately it's another one of those "facts of life" that appear to be understood by many individuals, despite not being in the law and despite rarely being talked about in most drivers ed courses.

Now, obviously, a staggered set up isn't always an option, especially if the traffic is very high. But, usually high traffic precludes the "necessity" for a staggered set up if the average speed of traffic has slowed far below even the legal speed limit.

Last edited by syzygy; 04-26-10 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 02:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This last story had my cousin and I perplexed. We are on the way to a meet and a beautiful black Maserati Quattroporte is passing us as we turn right. I comment how beautiful the car is and he agrees saying he loves Masers. We drive behind them, not in a rush or anything just cruising. There are two kids in the back, maybe 4/5 years old tops and they start waving at us. My cousin and I are a little puzzled and wave back "awwww cute kids".

WRONG WRONG WRONG

They then proceed to drop their window, stick their heads out and wave some more. Now we both thought this was odd, they looked like 2 little doggies trying to get some wind. We wave back, grinning "awwww, those kids are so nice".....

Then they take turns sticking their hands out the window giving us the gotdamn finger. We both were like "oh hell naw, wtf".

Well after various fingers from various people today I had enough.....so I pull up next to the Maser and the kids look scared crapless as it was a one lane road. They pull off to the next road and my cousin and I have a conversation about spoiled *** bad *** kids.

Eventful day!

Do you have a middle finger story?
I would have called 911 to report those little unbelted bastards.

It seems to me that those giving the finger are usually the ones that are 100% in the wrong. I had a guy jumping the red light on Saturday, as I had a left turn green arrow, and he almost hit me head on. When I blasted the horn at him, he gave me a "WTF" look--kinda like he wanted to give me the finger but couldn't get it raised in time--even though he's running a red light.
Old 04-27-10, 09:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

nahhh, there's way too many dumb and crazy drivers out there.
I don't drive in the fast lane (cop magnet also) too often, but I do hate the slow pokes yapping away doing 50 mph

they still don't get the hint when 20 people pass them on the right and cut over in front of them
Old 04-27-10, 11:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two hands on the wheel instead of flipping people off is certainly safer.
Old 04-27-10, 12:21 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
Man, I know exactly how you feel. There is NOTHING worse than being in a Rig, with a 53' trailer, and having some JACKASS fly around you cause you are going to slow (by him) and then nearly clip your bumper coming into the lane in front of you. If he does it and he is gone, thats the end of it for me, but so HELP ME GOD, if ANYONE brake-checks me in a car, when I am in a rig, they deserve whatever they get. If you think I can stop 40 tons of cargo as fast as you can brake-check, you are going to get hurt. Plain and simple, it is not physically possible.

Worst part is, there are ALOT of people like this. They dont like me in the left lane passing a line of cars, so when I complete my pass, they get in front of me and brake-check. Are you retarded? Do you want to die? I can definately gauruntee if I rear-end you in a rig, does not matter what you are driving, it will not feel good. People get mad when truckers pass truckers too. There are times I have SAVED people from a ticket using this. Think about that the next time your pissed cause trucker's are running paralell, they might just be trying to help.
I saw signs somewhere that said it was illegal to cut right in front of a rig when passing it. It said to leave space or something. I rarely get mad at a driver of an 18 wheeler. I drive my box truck sometimes at work its slow as crap. And yes I've been saved from a ticket plenty of times from being blocked by a rig.

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
another thing that annoys me...even (especially) when I was driving a rig:

WHY in the name of all hell, would you enter a freeway where EVERYONE is doing 80-90...at 45mph or less?

FAIL. That is a really good way to get killed or kill someone else. When I am driving a rig i notice this especially, because I am always fearful that someone is going to smack my *** end. I always liked to enter a freeway @ or 5 over the speedlimit by the time I merge over. This is not always possible due to some ramps/cloverleaf's being short/tight, but I would prefer to enter faster than traffic and slow down, than have to enter slower and make everyone else slow down or hit me.

THANKFULLY, I have never been rear-ended...but with some of the loads I have hauled, I am not sure I would ever know if someone rear-ended my loaded rig...even if they were going 80+. Truckn...any experience in that dept? I was fortunate...in my 2 years on america's hwys in a rig, I never had an accident or ticket. I consider myself VERY lucky.

In a car, the entering the freeway thing is still dangerous, because of traffic and whatnot, but its a little easier to manuever to get the hell outta the way! LOL.
Tell me about it. Then the idiots merging expects you to make room. No blinkers or anything. See it all the time.

Originally Posted by tex2670
I would have called 911 to report those little unbelted bastards.

It seems to me that those giving the finger are usually the ones that are 100% in the wrong. I had a guy jumping the red light on Saturday, as I had a left turn green arrow, and he almost hit me head on. When I blasted the horn at him, he gave me a "WTF" look--kinda like he wanted to give me the finger but couldn't get it raised in time--even though he's running a red light.
People seem to get angry when they are in the wrong and I honk my horn.

I used to have major road rage when I was younger but now only if it endangers me or my family.

Another thing that annoys the heck out of me is when theres a long exit only lane that is free flowing but there's traffic on the lanes that are going straight and cars will stay in that lane the last minute step on the brakes to try to merge in. Had a guy do that to me then when I honked he gave me the finger
Old 04-27-10, 12:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sphy1005
I saw signs somewhere that said it was illegal to cut right in front of a rig when passing it. It said to leave space or something. I rarely get mad at a driver of an 18 wheeler. I drive my box truck sometimes at work its slow as crap. And yes I've been saved from a ticket plenty of times from being blocked by a rig.

Mindlessly cutting in too close in front of a big rig causes a lot of truck accidents if/when the truck driver has to try and take evasive action. In general, on dry pavement, if the cab starts to slide, and gets more than 15 degrees off the centerline of the cab-trailer assembly, it's all over....the driver may not be able to recover, and you have a classic jack-knife. Add a little slickness to the road surface, and it becomes even more critical.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-10 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! now that I agree with. That was hilarious...
It's especially dangerous flipping people off while driving, especially when hold a cell phone in the other hand.