Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept (will be produced)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 09:41 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

If this was a Lexus EVERYONE here would be fapping over it, calling it revolutionary and stuff. This is a gorgeous car, with a powerful, confident front end, dynamic sides and a cohesive, logical rear end, and in normal CLS sedan form it will be even more so. Can't wait.
Old 04-20-10, 09:52 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wait, this has a 3.5L V6 turbo, yet only achieves 306 HP and 273 lb-ft torque? This is a failure IMHO. Much of the competition achieves as much or more power from naturally aspirated V6 engines.

If this an upcoming Benz engine, it will already be a step behind the competition by the time it comes out.

As for the styling, the front is decent, the side profile is decent, and I like the rims. The rear however is hideous .

Overall the exterior lacks cohesiveness and does not look classy at all.

If this is the new styling direction for Benz, it's very disappointing.

Benz was starting to impress with some of their designs in the past few years, and now they go backwards again in design.

The C-Class, E-Class, GLK all look very German and have unique styling that gives each vehicle tons of presence and a strong, classy look.

This just looks like a Hyundai .

I hope the production exterior looks better than that.

The interior is pretty nice, interested to see what the production interior will look like.

since when looking like hyundai is a bad thing? Sonata schooled every competition in a 'styling' department in all comparison tests.
Old 04-20-10, 09:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Most dealers/repair shop charge hourly for labor. MB/Lex/BMW hourly labor rate is usually between 120-150 per hour, so if it takes an hour to remove all the plastic to do any repair, the owner will pick up the cost.

Also, many of us like to work on our own cars, and all that plastic just make it much more difficult to get to anything.
last I remember for an oil change or any maintenance work, it's a set price when I make an appt (probably factored in) .

Don't get me wrong, I love working on my cars too, but fortunately, the hood is not opened on a monthly basis
Old 04-20-10, 10:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

If this was a Lexus EVERYONE here would be fapping over it, calling it revolutionary and stuff. This is a gorgeous car, with a powerful, confident front end, dynamic sides and a cohesive, logical rear end, and in normal CLS sedan form it will be even more so. Can't wait.
Not really. CL mostly fapped over the current CLS. This is simply not good in design to me.

Originally Posted by joe80
since when looking like hyundai is a bad thing? Sonata schooled every competition in a 'styling' department in all comparison tests.
That is opinion.

Originally Posted by DustinV
So 306-horsepower are "underwhelming" these days? I don't see how the horsepower output of an engine means "it is behind the competition". Horsepower output of any particular engine has to be optimized for performance, fuel economy and emissions. We know nothing about how this thing performs, but it's safe to say that it is a fast car, relatively fuel efficient and also has a low emissions rating.

How much more power does one need anyway? Even with this much power any normal car will be plenty fast. Also, keep in mind that this might be just one power setting of the new motor. The same engine might be offered in say three different power variants beginning with perhaps under 300-hp, 306-hp and maybe 350-hp. This is speculation on my part, though.

Turbocharging increases the overall efficiency of a motor. With the current market situation fuel economy is becoming far more important than raw performance. I'll say it again: 306-horsepower are more than sufficient for any car.
I think his point is it is a 3.5 liter TURBO and it "only" makes 306hp. Lexus makes 3.6hp with no F/I, BMW makes 320 with a 3.0 liter. I also would expect a 3.5 liter turbo to make more power than the 3.0 from BMW.

Maybe it doesn't have DI?

Originally Posted by Och

I think Honda might have fired the idiot(s) who designed the Crossturd, and they went to work for MB.

Well the point is that other manufacturers achiever more output without turbo, and significantly more with turbos. However, I think this 306/273 rating is just incorrect, or maybe it's the molested European version of the engine. I'm sure the output for US version of the engine will be much greater.

Thats just not true. Turbocharging increases performance, but hurts efficiency and emissions, and also drives up the costs of maintenance, reduces reliability, and makes repairs that much more complex and expensive.
And you really ruined this Shooting Brake for me with the Crossturd pic b/c sadly they both look just odd.

Old 04-20-10, 11:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I do like the roofline of this concept car (unlike the Crossturd which is a total mess style-wise).
Old 04-20-10, 02:14 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

That is opinion.

sure. Opinion of almost all Sonata reviewers. M/T, edmunds, autoblog, C/D, R/T, and various internet websites.

Last edited by joe80; 04-20-10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 02:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
sure. Opinion of almost all Sonata reviewers. M/T, edmunds, autoblog, C/D, R/T, and various internet websites.
Are you really and I mean REALLY going to stink up ANOTHER thread that is not even related to Hyundai by getting all pissy about a comment with Hyundai mentioned?

This is about the Shooting break, not about a thread to find any thing to bicker about Hyundai.

Your response is off topic, not worth refuting and you are lucky I don't delete it.

Old 04-20-10, 02:54 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i like it but i really dont see this being next CLS. im sure Mercedes is not that F---ing stupid to mate R-class with CLS.....FAILED
my favorite benz is destoyed
Old 04-20-10, 02:55 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Well the point is that other manufacturers achiever more output without turbo, and significantly more with turbos. However, I think this 306/273 rating is just incorrect, or maybe it's the molested European version of the engine. I'm sure the output for US version of the engine will be much greater.
The fact this turbocharged V6 "only" produces 306-horsepower tells us what?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The engineers who worked on this engine aren't incompetent. Squeezing out more than 306-horsepower isn't a problem. I suspect the engine was optimized for a particular criteria (refinement, fuel economy etc.) and massive horsepower wasn't one of those criteria. Those 306-horsepower were simply deemed adequate by the engineering staff at Mercedes, I suspect. Besides, 306-horsepower is a lot.

Originally Posted by Och
Thats just not true. Turbocharging increases performance, but hurts efficiency and emissions, and also drives up the costs of maintenance, reduces reliability, and makes repairs that much more complex and expensive.
Turbocharging improves the efficiency of an engine, especially in the way it is being used today. It improves the performance (horsepower) and thus reduces fuel consumption and emissions.

There's an article in this months Auto Motor und Sport about this. I can scan it if you wish. The article makes it clear that many European manufacturers are looking to smaller displacement engines with turbocharging as a means of generating peppy performance and a lower fuel consumption.
Old 04-20-10, 02:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
The fact this turbocharged V6 "only" produces 306-horsepower tells us what?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The engineers who worked on this engine aren't incompetent. Squeezing out more than 306-horsepower isn't a problem. I suspect the engine was optimized for a particular criteria (refinement, fuel economy etc.) and massive horsepower wasn't one of those criteria. Those 306-horsepower were simply deemed adequate by the engineering staff at Mercedes, I suspect. Besides, 306-horsepower is a lot.

Turbocharging improves the efficiency of an engine, especially in the way it is being used today. It improves the performance (horsepower) and thus reduces fuel consumption and emissions.

There's an article in this months Auto Motor und Sport about this. I can scan it if you wish. The article makes it clear that many European manufacturers are looking to smaller displacement engines with turbocharging as a means of generating peppy performance and a lower fuel consumption.
306hp is not "a lot" anymore, its been done for years now with a 3.5 engine.

Again BMW made 300hp with a 3.0 turbo
Lexus made 306hp with a 3.5 without a turbo

Benz makes 306hp with a 3.5 AND a turbo? I think we all would have expected more.

That said we all know their AMG engines are no joke.

Old 04-20-10, 03:02 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I think his point is it is a 3.5 liter TURBO and it "only" makes 306hp. Lexus makes 3.6hp with no F/I, BMW makes 320 with a 3.0 liter. I also would expect a 3.5 liter turbo to make more power than the 3.0 from BMW.
I understand what he means.

And if I am honest, such a comparison is an extremely poor way of judging an engine. No offense. There are factors other than technical that have limited the output of this motor to 306-horsepower (a management decision perhaps?).

Mercedes doesn't have to prove anything in that regard since they're capable of building high performance engines with small engine capacities and high horsepower output (DTM, F1, Truck Racing etc.).

And - I suspect there might be a more powerful version of this engine in the future. Mercedes might use this same engine with different settings across the range. Perhaps we'll be seeing something like a 280-hp/306-hp and maybe even a 350-hp+ version. We don't know.
Old 04-20-10, 03:13 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Benz makes 306hp with a 3.5 AND a turbo? I think we all would have expected more.
I have to ask. Why expect more horsepower? I grew up around big and powerful engines but todays cars with smaller and less powerful engines offer better performance and better fuel economy. To me, there's no need for more horsepower. Efficiency is the new chapter the automotive industry has to enter and focus on.

This "performance/racing mentality" shouldn't apply to the standard cars Mercedes' builds, which are cruisers. They're comfortable and quick. They're not drag racers or raw performance machines. I don't know of anyone who takes an E350 unto the drag strip or race track. It's a car bought for safety, comfort, quality and prestige - not raw performance. That said, the performance of the standard E350 is seriously nothing to complain about. It's a quick car in its own right.

By the way, the engineers at MB could easily have squeezed out more power out of this new engine. They just didn't.
Old 04-20-10, 03:14 PM
LexFather

I am not knocking the engine, I know they are capable of great things and surely not going to say its bad as its new. Just was expecting "more" that is all

Old 04-20-10, 03:20 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I am not knocking the engine, I know they are capable of great things and surely not going to say its bad as its new. Just was expecting "more" that is all
By no means was I accusing you of knocking the engine. I know you just wanted more power. Your wish might come true in the future.

Some German sources are talking about an "E400", which could be a more powerful version of the turbocharged 306-hp 3.5-l V6 seen here. Or maybe it's a new smaller V8 (unlikely).
Old 04-20-10, 04:06 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Isn't the Chief designer for Hyundai now working for Mercedes? That's why this has so many Hyundai styling cues.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept (will be produced)