Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept (will be produced)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 01:41 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Dustin, don't get me wrong. I agree with a lot of what you are saying, most E350 buyers will never use even 50% of the motors potential. But you are forgetting that we are in the midst of a horse power war, that ironically was sparked by the GS400, and ever since the two big Germans have been trying to outdo each other first with the big V8 versions of their cars, and AMG //M models, and now the battle came down the the pedestrian models as well. The current E350 is clearly behind the pack, and like I said, it doesn't matter if typical E350 buyer doesn't care about horse power, I fully expect Mercedes to up its competition by a good margin.
I understand you completely, too.

The way I see it, though, this new motor with 306-horsepower may be more competitive in many other way rather than the sheer number of horses galloping under its hood. It's a new engine. It might "only" have 306-horsepower, but I'm sure its revolutionary on many other levels.

Don't dismiss an engine on how it appears on paper. The real world performance is what will ultimately matter and I suspect that this engine, even with "only" 306-horsepower, may be full of surprises in terms of performance and gas mileage.

Originally Posted by Och
Look, even V6 Camry, Avalon, Altima have pretty much the same power as the current E350. And Hyundai just brought this horse power war down the the 4 cylinder models of pedestrian cars, with the new Sonata making 200hp from its naturally aspirated four cylinder motor. I expect Nissan to one-up them in the most near future, and the war will be on
There have always been mainstream cars around that made more or had the same horsepower ratings as luxury cars.

It's not an excuse.

Nobody (well, at least most non-performance-oriented folks) will get a more powerful mainstream vehicle like a Camry or an Altima over a weaker luxury car based on horsepower output. These are two completely different classes of automobile.
Old 05-01-10, 01:47 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Once again, I expect MB's 3.5L turbo V6 to outperform their competitors.
Two things.

One: this engine might outperform its competitors. As I understand it, the use of forced induction here was for torque and efficiency reasons. More torque at earlier RPMs is beneficial to fuel economy: the engine propels the car quicker to a given speed while using less fuel. The turbo also increases the overall efficiency of motor (according to an article in Auto Motor und Sport).

Two: I really don't understand how someone can wish for more power in an E350. Here's why. The E350 is a cruiser, not a sport sedan. Once it has more power, then what? It will be quicker from 0-60, but will it handle better in the corner? Will it be more involving or dynamic to drive? I don't think so. Right now, the 268-horsepower output of the current E350 is already more than sufficient. The new 306-horsepower output of this new motor are again, more than sufficient, and competitive. Even with future power increases from the competition, I suspect this engine won't be outclassed right away.
Old 05-05-10, 09:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

See, I told you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...d-3-5l-v6.html

The 3.5 V6 engine is naturally aspirated and makes 306hp... about time.

If MB makes a turbo 3.5 V6 it will be making 350hp or more.
Old 05-05-10, 10:15 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
See, I told you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...d-3-5l-v6.html

The 3.5 V6 engine is naturally aspirated and makes 306hp... about time.

If MB makes a turbo 3.5 V6 it will be making 350hp or more.

Ah, my bad. I seem to recall reading a press release about this motor which said it had a turbo.

Still, 306-horsepower are more than satisfactory. Besides, even with 268-horsepower the current E350 is a stellar seller. When you look at the comments of most owners, they claim the power and performance are great. Keep in mind that the buyers of such cars aren't 20 year-old kids on a car forum...
Old 11-08-10, 10:04 AM
LexFather

Will be produced

The CLS Shooting Brake will go into serial production: As of 2012, the sporty four-door Coupé with sloping tail end based on the CLS will roll-off the assembly line in the Mercedes-Benz Plant Sindelfingen.

Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board Daimler AG and H ead of Mercedes-Benz Cars: "In 2004, Mercedes-Benz established a new vehicle segment with the four-door Coupé CLS and created a design icon. 170,000 customers around the globe show how enthusiastic this car has been received by the market. The decision to build the CLS Shooting Brake underscores the leading role of Mercedes-Benz in regards of innovative passenger car concepts and design – and that is exactly what the customers expect from us."

Sindelfingen, as largest production location of Mercedes-Benz globally, will add another model to its manufacturing portfolio. Currently, the plant is building the C-Class Sedan, the E-Class Sedan and Estate, the S-Class and the coupés CLS and CL as well as the Maybach models and Mercedes-Benz Guard vehicles. Recently, the plant started to produce the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG and a small series of the B-Class powered by a fuel cell. As of 2014, the Mercedes-Benz SL will also be manufactured in Sindelfingen. The decision for the CLS Shooting Brake also reflects the flexibility of the plant: The new model will be build on the same production line as the CLS and the E-Class Sedan.

Dr. Wolfgang Bernhard, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG for Production and Procurement Mercedes-Benz Cars & Mercedes-Benz Vans: "This new model with its high emotional appeal is another highlight for the Sindelfingen plant. The location decision is an evidence for the significance of the plant as competence centre for the luxury class. The CLS Shooting Brake will contribute to a sustainable capacity utilization in this core location of our production network."

The fresh and exciting interpretation of the emotionally-appealing Coupé-based design had its premiere as a show car at Auto China in April 2010. Now, this insight by Mercedes designers into the possible future development of the Coupé concept will become reality. In 2012, the CLS Shooting Brake will be launched to the market.

Dr. Joachim Schmidt, Executive Vice President Sales and Marketing, Mercedes-Benz Cars: "The CLS still makes waves with its fascinating design and wows customers for our brand. With the new generation of the CLS we expand our pioneering role in this segment. We aim to extend this success story with the CLS Shooting Brake and complement our product portfolio with another appealing model. This car is based on the great tradition of a stylish, cultivated sportiness which has always characterised the great Mercedes Coupés, and it takes this unique legacy an exciting step further. At the same time it points the way towards the future design idiom of Mercedes-Benz."

The proportions are clearly those of a coupé: the long bonnet, narrow-look windows with frameless side windows, and dynamic roof sloping back towards the rear. It is only when taking a second look that it becomes clear that the Shooting Brake actually has four doors and a large rear lid. The model features some astonishing proportions which at the same time are clearly reminiscent of another design icon - the CLS.

It's all in a name: the origins of the name "Shooting Brake"
Break, or the homonym Brake, was the name once given to carriages used to "break" in wild horses and also to restrict (or "brake") their urge to move, so that they could be put to use as work horses. Since the carts could easily be broken as part of this process, people tended not to use ones which they may have urgently needed for other purposes. Where necessary, "Brakes" were often fitted out with variable bodies, which were only really used to carry along anything that may have been necessary for the hunt, for example. Any such vehicle which was used when going out shooting was called a Shooting Brake or Shooting Break. In the 1960s and 1970s motorised Shooting Breaks were popular in Great Britain – exclusive cross-over vehicles, which combined the luxuriousness of a coupé with extended space on offer and additional variability.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/08/m...hooting-brake/