Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cayenne Turbo, Range Rover SC, or BMW M5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 09:41 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I would hate to buy a M5 for my wife. I'd get my wife a high end Camry if I have a choice. I don't want guys checking her out in a ride like M5.
I hear you...but IMO whether our wife drives a Prius or a highend car, people (men of course) will look no matter what.

We live in the Peninsula area where it is very common to see women driving highend cars. Just the other day, I was in Emerald Hills and saw a middle age woman driving a droptop F430. And there's an old couple (retired) that lives a block from us. Grandpa drives a balloon white Murcielago, while grandma drives a RR Phantom.
Old 04-22-10, 09:49 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JVT
I hear you...but IMO whether our wife drives a Prius or a highend car, people (men of course) will look no matter what.

We live in the Peninsula area where it is very common to see women driving highend cars. Just the other day, I was in Emerald Hills and saw a middle age woman driving a droptop F430. And there's an old couple (retired) that lives a block from us. Grandpa drives a balloon white Murcielago, while grandma drives a RR Phantom.
I think you are absolutely right. It totally depends on where you live and I usually forget about that. I live in SF where everyone drives a beat up Volvo wagon or a Prius. So, you can imagine what happen when a good looking woman roll up with a M5 or a droptop F430.
Old 04-22-10, 10:02 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
I think you are absolutely right. It totally depends on where you live and I usually forget about that. I live in SF where everyone drives a beat up Volvo wagon or a Prius. So, you can imagine what happen when a good looking woman roll up with a M5 or a droptop F430.
I totally understand what you're saying now. Funny as it may sound, when I take my family to SF to eat, I borrow my folks Honda Accord. I don't feel comfortable driving a fancy car in SF, yet alone, let me wife drive through some of the bad areas, like Tenderloin District.
Old 04-22-10, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

when you talk about cayenne, are you talking about used or the new style? but yeah, a lot of women like cayenne, and the turbo version looks quite a bit better. gts is nice too, s is quite normal though, seems like you can give your wife a bit more "speed"

x5m price is really insane, i saw one and i couldn't believe the sticker. then i look at the tires and could only imagine the price to replace them
Old 04-22-10, 11:01 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
when you talk about cayenne, are you talking about used or the new style? but yeah, a lot of women like cayenne, and the turbo version looks quite a bit better. gts is nice too, s is quite normal though, seems like you can give your wife a bit more "speed"

x5m price is really insane, i saw one and i couldn't believe the sticker. then i look at the tires and could only imagine the price to replace them
I was looking into a used Cayenne Turbo (2008-2010), until one of the members said you can get a new S for $60k range. So now I'm thinking of getting a new S. But after I started doing more search, I stubbled into the GTS last night - I didn't even know they made a GTS model. My wife is not into cars as you read, but she loves to drive fast.

The X5M is wayyyyyyyy over priced IMO. The MSRP was $97k. And the tires are definitely money! And pictures don't do justice. The X5M is sick looking in person. Also the tires look tiny from pics, but when you stand next to the X5M, the tires are super aggressive/wide - I believe they were 335 on the rears!
Old 04-22-10, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JVT
I was looking into a used Cayenne Turbo (2008-2010), until one of the members said you can get a new S for $60k range. So now I'm thinking of getting a new S. But after I started doing more search, I stubbled into the GTS last night - I didn't even know they made a GTS model. My wife is not into cars as you read, but she loves to drive fast.

The X5M is wayyyyyyyy over priced IMO. The MSRP was $97k. And the tires are definitely money! And pictures don't do justice. The X5M is sick looking in person. Also the tires look tiny from pics, but when you stand next to the X5M, the tires are super aggressive/wide - I believe they were 335 on the rears!
in that case i say look at gts, i think it's better "bang for the bucks" if there is such a thing on the cayenne it looks great, and gives your wife a bit more juice to go fast, hehe...

the x5m does look pretty good in person (the x6m however is hideous as ever). yup, the rear tires are so wide and big, i can't even imagine the price (and they wear out fast too)

cayenne gts, she's going to love it
Old 04-22-10, 11:14 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JVT
Heres the GTS (on eBay) I'm interested in looking at. Asking $65k+
The GTS is designed for handling & I believe has the lowest ride height of the Cayenne line with upgrades over the standard V-8 that comes in the S model.
This would be my choice & my wife loves them too.
Old 04-22-10, 11:23 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Great! I've come down to the final two. I take a look at the preowned GTS as well as new S. And do comparison from there.

Thanks again for your feedbacks!
Old 04-22-10, 11:30 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JVT
Great! I've come down to the final two. I take a look at the preowned GTS as well as new S. And do comparison from there.

I'm vicariously right there with you! Being in So.CA O.C. I am still holding out for the 2wd Club Sport version!
Old 04-22-10, 11:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

since you guys have done so much hw, what's the ongoing prices for the gts and s (new vs used)? i am always afraid of getting these cars used, how's the reliability of these cars? would hate to end up spending so much on maintenance!!!!!
Old 04-22-10, 12:25 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

since you guys have done so much hw, what's the ongoing prices for the gts and s (new vs used)? i am always afraid of getting these cars used, how's the reliability of these cars? would hate to end up spending so much on maintenance!!!!!
Thanks for posting. I'm new to the Porsche SUV world as well and I like to read some feedbacks with reliability and maintenance on Cayenne models as well.

EDIT: As far as pricing...I did look at some Turbos. 2006-2007 models run between 50-60k. 2008-2009 Turbos run between 60-75k. As for the GTS, 2008-2010 model selling between 60k - 80k. And IMO, the GTS looks more sporty/aggressive than the turbo.

Last edited by JVT; 04-22-10 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 01:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

08 for 60, that's not too bad at all!!!!

yup, any porsche reliability info would be great!
Old 04-22-10, 01:10 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JVT

Originally Posted by JVT
Thanks for posting. I'm new to the Porsche SUV world as well and I like to read some feedbacks with reliability and maintenance on Cayenne models as well.

EDIT: As far as pricing...I did look at some Turbos. 2006-2007 models run between 50-60k. 2008-2009 Turbos run between 60-75k. As for the GTS, 2008-2010 model selling between 60k - 80k. And IMO, the GTS looks more sporty/aggressive than the turbo.
You also gotta remember that your not just choosing between S vs GTS, but new redesigned model versus old model. The new design is sleeker and sexier (even in S trim) and the new interior is just gorgeous. Also u get the benefit of a warranty.

The new model will be hitting dealer lots within the next 2 weeks I've heard. Now is the time to go to your Porsche dealer and reserve a car in the first alotment for your wife.
Old 04-22-10, 01:22 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

08 for 60, that's not too bad at all!!!!

yup, any porsche reliability info would be great!
It does sound like a bargain Romini, but keep in mind bro thats a 2 yr. old SUV going on 3 years in couple of mos. Plus the mileage is not low (at that price).

Originally Posted by (Cj)
You also gotta remember that your not just choosing between S vs GTS, but new redesigned model versus old model. The new design is sleeker and sexier (even in S trim) and the new interior is just gorgeous. Also u get the benefit of a warranty.

The new model will be hitting dealer lots within the next 2 weeks I've heard. Now is the time to go to your Porsche dealer and reserve a car in the first alotment for your wife.
Thanks man! I'm going to swing by the dealership tomorrow and take a look.
By any chance, do you know if the price on new S or GTS?
Old 04-22-10, 01:49 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JVT
Thanks man! I'm going to swing by the dealership tomorrow and take a look.
By any chance, do you know if the price on new S or GTS?
It probably won't be there just yet. According to Porsche USA it'll be out sometime May 2010. I know that's vague especially with Mother's Day quickly approaching (Sunday May 9, 2010).

Ask your local dealer when their shipment of 2011s comes in and if the date works see if you can get a car built to your wife's specifications, on the first allotment of cars.

Anyway if that doesn't work out, I hope you enjoy the GTS! That's one sweet SUV. It sounds like you guys want something sporty, but are you sure you don't want to check out the LX570?

Anyway as far as price I would think that it would be within the same range as the 2010s. A well equipped S is in the $60-70K range. The new model is more powerful and more efficient and just badass.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo, Range Rover SC, or BMW M5?