Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A week in paradise with an American icon : 2010 Camaro SS review

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 09:33 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really nice review, pix, and choice of color.
Old 04-24-10, 11:06 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice review with real pics, and some real and reasonably long term exposure to the car from an enthusiast. It's always better to thoroughly test drive a car without some lame and useless so-called salesperson next to you too.

I really like the Camaro in the darker metallics like this one.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-24-10 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It's always better to thoroughly test drive a car without some lame and useless so-called salesperson next to you too.

Nice review with real pics,
I often (but not always) manage to get solo test-drives, especially from shops that know and/or trust me. I agree that it is nice when you can. But, sometimes, it pays to have someone experienced sitting next to you, especially with complex systems like I-Drive and MMI. I've always had a tough time dealing with those (and similiar) systems. The way I feel now, I probably wouldn't have one in any car I owned.

Fortunately, the Camaro SS (the thread topic) is free of that kind of stuff. A nice, retro, simple, What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get dash, though some of the big ***** on the center-stack, as described in other Camaro threads, do appear cartoonish.

Generally, Google has some pretty good shots (I use a lot of them in my reviews), but, yes, one of these days I'm going to get around to getting a digital camera and (start) practicing the skills to download/upload the shots. I'm not sure that my Sony Vaio laptop has the capability for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-24-10, 04:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I often (but not always) manage to get solo test-drives, especially from shops that know and/or trust me. I agree that it is nice when you can. But, sometimes, it pays to have someone experienced sitting next to you, especially with complex systems like I-Drive and MMI. I've always had a tough time dealing with those (and similiar) systems. The way I feel now, I probably wouldn't have one in any car I owned.

Fortunately, the Camaro SS (the thread topic) is free of that kind of stuff. A nice, retro, simple, What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get dash, though some of the big ***** on the center-stack, as described in other Camaro threads, do appear cartoonish.

Generally, Google has some pretty good shots (I use a lot of them in my reviews), but, yes, one of these days I'm going to get around to getting a digital camera and (start) practicing the skills to download/upload the shots. I'm not sure that my Sony Vaio laptop has the capability for it.
Note: the dorq salesperson doesn't have to ride with you to show you how to use the electronics. In fact the salesperson shouldn't be distracting the driver while the car is moving anyway. The demonstration of electronics is best done before the actual test drive begins in the parking lot, it's much safer that way too. Then he/she should leave the car and wait for the test-driver while doing something productive.

But in general, that's the beauty of CL, we have many experienced/enthusiast posters that actually drive cars extensively (as in this example of this thread) and/or actually own the vehicles of interest. CL members often are multiple car owners and frequent buyers of the latest cars (not just Lexus vehicles, and demographics are impressive) so they chime in with feedback that is very valuable.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-24-10 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-24-10, 04:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Note: the dorq salesperson doesn't have to ride with you to show you how to use the electronics. In fact the salesperson shouldn't be distracting the driver while the car is moving anyway. The demonstration of electronics is best done before the actual test drive begins in the parking lot, it's much safer that way too. Then he/she should leave the car and wait for the test-driver while doing something productive.

But in general, that's the beauty of CL, we have many experienced/enthusiast posters that actually drive cars extensively (as in this example of this thread) and/or actually own the vehicles of interest. CL members often are multiple car owners and frequent buyers of the latest cars (not just Lexus vehicles, and demographics are impressive) so they chime in with feedback that is very valuable.

Thanks buddy. I would agree with you there 100%. Club Lexus is a great asset to many enthusiasts and car guys. Members here are very knowledgeable and have direct experience with many of the different vehicles we discuss. Its much nicer than simply discussing a review from a magazine writer who spent only 4 hours with a car or simply did some hot laps at a track. I am happy that I could contribute to the Club Lexus community.......and I had a great time doing it
Old 04-25-10, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
[/B]

. Its much nicer than simply discussing a review from a magazine writer who spent only 4 hours with a car or simply did some hot laps at a track.
I agree that that is part of the problem. A number of auto-enthusiast magazines, in the past, seem to have been more focused on maximum-performance and track numbers than they are on everyday driving characteristics. Fortunately, that is changing somewhat as those guys mature and see that there is more to driving than just numbers around a track. But some publications, like Road and Track especially, are still heavily biased towards exotic/sports cars and high-speed tracks. R&T, for example, seems to spend more time on that than on everyday cars you and I would buy. It's gotten to where even some of their own readers are complaining, now, sending in letters.
Old 04-26-10, 04:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that that is part of the problem. A number of auto-enthusiast magazines, in the past, seem to have been more focused on maximum-performance and track numbers than they are on everyday driving characteristics. Fortunately, that is changing somewhat as those guys mature and see that there is more to driving than just numbers around a track. But some publications, like Road and Track especially, are still heavily biased towards exotic/sports cars and high-speed tracks. R&T, for example, seems to spend more time on that than on everyday cars you and I would buy. It's gotten to where even some of their own readers are complaining, now, sending in letters.
In my opinion an even mixture of the two wouldnt be bad.

I have been driving my GS350 after a week of the Camaro SS and it feels anemic at best. I guess it will take a few days for the muscle car pull, power, and torque to fade from immediate memory
Old 04-26-10, 04:22 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no substitute for torque, once you have it and lose it, you know it. It is incredibly addicting.
Old 04-26-10, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
There is no substitute for torque, once you have it and lose it, you know it. It is incredibly addicting.
I grew up, 40 years ago, as a teen-ager, with the classic Detroit muscle-cars (and owned a Plymouth Barracuda). Torque can be fun, when it is used RESPONSIBLY and safely, but I'm not sure I'd call it addicting. And torque figures did go down, in the 70's, with emission controls, unleaded gas, de-tuning, and smaller engines, but the loss of power, IMO, was made up for with other improvements that did not exist before....things like permanently-lubed chassis, electronic ignition, standard disc brakes, better-quality paint, safety improvements, and, of course, something that, to me, WAS addicting...the ultimate development, in Audi/AMC/Subaru vehicles, of car-based AWD.
Old 04-26-10, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have been driving my GS350 after a week of the Camaro SS and it feels anemic at best. I guess it will take a few days for the muscle car pull, power, and torque to fade from immediate memory
In the long run, I think you will appreciate your GS a lot more. It is a far better car, mechanically, than the Camaro. And a number of new Camaros have already been in the shop with serious (and premature) clutch/transmission problems....no doubt the result of overexuberance with the drivetrain.
Old 04-26-10, 08:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

In the long run, I think you will appreciate your GS a lot more. It is a far better car, mechanically, than the Camaro. And a number of new Camaros have already been in the shop with serious (and premature) clutch/transmission problems....no doubt the result of overexuberance with the drivetrain.
Even with only 1200 miles on it I noticed that the idle was not smooth and there was a delay for the car to drop into reverse. I know my GS is a much nicer car but it was cool to be able to pull hard at only 1500 rpm. The torque is addictive , especially when delivered on the floor or the power band
Old 04-27-10, 04:25 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OR, you could ditch the GS350 and get a CTS-V. 4 doors and a corvette ZR1 motor, best of both worlds. IMHO!
Old 04-27-10, 04:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, and the instrumented track testing for comparison purposes of R&T and C&D is very helpful. Most enthusiasts review that data which is more objective and then draw their own conclusions on subjective matters via test drives.
Old 04-27-10, 05:47 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the car is a pleasure to drive sporty it is a bit harsh for day to day driving in a place with poor roads.
My mom drove this car today. She said that while she liked the car she one, lamented that she had to drive the automatic variant and two, found 400+ HP to be pointless and downright abnoxious in the bustling metropolitan area in which we live.

While I would never want to own a Camaro, I am jealous that she got to drive one. I would love to try it and being 23, most car dealers aren't excited about letting me test drive a car. Even when I come in my work clothes.
Old 04-27-10, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, and the instrumented track testing for comparison purposes of R&T and C&D is very helpful. Most enthusiasts review that data which is more objective and then draw their own conclusions on subjective matters via test drives.
I'm not saying that track testing doesn't have a place. But, First, in comparisons, one must separate apples and oranges. Air temperature/pressure/humidity plays a big role in engine power (in fact, as pilots, we sometime had to calculate take-off performance based on that, wind, aircraft weight, and on available runway length). The compositon/type of pavement surface can also play a role in handling, skidpad, and braking tests, because it can determine tire friction/adhesion. Second, the average car buyer (including many on CL) doesn't care much about extreme track testing at the limit.....they buy a car for everyday use. That's why, in my own reviews, I go over the car from stem to stern, in great detail, and try to describe exactly what one is getting for the money, instead of what kind of drag or racing machine it will be.

One could reply......."Well, if that's the case, then they shouldn't be reading enthusiast car magazines to start with.....leave the enthusiast magazines to the enthusiast". That's fine.....except that even very few enthusiasts have the kind of money it takes to get into (and insure) many of the mega-sports/exotic cars that these magazines often dwell on. Yet, the mags (especially R&T) tend to give a lot of print space to those cars, at the expense of everyday street cars.

Quick Reply: A week in paradise with an American icon : 2010 Camaro SS review