Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari 599XX sets new record on the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 11:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Ferrari 599XX sets new record on the Nurburgring

saw this video, thought it's cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJj8a...layer_embedded
Old 04-23-10, 11:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I guess I would like to know what other cars fall under the "production-derived sports car" designation.

That video is insane though!
Old 04-23-10, 11:12 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Interesting. I guess I would like to know what other cars fall under the "production-derived race car" designation.

That video is insane though!
that sounds more like it to me.....

FXX maybe? Aston N24?
Old 04-23-10, 11:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

yeah, i also wonder about that, just pushing the limit in terms of what's "allowed in the category"

but i am just more on the video and the speed
Old 04-23-10, 01:54 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

One thing just struck me though... Since when does Ferrari put out ring videos?!?!?!?

Hmmmmm...........
Old 04-23-10, 03:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That video was awesome!

However, it's pretty lame for Ferrari to claim that this broke the record on the 'Ring, or is the fastest "production-derived" sports car on the 'Ring.

The 599XX is basically an "extreme track car", this is in Ferrari's own words and according to a press release of theirs. It is illegal to drive on public roads.

For all intents and purposes, despite the fact it's "derived" from the 599, this is a pure race car.

For comparison, last year one of the LFA N24 cars did a best lap time (in the North Loop section of the 'Ring) in 7:13. This is keeping in mind the LFA N24 cars are much less extreme than the 599XX, and are actually close-to-production cars. This is also keeping in mind the lap time was set during the race, with lots of cars out on track creating traffic.

Also for comparison, this Lamborghini Gallardo race car did a best lap time on the 'Ring of 6:44. This car is no less "production-derived" than the 599XX.

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread...ghini?p=408263

Here is a video of the Gallardo race car in the 24 hours of Nurburgring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2aZeWq2Vts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
One thing just struck me though... Since when does Ferrari put out ring videos?!?!?!?

Hmmmmm...........
It seems that Ferrari is jumping on the 'Ring marketing bandwagon.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 04-23-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 03:58 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
However, it's pretty lame for Ferrari to claim that this broke the record on the 'Ring, or is the fastest "production-derived" sports car on the 'Ring.
Agreed, it stinks of creating arbitrary categories just to appeal to the spec drivers/fanboys out there. I'm sure the wiki kiddies are going to have a field day with this one, given how much they flame each other over cars that are actually road legal. I'm always receptive to Nür videos, though, so I'm glad they published it.

Ya, and as a long-time Ferrari fan I'd honestly like to think that such dillydallying is beneath them. Nissan made it their primary goal and focus with the GT-R to create a car that had a ridiculous Nür time and they succeeded; IMO, they should also realize that a significant part of the GT-R's tremendous success is that they're getting traditional supercar powerhouses to stoop down to play ball. At least Lexus (so far) has avoided this, what with Tanahashi Haruhiko saying that lap and other spec times are just not a concern as far as the metrics they developed the LFA on.
Old 04-23-10, 05:06 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

ok its a street car i would want to drive that thing 5 miles you a** would take a pounding
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Agreed, it stinks of creating arbitrary categories just to appeal to the spec drivers/fanboys out there. I'm sure the wiki kiddies are going to have a field day with this one, given how much they flame each other over cars that are actually road legal. I'm always receptive to Nür videos, though, so I'm glad they published it.
Exactly. Besides, several cars with far less power than the 599XX have come very close to it's lap time.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the LFA cars in this year's 24 Hours of Nurburgring race do a time under 7:10.

Originally Posted by gengar
Ya, and as a long-time Ferrari fan I'd honestly like to think that such dillydallying is beneath them. Nissan made it their primary goal and focus with the GT-R to create a car that had a ridiculous Nür time and they succeeded; IMO, they should also realize that a significant part of the GT-R's tremendous success is that they're getting traditional supercar powerhouses to stoop down to play ball. At least Lexus (so far) has avoided this, what with Tanahashi Haruhiko saying that lap and other spec times are just not a concern as far as the metrics they developed the LFA on.
It does seem beneath them. It seems like Ferrari is getting more desperate here in it's marketing, which is highly unusual for them. I wonder what their actual reasoning was for releasing this video and jumping onto the 'Ring marketing bandwagon?

It's especially puzzling as the 599XX is not road legal . It's also practically a race car, and uses some rather experimental technologies.

It would make more sense to publish the 'Ring time of the 599 GTO.

The irony is that we know the speed for the LFA is there. Several people involved with the car say it can do a lap time under 7:30. We have an LFA prototype that set an unofficial lap time of 7:24 back in 2007, and one of the close-to-production LFA cars last year at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring race setting a 7:13 in that section of the 'Ring.

Lexus just doesn't seem to be desperate in bragging about the 'Ring potential of the car . They can easily do so if they wanted to of course.
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly. Besides, several cars with far less power than the 599XX have come very close to it's lap time.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the LFA cars in this year's 24 Hours of Nurburgring race do a time under 7:10.

It does seem beneath them. It seems like Ferrari is getting more desperate here in it's marketing, which is highly unusual for them. I wonder what their actual reasoning was for releasing this video and jumping onto the 'Ring marketing bandwagon?

It's especially puzzling as the 599XX is not road legal . It's also practically a race car, and uses some rather experimental technologies.

It would make more sense to publish the 'Ring time of the 599 GTO.

The irony is that we know the speed for the LFA is there. Several people involved with the car say it can do a lap time under 7:30. We have an LFA prototype that set an unofficial lap time of 7:24 back in 2007, and one of the close-to-production LFA cars last year at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring race setting a 7:13 in that section of the 'Ring.

Lexus just doesn't seem to be desperate in bragging about the 'Ring potential of the car . They can easily do so if they wanted to of course.
ha posted before ya
Old 04-24-10, 04:31 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

badass vid, thx
Old 04-24-10, 04:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

That video was awesome!

The 599XX is basically an "extreme track car", this is in Ferrari's own words and according to a press release of theirs. It is illegal to drive on public roads.

For all intents and purposes, despite the fact it's "derived" from the 599, this is a pure race car.

For comparison, last year one of the LFA N24 cars did a best lap time (in the North Loop section of the 'Ring) in 7:13. This is keeping in mind the LFA N24 cars are much less extreme than the 599XX, and are actually close-to-production cars. This is also keeping in mind the lap time was set during the race, with lots of cars out on track creating traffic.

Also for comparison, this Lamborghini Gallardo race car did a best lap time on the 'Ring of 6:44. This car is no less "production-derived" than the 599XX.

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread...ghini?p=408263

Here is a video of the Gallardo race car in the 24 hours of Nurburgring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2aZeWq2Vts

I agree 100%.
Old 04-24-10, 06:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't buy into the marketing hype (from anyone), but that time is ridiculously good for a car based on a normal Ferarri.
Old 04-28-10, 10:39 PM
LexFather

Post Ferrari 599XX: Nurburgring record

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/25...ng_record.html

Ferrari 599XX: Nurburgring record
Ferrari's 599XX supercar breaks the seven minute barrier at the Ring's Nordschleife
By Tom Richards
23rd April 2010
Ferrari 599XX

The Ferrari 599XX has blasted around the Nurburgring’s Norschleife circuit in record time, clocking a lap of just 6min 58sec - the first time a production-derived sports car has broken the 7-minute barrier.

The 772bhp V12 Ferrari, which costs around £1.2million, was piloted into the record books by Raffaele de Simone, one of Ferrari’s factory test drivers.

The Radical SR8 is the only car to have managed anything faster, when it shot to the top of the board in just 6min 48sec back in 2009, though Ferrari rather defensively claims that, as a spaceframe racing car, the SR8 isn’t in the same category as the 599XX. The Radical's road legal, the Ferrari's not.

Ferrari has put the 599XX's speed down to its cutting edge traction control system and active aerodynamics at the front of the car, which can increase downforce or cut drag depending on the car’s footing. Travelling at 186mph, the 599XX produces up to 630kg of downforce, pressed into the road by roughly the same weight as Ferrari’s F1 2010 car.

The 599XX has inspired the rebirth of the Ferrari GTO name, with a new hardcore roadgoing 599 GTO revealed recently. Click here for gallery and information

Old 04-29-10, 12:10 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just to add some further perspective to this; the 599XX that set this record was running racing slicks, and if you look closely, has NO headlights and NO tails. This makes an even less of a production car.

Ferrari is really stretching here with it's "production-derived" terminology .

Quick Reply: Ferrari 599XX sets new record on the Nurburgring