Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Accent

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 08:30 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Hyundai Accent

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/23/b...cross-the-pac/

(Beijing, China) Hyundai Motor Co. staged the world-premiere of its all-new Verna at the 2010 Beijing Automotive Exhibition today. With its eye-catching sloping roofline, the new sub-compact, Hyundai's third China-exclusive model, projects a coupe-like dynamic image that is at once sporty, stately and futuristic.

Developed over a five-year period expressively for the Chinese market, product planners conducted exhaustive market research of Chinese consumer tastes and trends to ensure every detail meets local requirements. Built on an all-new platform at the company's highly automated plant in Beijing, Verna is targeted at China's strategically important C1 segment and fully reflects Hyundai's philosophy of quality.

"Today is a really special day for us, not only because we're launching a new car, but because it's one of the very few times we've done a world-premiere outside of Korea: And we chose to do it right here in China because it's our way of recognizing how important our Chinese customers are to us," Euisun Chung, Vice Chairman of Hyundai Motor said today at the Beijing auto show.

"In 2009 we posted a 94 percent Y-o-Y growth in China and have sold over 2 million cars since arriving in 2002. We are not losing any momentum, continuing to expand our lineup in China with our most stylish and advanced models like the all-new Verna and our compact SUV "ix35."

To minimize fuel consumption without sacrificing performance, Verna is powered by the new generation Gamma gasoline engine, featuring multiport fuel injection. Verna delivers best-in-class fuel economy, in keeping with Hyundai's pledge to be the industry's eco-leader. And it fully satisfies China's Step 3 fuel economy regulations - two years ahead of schedule.

Featuring all-aluminium construction for weight-saving, the 1.6L DOHC Gamma delivers 90.4Kw@6300rpm and 155Nm of peak torque @ 4200rpm through a smooth-shifting four-speed automatic transmission.

For cost-conscious car buyers, the base Verna is offered with the 1.4L DOHC edition of the Gamma which puts out 78.7Kw@6300rpm and 135.4Nm@5000rpm and comes with the choice of a five-speed manual gearbox or four-speed automatic. Fuel economy is rated 5.7?/100km with the manual; 6.2?/100km with the automatic (1.4L with Fuel Economy Package).

Such impressive performance was made possible by a variety of enhancements to the engine including Continuously Variable Valve Timing, a smart alternator and air conditioning compressor plus the adoption of motor-driven power steering.

Verna hugs the ground with a new low-floor platform and a sloping roofline both of which contribute to Verna's impressive aerodynamics and superior fuel economy.

Special ultra-high tensile strength steel has been applied to the car to enhance the overall stiffness of the body structure for superior crash protection: Verna achieves best-in-class safety, aiming to satisfy the CNCAP 5? rating. Thanks to the highly rigid body, the suspension is more securely anchored thus enhancing ride and handling characteristics and eliminating vibration and booming noise.

Verna's wheelbase-longest-in-class-and its low overall height, give it extra stability and a very stylish look but without incurring a penalty in cabin size. In fact, the overall cabin dimensions are bigger than any rivals. And the trunk, measuring a spacious 454L can easily accommodate as many as four golf bags plus three small tote bags. So not only does it look great, but it's very practical.

The Verna will be built at the company's highly automated Beijing plant from July and will go on sale in the second half of this year. Hyundai will launch it in the Chinese market first, then gradually introduce it to other regions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks good! design wise, I think it's a huge improvement. not sure how U.S spec will change, but rumors are that we will get 1.6GDI(140hp).

It now has a stylish exterior. It should be competitive. i'm loving the hyundai's new design theme.
Old 04-25-10, 08:41 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

So... it's pretty much a small Sonata?
Old 04-25-10, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80

Looks good! design wise, I think it's a huge improvement.
That's something that you and I disagreed on with the 2011 Sonata, and I think we're going to disagree on this car's looks, too, as it carries on much of the new Sonata's basic exterior styling theme, which I did not like at all.

To its credit, though, it seems to have more or less carried-over the basic pleasant interior of the last-model Accent, which I liked (assuming that the Chinese-market interior in the picture is what we will also get in the U.S.). I'll give it nice marks for this interior, though Hyundai still stubbornly carries on wih those awkward zig-zag shift lever slots.

(BTW, I helped several friends and co-workers shop for and buy the last-generation Accent, and they all have been very pleased with them. The Accent, IMO, is a good small car, with a price that a lot of people, who don't have a large budget, can afford). It's not a sporting car by any means, but excellent basic transportation, with a nice interior by the standards of its class).

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-10 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 08:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
So... it's pretty much a small Sonata?
That's what I first thought of too.

It's clean, sleek, and I do like the interior for an entry level car.
Old 04-25-10, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's what I first thought of too.

It's clean, sleek, and I do like the interior for an entry level car.
I'll agree on the interior. That was one of the things that sold the last-generation Accent.
Old 04-25-10, 09:44 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's something that you and I disagreed on with the 2011 Sonata, and I think we're going to disagree on this car's looks, too, as it carries on much of the new Sonata's basic exterior styling theme, which I did not like at all.

To its credit, though, it seems to have more or less carried-over the basic pleasant interior of the last-model Accent, which I liked (assuming that the Chinese-market interior in the picture is what we will also get in the U.S.). I'll give it nice marks for this interior, though Hyundai still stubbornly carries on wih those awkward zig-zag shift lever slots.

(BTW, I helped several friends and co-workers shop for and buy the last-generation Accent, and they all have been very pleased with them. The Accent, IMO, is a good small car, with a price that a lot of people, who don't have a large budget, can afford). It's not a sporting car by any means, but excellent basic transportation, with a nice interior by the standards of its class).
we can agree to disagree. like i said, you aren't the only person who doesn't like sonata's design.

but I think you should think about the significance of the design direction. you have to think about what hyundai has been going through for last 20 years. identity crisis? proabaly. lack of design talents? most certainly. but now, Hyundai finally created a huge amount of buzz, and for the first time people are talking about hyundai's design. It's the greatest thing ever happened to hyundai and its quest to become the next big thing. it's obvious that hyundai wanted to make a design statement.

here is the latest example of sonata review by WSJ. I really do believe style matters much more so than the amount of the rear headroom.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...EYWORDS=sonata

for last 20 years, hyundai's design was something people either joked about or just didn't care about. definitely hyundai was one of those 'appliances' that people didn't have any attachment or felt good about. i don't think anyone said 'i drive 2007 sonata and it looks better than camry and accord.' and I'm pretty certain hyundai do not want another 'basic transportation'. they don't believe in that anymore. if they made another good, but not memorable looking Accent, then it will get killed by Fiesta and even Aveo.

and one thing i want to point out is that these small cars hyundai will produce(accent, elantra, veloster and etc) aren't just for americans. Accent never sold well anywhere in the world because small cars needed to be fashionable in other parts of the world. i10/i20/i30 is selling very well in europe because finally hyundai is making cute/handsome cars.

i really believe accent and most of new small hyundais will have a global significance. malaysia, indonesia, china, india, and etc are huge market for small cars, much bigger than the U.S and they demand small cars to be stylish.

Last edited by joe80; 04-25-10 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 10:01 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

wow it looks really good....
Old 04-25-10, 10:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I like it. It looks better than a lot of cars in its class.
Old 04-25-10, 10:05 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

my general observations and some comments on Hyundai:

1. Previous hyundai buyers were value oriented 'smart' buyers who really didn't buy the car for the looks.

2. hyundai never offended anyone, but it was never memorable and never really made a serious fan base because from general public's perspective, Hyundai equals rental car.

3. Toyota can afford to be bland, but hyundai is still trying to establish their image and they don't want the boring 'we are appliance' image.

4. I now see clear direction in both hyundai/kia, and I believe it's the first big step that will take them to the place both of these companies never been before. I can see hyundai buyers have a strong brand attachment.

5. there will be 10-20% of population who won't like the coupe like profile and aggressive front treatment, character lines and etc, but it clearly doesn't seem to be polarizing enough that it drives away sales like acura TL or RL. from my general observation, i think 8 out of 10 people likes the design of sonata.

6. All of publication comparisons, and many internet reviewers seemed to love sonata's new styling. I have yet to see a sonata reviewer who didn't bring up the 'styling advantage' comment. Not a single article on sonata thinks other cars have styling edge. Again, it's just their opinion, but still it's more than 30 reviewers globally and i think it has some significance.

7. hyundai finally stopped being so predictable. sonata hybrid was definitely a curve ball, and i think we will see few more surprises very soon.

8. My inside source(few of my korean friends who works for hyundai) told me that those big hexagon grill was supposed to be on hyundai much earlier(on santa fe and veracruz), but wasn't approved by conservative folks(hex grill concepts did came out since 2004). but finally things are getting approved, and finally they are letting designers do their thing.

9. Expect Europeans to join the hyundai bandwagon. Hyundai is making record breaking sales across the europe thanks to i10/i20/i30/tucson/santa fe.

10. I really do believe their philosophy has changed. 'let's make a design statement, and stop being so Korean' call it a 'brand joy', but the positive confidence has spread like a wildfire.

11. Negative side to Hyundai's global effort is that they sometimes neglect koreans. they have a strong choke hold on korean market, so they think they just can get away with things.

Last edited by joe80; 04-25-10 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 10:10 PM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a HUGE step forward from the current Accent
Old 04-25-10, 10:18 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

expect the Accent Hatch to have a big Hexagon grill.
Old 04-25-10, 10:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Abbreviated and sloping down rear trunk looks like a hatchback and cheap. It's beyond me why manufacturers still don't realize America judges it's cars by how big the trunk looks (junk in the trunk). Also, wedge lines that flow higher to the end of a car lend a sporty look. Lines that sag or bend down at the rear appear droopy and homely. Honda, Audi, VW, Toyota, and Lexus get this right, and look at their design success over the decades. *The punctuation of a car is so important because it's the final impression.*

Everything else here looks decent, but it's a bit overstyled- as with many recent Hyundais.

Grade- C+
Old 04-26-10, 01:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The interior looks good for this class.

The exterior however looks overstyled, awkward, and as if the car got into an accident.

Not a fan of the exterior at all. There is going to be some heavy competition in the next few years in the entry-level compact segment. The Ford Fiesta IMHO looks better than this, and I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen Yaris also looks better than this.

Assuming Hyundai doesn't raise the price much for the Accent, it should be a good deal with that interior.
Old 04-26-10, 01:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Parked next to the new Sonata last week at chiles.. i was impressed. The interior look very luxury like and straight from Lexus..
Old 04-26-10, 05:55 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Holy obselete transmissions batman!

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Accent