Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson BMW X1 sDrive20d SE "Its Rubbish"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 09:42 PM
LexFather

Post Jeremy Clarkson BMW X1 sDrive20d SE "Its Rubbish"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle7105825.ece

Buying a book to read on holiday is very much like buying a car. There’s a huge and bewildering choice and you are torn about what it is, exactly, that you want. If you are a man, you will know to avoid books called Tractors in the Ukraine and Appleblossom because it’ll be a plotless churn through the life of some dizzy bint who has lost her hat. You will not enjoy reading it and other people on the beach will laugh at you.

What you want, of course, is a book in which a chisel-jawed agent called Clint Thrust attempts to find a hoard of **** gold while under attack from a madman’s fleet of nuclear-powered hunter-killer minisubs. But unfortunately, while this will be engrossing and wonderful, the cover will feature a girl in a bikini, a gold ingot with a swastika on it and a speedboat leaping through an explosion of some kind. This, too, will make you a laughing stock around the pool.

An autobiography, then, seems to be the answer. You look wise. You look like you are interested in other people. And often the story of someone else’s life is fascinating. Unfortunately, the sort of people who have fascinating lives tend not to have time to write autobiographies because they are too busy up the Okavango, rescuing elephants with the sultan of Brunei. This means, therefore, that if you choose to read an autobiography, it will be about someone who is stupid, orange and about 12.

You see the problem. Much like when you buy a car, you want something that is interesting ... but crucially, you want it to make you look interesting when people see you reading it. Achieving this is hard. But, boy oh boy, did I pull off a blinder for my bucket-and-spade holiday reading this Easter.

It’s by a chap called Cormac McCarthy, it’s called The Road and it’s just been made into a film. But news of this development hasn’t yet reached the hill towns of the Cotswolds, so consequently, the cover on the version I bought did not feature a picture of Viggo Mortensen and a sticker saying: “Now a major motion picture.” The cover was good. It looked intelligent.

But the bit inside was even better. It begins with a man and a boy walking down a road in cold weather. And it ends with a man and a boy walking down a road in cold weather. In between, not much happens. But it was brilliant. Even though it is not much thicker than a pamphlet and no longer than a warning notice on a train’s lavatory door, it took me nearly a week to read. I kept going back over some of the phrases thinking: “That didn’t work.” But they do work.

I’m not sure Cormac McCarthy would be much fun as a dinner guest and neither would I seek his company after the death of a loved one or a family pet, but, God Almighty, the man can write. I read the damn thing on a beach in Barbados and it made me feel so cold I had to go and get a jumper.

My wife thought I’d gone mad. So she read it when I’d finished and when she got to the end she went and sat by herself for a while and sobbed.

Not everyone will have heard of The Road or its author. It’s a hidden jewel. It sits in the bookshops like the BMW 135i sits in the dealership: a genuine pearl, lost in a sea of razzmatazz and Day-Glo promises.

I like the BMW 135i very much. It has no styling and no big USP. It’s just some car. But it’s the most faithful BMW of them all. Simple. Six-cylinder engine up front. Rear drive. It’s built for the road. It is The Road.

That’s why I was quite looking forward to trying the new BMW X1. There are a lot of so-called crossover quasi-off-road, urban SUV cars around at the moment and none of them is really any good. They offer no more space than a normal hatchback and they are no more rugged, but they cost more to buy, they use more fuel and — with the exception of the Ford Kuga — they are all preposterously ugly.

I felt BMW might be able to pull off a bit of a winner, then. It had learnt some lessons with the woeful X3 and it really has got styling worked out these days. Plus, BMWs are almost always better to drive than any of the cars with which they compete.

Sadly, I was to be disappointed. First of all, the X1 looks like a Hyundai that’s been subjected to a thousand years of wind erosion. It’s dreary. And it’s much the same story on the inside, where you are greeted with lots of extremely scratchy plastic and almost no equipment at all. You want a built-in sat nav system? Well, tough.

A friend of mine, who runs the car I drove, says that the wiring loom is cheap as well. Quite how he’s determined this, I have no idea, but there you are. It’s cheap to look at, cheap to sit in and cheap to touch. But it’s not even slightly cheap to buy.

No matter, you might think. It’ll be a stormer on the road. Well, yes, it might be if you could buy it with a creamy six-cylinder petrol engine. But you can’t. Instead, sir can have it with any engine he likes, so long as it’s a diesel. Normally, BMW diesels are rather good, but the 2-litre version fitted to the X1 is not. It sounds like a dump truck when you start it up, and any request from the helm for more speed is met with a recalcitrant, “You want to do what?”

It’s very uncomfortable as well. The ride is much too rigid and the seats are very nearly as firm as those fitted to a Ford Galaxy. Which means they are hard enough to shape diamonds. That’s nice if you actually want to shape diamonds, but if you just want a comfy place to sit while you go home, the X1 won’t do.

Off-road work? Well, yes, there is a four-wheel-drive version, which should be all right on farm tracks and the like, but the car I drove was fitted with something called sDrive. That sounds exciting. It sounds like the sort of system Captain Scarlet would have used to fight the Mysterons. But no. For some extraordinary reason, sDrive means rear-wheel drive.

Now I like rear-wheel drive. Rear-wheel drive makes a car feel better balanced than front-wheel drive, or even four-wheel drive. It’s right that the front wheels do the steering and those at the rear the propulsion. It’s why BMWs always feel so proper. But I can’t see the point of such a system in a tall car with the engine from a canal boat under the bonnet.

It robs space, adds cost and means that if we get another snowy winter, you won’t even get out of your drive. I fear the marketing men have insisted this car has rear drive even though it makes no sense at all. The whole package doesn’t, if I’m honest.

If it were a book, it would have no plot and a stupid cover and it would fall to pieces in the sun. But it isn’t a book. And neither is it a car. It’s rubbish.

THE CLARKSOMETER

Clarkson’s verdict

It’s not a car. It’s rubbish

BMW X1 sDrive20d SE

1 out of 5 stars

Engine 1995cc, four cylinders
Power 175bhp @ 4000rpm
Torque 258 lb ft @ 1750rpm
Transmission Six-speed manual
Acceleration 0-62mph: 8.1sec
Top Speed 127mph
Fuel / CO2 53.3mpg / 139g/km
Road Tax Band E (£110 for first year)
Price £24,905
Release date On sale now

Old 04-27-10, 11:58 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The moral of this story is...Let's stick with the X5.

The rest of the series seems so pointless, 1, 3, and 6.
Old 04-28-10, 12:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

lol, that's one funny review from clarkson

seriously, besides the x5, i can't see myself in any of the other x
Old 04-28-10, 08:06 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

his the man i love jeremy i watch top gear here in the state and love ever show..i **** me pants with his comment and jokes
Old 04-28-10, 09:23 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I love how all his reviews start with something so unrelated to the car but then he ties it all up at the end.
Old 04-28-10, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Does he have ANYTHING nice to say about this vehicle? It's hard to believe that any modern vehicle, especially from BMW, could have that many faults.....and earn the title "Rubbish". Even with vehicles I basically don't like, I can find a list of PLUSSES well as MINUSES.
Old 04-28-10, 10:16 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Compared to the x3, the X1 is a good looking SAV/car/rollover candidate. But BMW is seriously going cheap on their entry-level cars nowadays
Old 04-28-10, 10:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review, funny and useful at the same time about a specific vehicle not geared to the US market.
Old 04-28-10, 10:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL... Clarkson is a court jester.. I would consider the bottom basement 2.0d rubbish also. I would not buy a bare bones version of any car but their are some that do.. It is a good thing that BMW offers many choices for those looking for an X1 be it a gas or diesel model..
The X1 23d is a step up in the engine department from the hamster powered 2.0d.

As far as interior....

Exterior looks are subjective but I like it..

As far as handeling, it is a BMW..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5w4...d.php?t=185919
Old 04-28-10, 10:39 AM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Haitwun
The moral of this story is...Let's stick with the X5.

The rest of the series seems so pointless, 1, 3, and 6.
The X6 and the 5 series GT seem to be the epitome of your statement. It seems like so many marketing departments have adopted the philosophy that "everyone needs a car just for them", however, when your mass producing goods you need to make the conscience choice to either cater to the demands of the real market, or cater to the demands of a market that doesn't exist, otherwise you risk bringing down your legitimate products and tarnishing the entire brand. It's not just a problem that's affecting BMW. The new Acura ZDX is another example of a marketing department answering a question that was never asked.
Old 04-28-10, 10:45 AM
LexFather

Giant pics prove Clarkson's point

Old 04-28-10, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dashocker - Thanks for the pics, I actually like the styling (versus the ugly old X3).
Old 04-28-10, 12:48 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If he disliked the X6 so much I wonder what would have made him thought this was going to be any different...
Old 04-28-10, 12:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wonder what he would think about the car if he tested one with AWD and a gas 6 cylinder since it seems like that was his biggest beef.

Personally I don't think it looks bad. Its certainly smaller than I would have thought.
Old 04-28-10, 12:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wonder what he would think about the car if he tested one with AWD and a gas 6 cylinder since it seems like that was his biggest beef.

Personally I don't think it looks bad. Its certainly smaller than I would have thought.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson BMW X1 sDrive20d SE "Its Rubbish"