Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Demise of the Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 10:19 PM
LexFather

Post Demise of the Dipstick

MMarshall is going to love this one

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/t...n-dilatory-dr/
The practice of opening the hood at every fuel stop used to be routine. With an oil-soaked rag in hand, the worker reached over and pulled out the hot metal dipstick, and after a quick cleaning swipe, the dipstick was plunged back into its tube and pushed down into the sump of scalding oil. Withdrawn again, a tell-tale black film in the middle of the scored lines marked the oil level very accurately.

Today, many late model vehicles are running sans oil dipstick. Electronic oil level senders have replaced the metal rod – to the bafflement and frustration of the few remaining hands-on enthusiasts everywhere.

In an effort to find out who exactly is responsible for the dipstick-abolishing movement, Autoblog contacted Audi, BMW and Porsche – three respected German automakers who have embraced the technology for several years. All three gave us the same answer. Contrary to Internet rumors, the elimination of an inexpensive metal rod is not a cost-cutting measure, nor is it an environmental issue (word on the web said each check of a dipstick introduced ounces of polluting dirty oil into the ecosystem).

Quite frankly, the automakers point out that we simply don't need dipsticks anymore. Why? Because owners don't use them. While they don't specifically say it, those who engineer and assemble our new cars (and guarantee new vehicle warranties) are much more comfortable knowing that a silicon chip is monitoring the oil level – not a consumer who hasn't checked tire pressures (or even opened the hood) since the last time the Vikings won the Super Bowl.

Today's comatose driver expects everything to be automated – and it is. Look no further than the myriad of digitized warning lights on the dashboard when the key is turned (um... make that the start button). Don't blame the automakers for the disappearance of the dipstick – blame the public at large.

Old 04-28-10, 01:35 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wait until the sensor fails...

Sometimes you need a mechanical/physical object to fall back on.... a dipstick cant read the oil level wrong. I think this is a big fail waiting to happen...
Old 04-28-10, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
MMarshall is going to love this one
Like you love Acuras?

Quite frankly, the automakers point out that we simply don't need dipsticks anymore. Why? Because owners don't use them.

Today's comatose driver expects everything to be automated – and it is.
An interesting question, though, is where do you draw the line between technology and laziness? I'm sure there will be different opinions on that. And GiantsFan, above, makes a good point about sensor unreliability...or simply inadaquate programming. BMW, for example, had to replace some engines under warranty when the sensors themselves let the oil go too long (or get too low).

However, to be honest, dipsticks are not always 100% reliable either. After the engine is shut off (and especially when it is hot) it often takes some time for the oil to all drain down and recover its true crankcase level. If you don't wait awhile before you check it, sometimes you will get either a false low reading or the oil will be smeared all over the dipstick itself. That's why, like with tire pressures, it's usually best to check the oil level cold, before engine start.

You will also sometimes get a false low reading with a dipstick after a long, hard engine run because all the moisture in the system gets evaporated and vaporized with the prolonged heat. Some of what normally appears on a dipstick, especially when cold, is actually moisture in the system, not oil. When the moisture is all gone, then what you see on the dipstick is the true amount of oil in the system. That's also one of the reasons why the oil needs changing less often when the engine is run on long enough trips to stay hot....less moisture stays in the system.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-10 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 06:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Cost cutting!
I like having a dipstick.
Old 04-28-10, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Cost cutting!
I like having a dipstick.
Agreed, even on Porsches that have electronic oil level monitoring I still like the redundant dip stick.
Old 04-28-10, 10:24 AM
LexFather

Old 04-28-10, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, with the whipping-stick, he's a funny character, but Castrol is a good enough product that it doesn't have to resort to silly marketing like that. It's one of the best oils on the market, especially for dino oil.....I've used it myself for many years.

BTW, though it is not universal by any means, I've noticed that many racing teams use one of three brands...Castrol, Valvoline, or Penzoil (Mobil1 is also popular). I'd use any of these without a second thought.
Old 04-28-10, 03:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually liked that TV ad.
Old 04-28-10, 03:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I never saw that ad, so thanks for posting it. But I still see plenty of "dipsticks" around.
Old 04-28-10, 04:13 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Just wait until the sensor fails...

Sometimes you need a mechanical/physical object to fall back on.... a dipstick cant read the oil level wrong. I think this is a big fail waiting to happen...
Yeah I don't see the big deal in having the dipstick there.
Old 04-28-10, 04:21 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only time I have checked the oil is when I thought something might be wrong. Other than that, I don't use the dipstick.
With our cars, there really is no need.
Except to make sure the tech put oil in after a service oil change.
I know someone this happened to. Techs forgot to replace the oil. Took a couple days but when it went, it went all the way. My friend got a new engine but the car was never the same.
Old 04-28-10, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
Except to make sure the tech put oil in after a service oil change.
I know someone this happened to. Techs forgot to replace the oil. Took a couple days but when it went, it went all the way. My friend got a new engine but the car was never the same.
Shouldn't need even a dipstick to tell you that. With an empty crankcase, the red oil light would stay on (or the oil-pressure-gauge at zero), even after startup. And the engine would start making all kinds of noise after just a few seconds, when the thin film of oil on the moving parts is gone.
Old 04-28-10, 09:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont check my oil level. I service my cars every 5-6k miles and thats been fine for my Lexus, Infiniti, and my old school Hondas from back in the day. To be honest I just dont think its necessary to be under the hood repeatedly at fuel stops to check engine oil on a newer modern car. I am aware that oil consumption is normal , but after 5k miles on a car with less than 50-60k miles I do not think its something to be worried about. They can take mine
Old 04-28-10, 09:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont check my oil level. I service my cars every 5-6k miles and thats been fine for my Lexus, Infiniti, and my old school Hondas from back in the day. To be honest I just dont think its necessary to be under the hood repeatedly at fuel stops to check engine oil on a newer modern car. I am aware that oil consumption is normal , but after 5k miles on a car with less than 50-60k miles I do not think its something to be worried about. They can take mine
Because of very close production tolerances in modern engines, oil consumption, even during the critical break-in period, is nowhere near what it used to be even 20-30 years ago, but you still don't want to just sit back and forget about it. Check it at least every thousand miles or so...preferably with the engine cold. That also gives you a chance to take a quick glance around under the hood and see if there is anything obviously out of place.....a fluid leak, low fluid levels in the see-through reservoirs, smoke coming up where it shouldn't, etc...... though leaks and smoke, of course, are best detected with the engine hot and running.

This is why, in my auto reviews, I take the time to describe the general layout under the hood, and what conditions are like for DIY-ers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-10 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 08:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to bump the old thread, but this is what I'm experiencing right now, and this is precisely why getting rid of the dipstick is an idiotic idea.

About a week ago my wife complained to me that her car displayed low oil warning. I went to check the car out, and the warning was gone, and i-drive showed normal oil level, right in the middle between min and max. It's been back to normal until today.

Today she complains to me that the car is doing it again. I go to check the car, and it presents me with this screen.

Demise of the Dipstick-i4yu4.jpg

I click OK, and it shows the next screen.

Demise of the Dipstick-lckew.jpg

I turned the car on and off several times, and it kept displaying the same thing. So I carefully drive to the nearest gas station to buy oil. I purchased two quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 oil, put one quart into the engine, like instructed, and go back to start the car, and go into the oil check screen.

And this is what the screen says

Demise of the Dipstick-rucu3.jpg

To go from below minimum all the way to maximum with just one quart is not realistic and doesn't make sense at all. I have a feeling its just the sensor going out and not reporting oil level correctly. I have a feeling that the oil level was normal, but incorrectly reported, and now the oil is probably overfilled.

To add insult to the injury, you can only check oil level when the car is running. What genius though of that is beyond me. There's no telling how much oil is in the engine while its off, and starting engine with improper oil level can cause serious damage.

This is extremely frustrating to say the least.

P.S. The car only has just over 5k miles, with BMW recommending oil change intervals at 15k.

Last edited by Och; 11-19-10 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Demise of the Dipstick