Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Corvette Museum wants to build race track

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 10:24 PM
LexFather

Post Corvette Museum wants to build race track

I've been to the Museum and would go back if they built this...

And not just a track, either. The National Corvette Museum wants to build an entire motorsports complex, including two road courses, a kart track, a ten-acre autocross course and a quarter-mile drag strip in Bowling Green, Kentucky. If that wasn't ambitious enough, the museum wants to do it on the opposite side of I-65 from the main museum and Corvette manufacturing plant. If the plan goes through, the two will be connected via a series of bridges and tunnels.

The main track borrows elements from some of our personal favorite courses, including the Carousel from the Nürburgring and the infamous Bus Stop from Watkins Glen. Even better, the museum says its courses will be FIA and SCCA compliant, meaning that when finished, we may actually see some impressive competitions take place on the new grounds.

The whole kit and caboodle is expected to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 million, excluding the price tag of all those bridges, etc, and the Corvette Museum has to come up with the majority of that figure before breaking ground. We're not sure exactly how the non-profit plans to come up with all of that coin, but we're betting Corvette owners can expect a polite request for donations sometime soon.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/0...ghway/

Old 04-28-10, 03:38 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm down in this general area all the time. The land they need for it is pretty much all farm, right off I-65. It's getting those people to give up all that space for it. I'd love to see this put in, we need a track in this area.
Old 04-28-10, 05:11 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks like an awesome plan. NCM is one of those places I've always wanted to visit. I understand that taking museum delivery of your new Corvette (the assembly plant is across the street) is a great experience. It's like a $500 option you can order with the car. Your friends and family from around the world can watch on the NCM webcams.
Old 04-28-10, 06:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

been there too....museum was nice and all but (factory tour is better IMO)...for some reason I don't feel like there is substantial backing for a complex like that....and there wasn't a soul in the museum when we went during the week.

yes, I know a motorsports complex is a different beast but I think they had a helluva time just getting backing for the NCM.
Old 04-28-10, 07:43 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this idea!
Old 04-28-10, 08:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If GM is paying for this I wouldn't count on it. Thats an expenditure that I am sure will get cut before it gets off the ground
Old 04-28-10, 09:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If Chevy, by building something like this, is going to actively promote Corvette motorsports, then it begs the question of if the factory-warranty restriction on using the car for competitive events will still be in force?
Old 04-28-10, 09:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If Chevy, by building something like this, is going to actively promote Corvette motorsports, then it begs the question of if the factory-warranty restriction on using the car for competitive events will still be in force?
good point...