Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TSX and TL Type S debuts...oh wait...red badges debut...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 01:12 PM
Des@Cerritos
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These replys are comedy hahahaha
Old 04-30-10, 01:18 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-30-10, 08:16 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in no way defending the TL, just stated that it's not as bad as people seem to make it out to be. The styling is so-so with the beak, but when you drive the car, you're not looking at the outside of it. Driving experience is better than most cars in it's segment. I've driven a few and rode in the others. But the Type S badges are tacky. That's a fact, but the TL can be had from the factory with the accessories like 19" wheels, subtle body kit, SH-AWD for less than equally equipped cars from the competitors. The beak is tacky, but the link I gave has a quick fix for that, and it's not too expensive.
Old 04-30-10, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TF109B
I'm in no way defending the TL, just stated that it's not as bad as people seem to make it out to be. The styling is so-so with the beak, but when you drive the car, you're not looking at the outside of it. Driving experience is better than most cars in it's segment. I've driven a few and rode in the others. But the Type S badges are tacky. That's a fact, but the TL can be had from the factory with the accessories like 19" wheels, subtle body kit, SH-AWD for less than equally equipped cars from the competitors. The beak is tacky, but the link I gave has a quick fix for that, and it's not too expensive.
I've driven the car too and shared my thoughts here. I clearly stated once you can get past the looks, lack of prestige, lack of technology, avg dealer service and price its a great car for loyal Honda fans. Its not a bad driving car at all. The salesman I spoke to said he has had 6 Toyota Avalon trades for it so someone likes it.

The beak is only the BEGINNING to its problem. The front fender buldge is ridiculous, the wheelbase is too short, the overhangs are awful, the hoffmeister kink is forced, the exhausts look like Pontiac tack ons and the rear is an ugly GM Saturn rip off. The badges are tacky but there is a bigger problem, the entire car is tacky.

I am not one to buy an ugly car just to say "oh it drives well" when there are too many good looking or at least bland looking cars that "drive well". Clearly people agree as the TL sales goal of 70k a year wasn't even close to reached, around 37k were sold, nearly 50% below expectations.

All they had to do was maybe touch this up as to this day it is one of the best looking sedans around.

This thread is another example showing that the styling you say is fine without the beak is not. Dealers are desperate to do anything to try to fix and touch up the styling.

Lipstick on a pig is still lipstick on a pig. Its not like this post is revealing anything new, EVERYONE knows this.

Old 04-30-10, 08:53 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I think it looks good without the beak and option body kit from the factory. I don't think its the BEST looking car around though. I'd much rather have a GS, but the TL does look good to me with the options and the 'beak' replacement. That's JUST ME though, at least it seems- heh
Old 04-30-10, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TF109B
I think it looks good without the beak and option body kit from the factory. I don't think its the BEST looking car around though. I'd much rather have a GS, but the TL does look good to me with the options and the 'beak' replacement. That's JUST ME though, at least it seems- heh
Agree to this disagree then.

Old 05-01-10, 02:23 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Agreed! Or is it, disagreed? haha j/k
Old 05-03-10, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, guys.....I should have thought of this before. I noticed this on a neighbor's Corolla S. I just wonder if this Acura dealership, in ordering the red "S" badges, is getting them from the local Toyota shop?

There were a number of different Acura versions, so I can't show them in just one shot.