Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When Fords were Chevrolets . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 09:09 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink When Fords were Chevrolets . . .

Ran across a interesting bit of trivia in a book the other night -

When racing Fords were powered by Chevrolet.

It seems back in 1916, the Chevrolet brothers, who were building their own line of cars, formed "Frontenac Motors Corporation" to camouflage the fact that they were manufacturing racing engines for their much larger rival, Ford. These "Fronty Fords" established a strong racing reputation in 1916 and 1917, before racing was shut down as America entered WWI.

When racing picked up again in the post-war years, in 1921, a Fronty Ford won Indy with its "Chevrolet" engine, marking the final appearance of Frontenac in the winner's circle at the brickyard. But that wasn't the end of the Fronty Fords - one finished fifth in 1923, winning $3,000. At the 1924 Indy, Henry Ford was the Grand Marshal - and posed at the wheel of a Fonty Ford built by Arthur Chevrolet.

In the race itself, all three Fronty-Fords entered finished the race, and although they did not win, ALL bettered their qualifying times and beat the previous year's record pace, averaging over 100mph on the straights.

1922 Indy, a Fronty-Ford - a Chevrolet-built engine on a Model T chassis - was driven to 18th place by C. Glenn Howard. Photo Courtesy of National Motor Museum / HIP / TopFoto

Frontenac ended their direct support of Ford about that time, but they were never a stranger to the checkered flag at dirt-track races across the nation. Frontenac continued to make special valves and heads for Model T racers that were virtually unbeatable - even up until the 1940's.

So the next time a Ford fan regales you with tales of Ford's racing glory years of the 60's and '70's, tell him about the time when Fords were powered by Chevrolet.
Old 04-29-10, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, Lil, from 1916, just fast-forward 30 or 40 years. In the 50's (and, of course, since then), how many '32 Ford "Deuce" coupes had 265 c.i and 283 c.i. Chevy V8s stuffed into them? I'm sure you remember them well...as I do. Songs were written about them. Later ones, of course, used bigger-block Chevy mills.
Old 04-29-10, 11:22 AM
LexFather

Interesting bit of history, thanks!!!