Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Hyundai Elantra revealed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 09:11 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hyundai Elantra revealed

Hyundai has been very busy lately as it progresses through round two of its 24/7 product renewal program. Just days after unveiling the new Accent/Verna in Beijing, Hyundai has revealed its next generation Elantra/Avante at the Busan Motor Show in South Korea. Like the smaller Accent, the Elantra has picked up the "fluidic sculpture" styling cues of its big brother the Sonata. By virtue of its larger size, the Elantra retains more of the sleeker profile of the Sonata and doesn't look as stubby as the Accent.

Like the Sonata, the new Elantra gets a direct injected inline-four, in this case a 1.6-liter based on the Gamma engine family. For the Elantra the GDI 1.6 generates 138 horsepower and 123 pound-feet of torque. In combination with a new six-speed automatic transmission, the Elantra should get about 10 percent better fuel economy.

The Avante will go on sale in South Korea in the second half of this year and we'd expect to see it state-side with Elantra badges early in 2011. No word yet on whether we will get a hybrid version of the new Elantra. High-res images below, official press release available after the jump.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/29/b...show-in-korea/

looks like a legit Civic & Corolla competitor. Another huge huge home run IMO.

Last edited by joe80; 04-29-10 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 09:13 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I like it. It's the first new Hyundai design I think looks good.

But even with that I think the new Focus looks better...
Old 04-29-10, 09:20 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I think Focus and this will now be legit players threatening to dethrone the perennial tag team champion civic and corolla.

focus/elantra = fusion/sonata

both companies surprise me everyday.

what I like about what Hyundai is doing that they are finally having a clear design direction that they desperately needed.
Old 04-29-10, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The more-subdued grille looks MUCH better than the ones on the new Accent and Sonata, but, IMO, the headlights sweep back way too much. The rear end and hump-back roofline seem pretty much the same as the Accent/Sonata....so good luck to tall people getting in and out the back seat.
Old 04-29-10, 09:29 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Not bad. I can see little sonata here.
Old 04-29-10, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Accent Elanta Sonata same style 3 different sizes how original. Seems they are trying to hard with the random lines and curves.

Is there a good looking car in that class? Corolla civic 3 this yuck

Old 04-29-10, 09:34 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The more-subdued grille looks MUCH better than the ones on the new Accent and Sonata, but, IMO, the headlights sweep back way too much. The rear end and hump-back roofline seem pretty much the same as the Accent/Sonata....so good luck to tall people getting in and out the back seat.

definitely won't be for those 6ft+ dudes on the back. but this is supposed to be longer than the current model with even longer wheel base(from brenda priddy's opinion), so i think it won't be too bad.
Old 04-29-10, 09:36 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Old 04-29-10, 09:38 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Trunk lid screams BMW 3 series, but overall its a good looking car.
Old 04-29-10, 09:41 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Accent Elanta Sonata same style 3 different sizes how original. Seems they are trying to hard with the random lines and curves.

just your opinion. Corolla is not a bad looking car and Civic is a looker. Forte looks good and Focus is awesome.

been following this all day today, andprobably more than 9 out of 10 people seemed to like this. even more so than Sonata.

What I see is a clear design direction. This is a huge success. it will double the current elantra sales.
Old 04-29-10, 09:41 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Nice looking car. I think Hyundai has some excellent gems coming from their showroom. I may have to start calling Honda the crooked H.
Old 04-29-10, 09:56 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
agreed. new focus really might become the next best seller. Ford has all the momentum, and Focus truly is a great looking compact car.
Old 04-29-10, 10:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
just your opinion. Corolla is not a bad looking car and Civic is a looker. Forte looks good and Focus is awesome.

been following this all day today, andprobably more than 9 out of 10 people seemed to like this. even more so than Sonata.

What I see is a clear design direction. This is a huge success. it will double the current elantra sales.
My opinion holds weight. This will make a great rental

Old 04-29-10, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
agreed. new focus really might become the next best seller. Ford has all the momentum, and Focus truly is a great looking compact car.
I'll withold final comment until I see one close-up and and review it, but, based on what little I saw at the D.C. show on the turntable, and from what I've read about it, I agree with you that the Focus may have the potential to become a great competitior. I can see the Focus and the Elantra slugging it out in the sales figures.

This is (apparantly) not going to be the basic-transportation, bread-and-butter, economy-car Focus we've had here in America all these years.
Old 04-29-10, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My opinion holds weight. This will make a great rental
Don't forget, though, that rentals sometimes lead to sales.

Quick Reply: New Hyundai Elantra revealed