Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoblog Review: 2010 Acura ZDX is a space (challenged) oddity

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 12:18 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any picture of ZDX with an aftermarket grill? maybe all black? it really is not a bad looking car when you just remove the beak.
Old 04-30-10, 12:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YARIS!
It's subjective. Some people think Aston Martin's are ugly too.
Whom are these people? They are the vast minortiy. It is universally accepted Aston Martin makes beautiful cars. I might have read a "Sameness" comment but its the same good looking style in everything they make.
• Aston Martin Rapide & DBS Volante voted the most beautiful cars of 2009 by readers of Auto Motor und Sport magazine in Germany

http://www.astonmartin.com/eng/theco...1-3cc376b69521

So while say 10 people think Aston Martin is ugly, 90 think its beautiful. Contrarily while 90 people say the ZitDX is ugly, 10 think it looks good. That is the difference.

Old 04-30-10, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Not everyone hates it. Working for an Acura dealer, I've talked to dozens of people who like or love it. Yesterday, a customer traded in an '07 Audi A8 for one.

Not saying I love it (although I do like it). My biggest problem with it is the lack of practicality compared to the MDX, not styling. I still rather have seen the return of a CL coupe.
Originally Posted by YARIS
It's subjective. Some people think Aston Martin's are ugly too.
While I personally disagree with YARIS's opinion here on the ZDX (I happen to be one of those who think it is fugly, poorly-designed, and impractical), I can understand (and respect) how he feels. I sometimes find myself in the clear minority of opinion on certain vehicles, even here on CL and CAR CHAT. The new 2011 Sonata and Accent are good examples of vehicles whose styling I don't like (for several reasons), yet most of the rest of this forum disagrees, and thinks Hyundai has done the right thing. Another area where I often disagree with the majority is with large-diameter-wheels and low-profile tires. I also don't hate older, softer-riding Buicks (except for their cheap, lousy interiors) as much as some other CL members do. I don't think any of us, at random, would agree with anyone else, at random, on the forum 100%.

Mike (1SICKLEX), though, makes a good point when he states that out of any given sample of people, probably 90% would like an Aston Martin's looks, and the other 10% wouldn't.
Old 04-30-10, 04:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone who thinks Aston Martins are ugly needs to check their sexual orientation.

Anyone who finds the ZDX attractive, imho, should be locked up - with such tastes they might also become sex offenders
Old 04-30-10, 04:53 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I love Aston Martin's too, of course.

My point is that there is no such thing as a car design that 100% of the public will find unquestionably attractive.

I prefer automakers to stay away from completely polarizing designs where the ZDX falls under, but sometimes a stretch is made in an effort to be truly original in the hopes of drawing attention and hopefully excitement.

One of the saleswomen I work with is actually dying to get the Honda Crosstour. Most of us have agreed to its hideousness, yet many are choosing it over every other offering on the market. Go figure. Same story was with the Aztec. And the automakers themselves don't say, "well, it's ugly as hell, but lets build it!!" The designers and executives all have to love it enough to invest up to billions in bringing these cars to life.
Old 04-30-10, 05:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the AM any day, don't need to check anything to reach that conclusion.

My biggest problem with the ZDX is the styling. I have nothing against sleek styling that causes some sacrifice in practical space utilization (XF, CLS, IS, A5, Vantage, are some of my favorites as examples, subjective as that is).

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-30-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 02:14 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

any photochop gurus here? the front looks very nice minus the beak. i really want to see the blacked out grill on this.

and nothing ugly about the behind IMO.
Old 05-01-10, 02:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The rear is as ugly as the front, with that downmarket blackout hatch treatment, weird exhaust outlets integrated with reflectors for no good reason other than to be gimmicky, too small back window and excessive number of rear window stuff in rear doors, odd proportions.
Old 05-01-10, 03:07 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Two extremes, there. Aston Martin, the most beautiful piece of automotive sculpture on earth, and, the Acura ZDX, the ugliest sheet metal on 4 wheels. Personally, I think the ZDX is uglier than the infamous Pontiac Aztec. At least the Aztec had superior utility. I look at the ZDX (I've only seen it once, on the freeway) and I Got sick to my stomach. It is truly beyond my wildest imagination how a car company could sign off on releasing something like this to the public. It is truly revolting.
Old 05-01-10, 03:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

oh please. It's not uglier than Aztec.

the bird beak is horrendous, but overall it's very sporty looking. Yes, it's basically a pointless car just like X6 is, but it's not a design chaos like Aztek.

just put a better grill and the front will be solved. it looks like a honda. it's not that bad.

Last edited by joe80; 05-01-10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 01:19 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

My wife saw it at the local acura dealership and said it was a pretty ugly coupe. I had to go online and show her it was 4 door, because she didnt see the door handles. But the back is better then the front. the overall shape is just odd, imo.
Old 05-02-10, 01:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all the stupid little accents that Acura is putting on their cars. Starts off with the beak grill obviously, but also the rear bumper light reflector molded to the exhaust outlet port with chrome trim, the funny triangular shaped front lower air dam, the fact they need to highlight the harld line crease in the center of the car both front and back. I think they shouldn't have that in the rear myself at all. The round gas cap reminds me of cheap rentals, I don't know why but it just does. The simple basic shape on many of today's Acura's are not that bad and similar to many of the better looking cars on the road today, but then they just go nuts with the accent styling.
Old 05-02-10, 02:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I finally saw one on the road not to long ago. Car does not look good in person, but it did attract attention. People were looking at it. I however did LOVE the brownish bronze color! That paint job is something special!