Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Benz CL550 Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 03:38 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sunday I went to another dealer to give the E-Coupe a try....since I missed it on my visit the other day. It was 11 am and it wasn't open yet. I walked around looking at the cars in front of the dealer. While doing this a guy drove up in a pretty burgandy Maserati Quat. The chrome wheels were too small but the car looked nice overall. Wheels were 19 in Savini mesh.
I'm looking at this dude in amazement. He has braided hair with a stocking cap on top. He's got a fat pot belly. He's got a white diamond neckchain with Merecedes diamond crusted charm. He's got on a wife-beater undershirt and wearing hous slippers. I was looking for the gold teeth grill but I think he had only one gold-capped tooth. Anyway, I'm thinking dude looks like a typical dope dealer from the streets.

I complimented his car and he starts talking. He came there to buy a CL63 cash money. He hoped that some of the salesman pass him up because of his look then he will find someone cool to lay all the cash on. He says he has 5 cars with at least 2 being Benzes and I could see his Quat.
He tells me owns a plastering company and buys all his cars cash.
Through the windo, we could see a CL63 AMG with the latest Carllson wheels in size 22. That sucker looked hot. He said he was going to buy that one. I felt a little guilty for thinking he looked like a street drug dealer. You just never know.....can't always judge a book by it's cover.
Old 05-04-10, 04:24 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Sunday I went to another dealer to give the E-Coupe a try....since I missed it on my visit the other day. It was 11 am and it wasn't open yet. I walked around looking at the cars in front of the dealer. While doing this a guy drove up in a pretty burgandy Maserati Quat. The chrome wheels were too small but the car looked nice overall. Wheels were 19 in Savini mesh.
I'm looking at this dude in amazement. He has braided hair with a stocking cap on top. He's got a fat pot belly. He's got a white diamond neckchain with Merecedes diamond crusted charm. He's got on a wife-beater undershirt and wearing hous slippers. I was looking for the gold teeth grill but I think he had only one gold-capped tooth. Anyway, I'm thinking dude looks like a typical dope dealer from the streets.

I complimented his car and he starts talking. He came there to buy a CL63 cash money. He hoped that some of the salesman pass him up because of his look then he will find someone cool to lay all the cash on. He says he has 5 cars with at least 2 being Benzes and I could see his Quat.
Through the windo, we could see a CL63 AMG with the latest Carllson wheels in size 22. That sucker looked hot. He said he was going to buy that one. I felt a little guilty for thinking he looked like a street drug dealer. You just never know.....can't always judge a book by it's cover.
Ha Ha!!! Right on. I can totally relate to old dude. Well in the sense that I will rock a wifebeater (actually a 2xist tank top) t-shirt and alot of comfy clothes in general when I'm out and about. When I go shopping I just HOPE that salespeople ignore me so I can go looking for one to give my lettuce to that looks like they are nice or helpful.
The funny thing is, I was taught this by my own Grandpa who had paper himself but never splurged on jewelery or flashy things (I'm a lil' more flashy though) and he always told me never judge a book by it's cover. He said, "Some of the richest people I know you would never tell by outward appearance."
If anything... I get asked if I play pro ball. LOL! But that prob has something to do with keeping in shape.
Old 05-05-10, 03:01 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This is funny but true. The richest people are the ones who don't show it off. A lot of these people who have the nice cars and huge houses are in debt up to their eyeballs. Sure some of them really do have money, but I would say the majority are just putting on a front. Most of them have been exposed in the past few years due to the economy. We have a neighbor who always put on a front like this. They bought their house at the peak of the market (1.7mill), and always drove nice cars. They usually had a new one every 6 months, and they were always expensive (7-series, S and CL, Range Rover etc.) with dealer plates that I had never seen. Well this past summer I was visiting my parents and heard this yelling so I went outside. Sure enough the repo man was there taking a Range Rover. The owner was fighting back and wouldn't get out of the car. It was good entertainment. Right before he finally got the Range Rover I heard the repo guy yell "Where the f*&^ are my other cars." All their cars had the same dealer plates on them with an Eagle, but never a name. Anyways the house foreclosed and was sold at an auction, and it turns out the previous owner bought it under his moms name for around a million. Now they have a CLS550 and a 7 series with New York plates. Neighbors have called the police numerous times, but nothing ever happens. Only smart move I can say this guy made is buying back his house for nearly half the amount he paid.
Old 05-05-10, 04:05 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

as odd as it sounds, theres nothing wrong with paying all cash for the biggest items (cars, house). in today's society, people just shoot for the down payment, which is fine until they realize that their mortgage(s) are too much than what they can afford, and thus are living paycheck to paycheck. ive seen a few clients who said that they wouldn't change their lifestyle but are also practically living on the edge (no savings, no emergency fund, no retirement saved). its unfortunate that people rely too heavily on credit, and i try to advise as many people as possible to use cash whenever feasible. most people think they cant save up for a house or a car in its entirety, but in actuality, i think everyone can. the downside is having to save a little bit longer, but personally i think that beats having to pay so much in interest and finance charges.
Old 05-05-10, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
This is funny but true. The richest people are the ones who don't show it off. A lot of these people who have the nice cars and huge houses are in debt up to their eyeballs. Sure some of them really do have money, but I would say the majority are just putting on a front. Most of them have been exposed in the past few years due to the economy. We have a neighbor who always put on a front like this. They bought their house at the peak of the market (1.7mill), and always drove nice cars. They usually had a new one every 6 months, and they were always expensive (7-series, S and CL, Range Rover etc.) with dealer plates that I had never seen. Well this past summer I was visiting my parents and heard this yelling so I went outside. Sure enough the repo man was there taking a Range Rover. The owner was fighting back and wouldn't get out of the car. It was good entertainment. Right before he finally got the Range Rover I heard the repo guy yell "Where the f*&^ are my other cars." All their cars had the same dealer plates on them with an Eagle, but never a name. Anyways the house foreclosed and was sold at an auction, and it turns out the previous owner bought it under his moms name for around a million. Now they have a CLS550 and a 7 series with New York plates. Neighbors have called the police numerous times, but nothing ever happens. Only smart move I can say this guy made is buying back his house for nearly half the amount he paid.
An excellent post. There are a few real Donald Trumps, but plenty of imitators.

I myself fall somewhere in the middle. I could afford to drive a more expensive car than I do (and some other things, too), but I'm a firm believer in having that cushion of $$$$$ in your nest egg and in the bank for emergencies.
Old 05-05-10, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The government, though, sometimes DOES try to judge a book by its cover.
Case in point......by Federal law, all automotive cash sales over $10,000 are reported to law enforcement and kept in a database. This applies to everyone, whether they look and act like a drug dealer or not.

It's true that most people have nothing to hide when car-shopping (including, of course, you and me). But that law came about when, some years ago, the FBI raided a local dealership here in NoVA (just a couple of miles from my house, in fact) because they had undercover agents, posting as car-shoppers, offering to buy cars on the lot with imitation "drug" money. The dealership accepted.....they didn't care where the money came from, as long as they got paid. One sales manager, and one or two sales reps went to jail over that. The law was passed, by Congress, because government wants to have some idea of where large amounts of cash are circulating, and who might (?) have drug money.

So, since the thread topic is which new car you are interested in, keep that in mind if you decide to pay cash for it.

My personal view is, though, I'd just pay the cash anyway. I'd rather not be in debt, have a clear title, and have the cops know I paid cash (I don't have anything to hide), than have to concern myself with credit, monthly payments, liens, and the repo man.
Old 05-05-10, 05:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who knows what this thread is about anymore, lol....

But I am thankful I didn't have to see this in person:

"I'm looking at this dude in amazement. He has braided hair with a stocking cap on top. He's got a fat pot belly. He's got a white diamond neckchain with Merecedes diamond crusted charm. He's got on a wife-beater undershirt and wearing hous slippers."

But I agree, a CL550 can be modd'ed tastefully, beautiful car.
Old 05-05-10, 06:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The government, though, sometimes DOES try to judge a book by its cover.
Case in point......by Federal law, all automotive cash sales over $10,000 are reported to law enforcement and kept in a database. This applies to everyone, whether they look and act like a drug dealer or not.

It's true that most people have nothing to hide when car-shopping (including, of course, you and me). But that law came about when, some years ago, the FBI raided a local dealership here in NoVA (just a couple of miles from my house, in fact) because they had undercover agents, posting as car-shoppers, offering to buy cars on the lot with imitation "drug" money. The dealership accepted.....they didn't care where the money came from, as long as they got paid. One sales manager, and one or two sales reps went to jail over that. The law was passed, by Congress, because government wants to have some idea of where large amounts of cash are circulating, and who might (?) have drug money.

So, since the thread topic is which new car you are interested in, keep that in mind if you decide to pay cash for it.

My personal view is, though, I'd just pay the cash anyway. I'd rather not be in debt, have a clear title, and have the cops know I paid cash (I don't have anything to hide), than have to concern myself with credit, monthly payments, liens, and the repo man.
Thanks for the info about the law. Since I have nothing to hide, it doesn't bother me. Might actually be fun to watch the law officials search for something they won't find.
Old 05-06-10, 06:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

But I am thankful I didn't have to see this in person:

"I'm looking at this dude in amazement. He has braided hair with a stocking cap on top. He's got a fat pot belly. He's got a white diamond neckchain with Merecedes diamond crusted charm. He's got on a wife-beater undershirt and wearing hous slippers."
This could be Santa during the off season
Old 05-06-10, 08:19 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Is it about cars???

Old 05-06-10, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Is it about cars???

Thanks I thought it was drifting into some fat pimp daddy that "could be Santa during the off season".

But I do like the CL. Last Sunday when I had my Lexus parked in front of the Hotel Valencia, there was a new white CL w/custom wheels, it looked very nice.
Old 05-06-10, 05:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

This thread is about the CL and my desire to get one......very clear to me.
I brought up the guy who looked like a dealer because I had him pegged wrongly and he was buying the same car I wanted....and he was buying it the way I will.....cash money.

BTW, I haven't been able to check out the other cars on my list because I keep having visions of the CL. It's really stylish. I dunno, that thing is growing on me.
Old 05-07-10, 06:58 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Get the CL! I went to lunch with my mom today and we took the CL. Can't stress what an amazing car it is. Im not sure if your only a new car person, but a used CL will save you quite a bit of money.
Old 05-08-10, 06:00 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

BTW, I haven't been able to check out the other cars on my list because I keep having visions of the CL. It's really stylish. I dunno, that thing is growing on me.
If I could EVER share words of wisdom... go with your first choice... otherwise, who knows... 14 months later, you might STILL be trying to decide...

Old 05-08-10, 06:57 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GTR would be my tops on that list. If you want a sports car, do it properly.

After the GTR, on your list, I would say Jag XKR, then S5. The others are not in same league.

Quick Reply: Benz CL550 Mini Review