Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Benz CL550 Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 03:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Benz CL550 Mini Review

I am thinking aqbout getting a new car. I am a coupe man and my loins ache for one. Here's what's on my radar:
- Audi S5
- Jaguar XKR
- Infiniti G37
- Nissan 370Z
- Nissan GTR
- Benz E55 Coupe
As you all can see, the CL is not on my list because I felt it's just a 2 door S-Class and it's really pricey at 135K. I want to stay under 100K.
I went there to try the E-Class coupe but I was disappointed they only come with panaramic roofs, the interior feels cheaper than I want for a car of this price and the styling didn't seem as nice up close. I didn't even drive it.
Then the salesman said a pre-owned CL would be in the same range as the new E so I tried a CL550.

It is a very stylish car. Curves everywhere, on every surface. ALmost too curvy but a nice kit will flatten it out.
Thje interior is really nice. The wood is the best I've ever seen. The seats really comfy but firm. The car has all kind of tech. WHen making turns the seats grab you to keep from sliding. They massage as you drive. The Nav has voice command. I could go on and on.

The ride is nice. It is a luxury car. On sport setting, it was still a big luxo barge....until you put your foot in it. Then the suspension tightens and you tell yourself to enjoy it buit you never really do. The problem....too much tech. When you mash the gas, you can tell it's a drive-by-wire car. Like it takes a millisecond to respond but even that small of a time space feels unnatural. Same for the electronic braking. You mash the brakes after a high speed run but that millisecond from input to output feels weird.

This has been a car I love...the last gen and this one. My love affair decreased a little after today.

It is a wonderful car but after getting back into my GS, I didn't feel the CL was 3 times the price in superiority. My car being modded is part of the reason because it now has a luxury ride but my mods have doaled in some sport. The interior of the GS may not be as nice but it isn't far behind.

The price was 85K with 10Kmiles on the odo. One glitch....one of the seat features didn't work properly, the lumber adjustment...so they can take it to the shop. When you think about the famous Benz unreliability, I don't think this car is worth the money but it felt nice to test drive.
Old 04-29-10, 04:07 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTR all the way.
Old 04-29-10, 04:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Boy if I had to list those in order:

1. Audi S5
2. Jaguar XKR
3. Nissan GTR
4. Benz E55 Coupe
5. Nissan 370Z
6. Infiniti G37
Old 04-29-10, 04:10 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say that you'll probably get the luxury you want with the Jaguar XKR. The GTR has a pretty bad interior....
Old 04-29-10, 04:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there is no e55 coupe. from what i see on mbusa homepage, there is no amg for e coupe yet?

but anyway, from your list, gtr for me. but it has next to zero luxury
Old 04-29-10, 04:42 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What the hell is the G37 and 370Z doing on that list? haha Not sure what that E55 coupe on there is all about either. Wouldn't it be an E63 if they even made one? The current CLS is ugly IMO, I used to love the previous version though.

I'd take an XKR, GT-R then S5.
Old 04-29-10, 04:57 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I am thinking aqbout getting a new car. I am a coupe man and my loins ache for one. Here's what's on my radar:
- Audi S5
- Jaguar XKR
- Infiniti G37
- Nissan 370Z
- Nissan GTR
- Benz E55 Coupe
As you all can see, the CL is not on my list because I felt it's just a 2 door S-Class and it's really pricey at 135K. I want to stay under 100K.
I went there to try the E-Class coupe but I was disappointed they only come with panaramic roofs, the interior feels cheaper than I want for a car of this price and the styling didn't seem as nice up close. I didn't even drive it.
Then the salesman said a pre-owned CL would be in the same range as the new E so I tried a CL550.

It is a very stylish car. Curves everywhere, on every surface. ALmost too curvy but a nice kit will flatten it out.
Thje interior is really nice. The wood is the best I've ever seen. The seats really comfy but firm. The car has all kind of tech. WHen making turns the seats grab you to keep from sliding. They massage as you drive. The Nav has voice command. I could go on and on.

The ride is nice. It is a luxury car. On sport setting, it was still a big luxo barge....until you put your foot in it. Then the suspension tightens and you tell yourself to enjoy it buit you never really do. The problem....too much tech. When you mash the gas, you can tell it's a drive-by-wire car. Like it takes a millisecond to respond but even that small of a time space feels unnatural. Same for the electronic braking. You mash the brakes after a high speed run but that millisecond from input to output feels weird.

This has been a car I love...the last gen and this one. My love affair decreased a little after today.

It is a wonderful car but after getting back into my GS, I didn't feel the CL was 3 times the price in superiority. My car being modded is part of the reason because it now has a luxury ride but my mods have doaled in some sport. The interior of the GS may not be as nice but it isn't far behind.

The price was 85K with 10Kmiles on the odo. One glitch....one of the seat features didn't work properly, the lumber adjustment...so they can take it to the shop. When you think about the famous Benz unreliability, I don't think this car is worth the money but it felt nice to test drive.
I've seen you post on M3post. Why not look into getting an M3 Regg? CL Benz is too soft & will be worth $12k by next week. If the M3 is off the list the Jag XKR is a car you will fall in love with
Old 04-29-10, 05:11 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

my top choices would be the S5 and XKR.
Old 04-29-10, 05:23 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I've seen you post on M3post. Why not look into getting an M3 Regg? CL Benz is too soft & will be worth $12k by next week. If the M3 is off the list the Jag XKR is a car you will fall in love with
I really like the M3 but it's a smallish car. I want something with plenty of leg, head and butt room. I also like a bigger sized coupe. I'm a big dude. I don't wanna look and feel like a big sardine in a small can. If I were smaller, the 911 and M3 would be considerations.
Old 04-29-10, 05:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
What the hell is the G37 and 370Z doing on that list? haha Not sure what that E55 coupe on there is all about either. Wouldn't it be an E63 if they even made one? The current CLS is ugly IMO, I used to love the previous version though.

I'd take an XKR, GT-R then S5.
might as well through a used m6 in the batch but i know the car probably doesn't appeal to you
Old 04-29-10, 05:26 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
I really like the M3 but it's a smallish car. I want something with plenty of leg, head and butt room. I also like a bigger sized coupe. I'm a big dude. I don't wanna look and feel like a big sardine in a small can. If I were smaller, the 911 and M3 would be considerations.
What's your price range??? The XKR cost $95K I believe, while the cheapest car in your list cost only $35K.
Old 04-29-10, 05:29 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
might as well through a used m6 in the batch but i know the car probably doesn't appeal to you
I'd buy an M6, not sure about the OP though... haha
Old 04-29-10, 05:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

How could I forget. I'm also considering a Vette C6. One of the best bang for the buck buys out there. Cheap interior but I could always mod that.
Old 04-29-10, 05:45 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

What? No ZDX? It's a coupe too

I like your mini review and agree what you said about the current CL.
I want to like it also but there's nothing about it that I like, except it does have a bigger rear seats than all of those coupes that you mentioned.

Have you tried a CLS???
Old 04-29-10, 05:45 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
What's your price range??? The XKR cost $95K I believe, while the cheapest car in your list cost only $35K.
I thought the base XKR was 75K?

Price range is the best buy under 100K
I'm keeping th GS so this would be a second car.
I'm not in a rush but I'd likie to pull the trigger in the next few months.
I'm just in the "thinking about it" stage right now. Problem is everytime I get to the thinking stage I pull a trigger. That's how I ended up with 2 GS cars....thinking about how cool it might be....and it has been very cool.

Why the G37 and 370Z? They have bang for the buck. Spend 40K to bring it home and that leaves lot's of mod money.
I don't need 500 HP but I do want handling and quickness.

BTW, I didn't mention in my review how slow the 382 HP felt on the Benz CL. I guess it's because the car is so heavy.

Quick Reply: Benz CL550 Mini Review