Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus, BMW now Benz going forward with Carbon Fiber..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 06:01 AM
LexFather

Post Lexus, BMW now Benz going forward with Carbon Fiber..

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/29/f...e-ahead-for-m/

It seem like just a few days ago BMW came forth stating that its use of carbon fiber on upcoming vehicles would become a high-volume deal. Now Green Car Advisor reports that Daimler, never willing to be a step behind, has also announced plans to increase its investment in the material. Daimler has enlisted the help of Toray Industries, a Japanese textile company, to help make carbon fiber body parts for Mercedes-Benz vehicles beginning in 2012. The parts will reduce vehicle weight and help the company meet upcoming CAFE regulations. The first Mercedes product to be adorned with carbon fiber will be the SL-Class.

Daimler choose Toray Industries due to its expertise in carbon fiber. Though not a common name to many, Toray is actually the dominant force in the industry, controlling 34 percent of the global market. This will be Toray's first venture into making car parts out of carbon fiber. The company's current automotive-related experiences with the material has been limited to supplying carbon fiber yarns to Ferrari and various aftermarket companies. Daimler and Toray will work together on development of the carbon fiber reinforced plastic body parts and production will be carried out at a Toray facility in France.

Old 04-30-10, 06:14 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

irony of ironies and most of the auto media won't report that Lexus was first to the CF push...
Old 04-30-10, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
irony of ironies and most of the auto media won't report that Lexus was first to the CF push...
just curious, how was lexus "first"?
Old 04-30-10, 09:13 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
just curious, how was lexus "first"?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...plication.html

I probably used the term first too loosely. I meant first to make a push to introduce CF on more cars, but even with that nothing is out in production yet from any of the companies.
Old 04-30-10, 09:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ic. coz' if we talk about cf use, the slr was way early and it's full cf. bmw use cf on m3 and m6. but then of course, lexus takes cf very seriously with their own r&d and also application on the lfa
Old 04-30-10, 10:02 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

This is besides the point, but is it me or has MB'z high end cars getting uglier by the day
Old 04-30-10, 03:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ic. coz' if we talk about cf use, the slr was way early and it's full cf. bmw use cf on m3 and m6. but then of course, lexus takes cf very seriously with their own r&d and also application on the lfa
Even Honda used Carbon Fiber parts. Not any major structural part, but certain body parts to reduce weight. Of course Ferrari and other exotics had been using them for years as well.
Old 04-30-10, 03:52 PM
LexFather

The difference is that Toyota/Lexus OWNS and DEVELOPS their own CF. They have one of two special weaving machines in the world. Benz is going to use it but still is outsourcing it.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Even Honda used Carbon Fiber parts. Not any major structural part, but certain body parts to reduce weight. Of course Ferrari and other exotics had been using them for years as well.
Where for INtergras? We are discussing Lexus, BMW, Benz here and structural parts. Clearly exotics have used them and Horcio Pagani led the effort when he was with Lamborghini until he developed his own car.

Old 04-30-10, 04:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Why is this just now happening?
Old 04-30-10, 05:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is Carbon fiber crash worthy? I heard that with the after-market CF hoods, in a crash they crack in half instead of bending, and can potentially go right through the windshield.
Old 04-30-10, 07:30 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
Is Carbon fiber crash worthy? I heard that with the after-market CF hoods, in a crash they crack in half instead of bending, and can potentially go right through the windshield.
Let's just say carbon fiber shatters when struck. Makes you feel safe when sitting in a cf chassis.
Old 04-30-10, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Considering F1 drivers crash their CF cars and they live at speeds much faster than what we drive I think engineers are smart enough to figure out where to transfer impact energy. Its not like entire cars are CF.

Old 04-30-10, 07:46 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
i heard that is why you need a hood lock (is that the right term to use?) when you use CF hoods....
Old 04-30-10, 07:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Why is this just now happening?
Had this news been posted 5 years ago, I bet people would still ask the exact same question

Everything comes at a cost. You just have to wait until the technology matures enough to the point where it becomes feasible to mass produce it.
Old 04-30-10, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i heard that is why you need a hood lock (is that the right term to use?) when you use CF hoods....
Who needs those..just mold your hood Honda style

Quick Reply: Lexus, BMW now Benz going forward with Carbon Fiber..