Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes ML test car involved in fatal crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 11:42 AM
LexFather

Post Mercedes ML test car involved in fatal crash

Got tipped off by CDNRockies...

http://autos.sympatico.ca/automotive...in-fatal-crash

April 28th 2010,

A high-speed accident in Germany involving a 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML test car has claimed the life of one man and seriously injured another.

According to German news source Bild, the ML was driving near Stuttgart late Friday night, when it slammed into the back of a Mazda that was stopped at the scene of another accident. The impact from the Mercedes killed the Mazda's owner and seriously injured the driver of the ML, which lost control and rolled down the street for nearly 250 metres.

This is the third fatal accident in Europe in recent years involving test drivers. The federal transport minister in Germany, Peter Ramsauer, suggested test drivers are to blame because they are not acting as they should behind the wheel.

"Test pilots are professional drivers. You must not behave like Rambos, but must still drive as good as any other and respect the traffic regulations," he said. "German roads are not the Nürburgring! I appeal to the auto companies to adopt a test driver for a specific code of conduct with strict rules. "

Old 04-30-10, 11:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

That quote is about the worst translation I've seen in years. Must have been done by a computer.
Old 04-30-10, 12:11 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP to the Mazda's owner and do agree that tougher restriction or high caution whenever doing test drive on public road.
Old 04-30-10, 12:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is tragic, not knowing all the circumstances of this terrible accident.
Old 04-30-10, 01:12 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Sad... deep condolences... I'm not surprised, but I AM surprised this hasn't occured yet on a ED from a driver from the states...
Old 04-30-10, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sad. While we don't know the specific circumstances of this crash, the ultra-high speeds often driven on the German Autobahns (if that was indeed the case?) leave very little room for error, and, of course, tend to magnify the impact force/kinetic energy of any crashes that do occur.

Mercedes used to have an unofficial (and doubtful?) policy that whenever there was a fatal crash, anywhere in the world, involving a M-B product, if possible, a team of factory engineers would be sent to the crash scene (or wherever the wrecked vehicle was taken) and investigate. They would examine the vehicle's wreckage, the bodies (if police/fire units would allow), take notes on what appeared to work properly and what didn't, and take their findings back to headquarters to recommend future improvements. I can't vouch for the rest of the planet (the world, of course, is a pretty big place), but I HAVE seen M-B engineers at some crash sites along the infamous Washington, D.C. Beltway. Their bright, distinctive coats (some blue, some white) with the big Mercedes Tri-Star logo are unmistakable.

This accident, though, was different in two ways. First, it involved an M-B factory test driver....a far different scenario than the typical M-B customer. or driver. Second, it was the Mazda that had the fatality, not the Mercedes. Still, you can bet that, being just a short distance from the factory, the engineers were probably there even before the smoke cleared.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-10 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 04:33 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen an MB accident investigation on I-10 Eastbound just west of Beaumont at the Port Arthur cut-off. Evidently the driver of a new S-Class couldn't make up his mind whether to continue on I-10 or turn south to Port Arthur, so he split the difference - rolling about 150 yards through a grassy strip with a few small trees.

The investigation team of several men in white lab coats and the tri-star logo were rolling up on scene probably an hour after the accident - that must have occurred sometime just before dawn. They were still there several hours later when I returned. They'd picked up all of the junk that used to be a nice new Mercedes, putting the remains on a MB logo'ed flatbed and covering with a tarp. Evidently it was going back to a shop for a full investigation. Sad for the driver and passengers, but a terrific response by MB.
Old 05-01-10, 01:47 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Much props to Mercedes safety. I felt bad the for the people in the Mazda as they didn't stand a chance with inferior safety.

This is pretty much what makes a Benz so desirable by so many people being capable of rolling 250 meters and walk away from it, where in lesser cars it would be impossible to surive.
Old 05-01-10, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I've seen an MB accident investigation on I-10 Eastbound just west of Beaumont at the Port Arthur cut-off. Evidently the driver of a new S-Class couldn't make up his mind whether to continue on I-10 or turn south to Port Arthur, so he split the difference - rolling about 150 yards through a grassy strip with a few small trees.

The investigation team of several men in white lab coats and the tri-star logo were rolling up on scene probably an hour after the accident - that must have occurred sometime just before dawn. They were still there several hours later when I returned. They'd picked up all of the junk that used to be a nice new Mercedes, putting the remains on a MB logo'ed flatbed and covering with a tarp. Evidently it was going back to a shop for a full investigation. Sad for the driver and passengers, but a terrific response by MB.
Sometimes M-B might have to work out some kind of deal with insurance companies for that. Some insurance companies consider a totalled car their property once they've handed over a check for it (depending on who gets the check, if the owner is dead). Of course, if M-B takes the wreckage back to Stutggart or to one of their M-B U.S.A. shops, then the insurance company won't be stuck having to get rid of it themselves.
Old 05-01-10, 04:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes M-B might have to work out some kind of deal with insurance companies for that. Some insurance companies consider a totalled car their property once they've handed over a check for it (depending on who gets the check, if the owner is dead). Of course, if M-B takes the wreckage back to Stutggart or to one of their M-B U.S.A. shops, then the insurance company won't be stuck having to get rid of it themselves.
Yes it's common for the insurance company to determine a price for the totaled car as-is if requested, so it's easy for Mercedes to acquire the totaled car (the Mercedes).

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-01-10 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 03:00 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Sad. While we don't know the specific circumstances of this crash, the ultra-high speeds often driven on the German Autobahns (if that was indeed the case?) leave very little room for error, and, of course, tend to magnify the impact force/kinetic energy of any crashes that do occur.

Mercedes used to have an unofficial (and doubtful?) policy that whenever there was a fatal crash, anywhere in the world, involving a M-B product, if possible, a team of factory engineers would be sent to the crash scene (or wherever the wrecked vehicle was taken) and investigate. They would examine the vehicle's wreckage, the bodies (if police/fire units would allow), take notes on what appeared to work properly and what didn't, and take their findings back to headquarters to recommend future improvements. I can't vouch for the rest of the planet (the world, of course, is a pretty big place), but I HAVE seen M-B engineers at some crash sites along the infamous Washington, D.C. Beltway. Their bright, distinctive coats (some blue, some white) with the big Mercedes Tri-Star logo are unmistakable.

This accident, though, was different in two ways. First, it involved an M-B factory test driver....a far different scenario than the typical M-B customer. or driver. Second, it was the Mazda that had the fatality, not the Mercedes. Still, you can bet that, being just a short distance from the factory, the engineers were probably there even before the smoke cleared.

Check out this video of how Mercedes tests and improves their safety and safety features in their automobiles. I was made aware of this by my wife, a Mercedes fan (she's from Stuttgart after all).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zfSkdEXvrY
Old 05-10-10, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
Check out this video of how Mercedes tests and improves their safety and safety features in their automobiles. I was made aware of this by my wife, a Mercedes fan (she's from Stuttgart after all).

Thanks. An interesting video, but not terribly surprising when you look at the technology that M-B and Volvo have traditionally put into safety. This is just their latest. The military, today, is using remote-controlled vehicles and aircraft for more and more functions, too.

Jay Leno made a funny remark last week that even the crash dummies wouldn't work for Toyota anymore...they all went out on strike.
Old 05-10-10, 03:36 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent vid Dustin! It demonstrates how solid & how well engineered Mercedes vehicles are
Old 05-10-10, 03:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Dustin - cool vid, thanks to your wife.

My wife is also a Mercedes fan (she's from Asia after all).
Old 05-11-10, 01:54 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Thanks. An interesting video, but not terribly surprising when you look at the technology that M-B and Volvo have traditionally put into safety. This is just their latest. The military, today, is using remote-controlled vehicles and aircraft for more and more functions, too.

Jay Leno made a funny remark last week that even the crash dummies wouldn't work for Toyota anymore...they all went out on strike.
Agreed. Military technology also tends to trickle down into other branches, such as the automotive industry in this case.

That scene with the S class half a meter of the ground in mid air was painful to watch!

Quick Reply: Mercedes ML test car involved in fatal crash