Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TSX recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 01:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Acura TSX recall

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._whats_news_us

Honda Motor Co. is recalling about 167,000 Acura TSX sports sedans in the U.S. to replace a power-steering hose that could deteriorate and lead to smoke or fire.

The recall affects the 2004-2008 models of the vehicle with 2.4-liter, 4-cylinder engines, sold in the U.S.

The repair involves the installation of a new power-steering hose, o-ring gasket and fluid, at no cost to the vehicle owner. Owners affected by the recall will be notified starting at the end of May.

A statement from Honda Canada said the Acura recall notice doesn't pertain to any TSX units sold in Canada.

A press release on Acura's Web site said the power-steering hose in the recalled models could prematurely deteriorate due to prolonged exposure to high temperatures, which may cause fluid to leak on a hot exhaust component. It said it has received notice of one such incident resulting in a fire.

The recall comes just two weeks after Honda recalled about 1,850 Acura ZDX vehicles for a potential air-bag problem.

This most recent recall brings the Tokyo-based auto maker's total to nearly 1.2 million in the U.S. since January for problems ranging from airbags that might not deploy and brakes that don't respond well when they are depressed to electric window switches that can catch fire when they get wet.

Honda's recalls still pale in comparison to those made by Toyota Motor Corp., which has recalled more than eight million vehicles worldwide this year to address unintended acceleration problems and a cadre of other concerns.
Old 04-30-10, 01:42 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny that in every article about a recall from ANY manufacturer has the "recalls still pale in comparison to those made by Toyota Motor Corp." disclaimer at the end
Old 04-30-10, 02:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
funny that in every article about a recall from ANY manufacturer has the "recalls still pale in comparison to those made by Toyota Motor Corp." disclaimer at the end
I was hoping for that ugly recall people have been talking about.

Old 04-30-10, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Some Acura dealerships are already doing that, Mike, even without factory-approval. At customer request, they are painting the parrot-beaks black or body-color to make them less-noticeable, or, in some cases, actually replacing the beaks with like-designed (but different-patterned) Honda grilles that will fit in the same space. Sometimes customers insist on this as a condition of accepting delivery (and I can't say I blame them........I'd probably ask for it, too).
Old 04-30-10, 04:58 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We need to start a class action suit against Acura for the pain their styling has brought all of us.
Old 04-30-10, 07:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^^ lol!!!!
Old 05-05-10, 05:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing how a recall in the US doesn't affect models sold in Canada. Is there really a difference in the parts used or what?
Old 05-05-10, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Amazing how a recall in the US doesn't affect models sold in Canada. Is there really a difference in the parts used or what?
A statement from Honda Canada said the Acura recall notice doesn't pertain to any TSX units sold in Canada.

A press release on Acura's Web site said the power-steering hose in the recalled models could prematurely deteriorate due to prolonged exposure to high temperatures, which may cause fluid to leak on a hot exhaust component. It said it has received notice of one such incident resulting in a fire.
My guess, Nextourer (which I admit is mostly speculation) is that because Canada generally has a cooler climate than in the U.S., and underhood temperatures, around the engine, don't get as consistantly hot, the power-steering hoses don't suffer as much heat-related deterioration.
Old 05-05-10, 05:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My guess, Nextourer (which I admit is mostly speculation) is that because Canada generally has a cooler climate than in the U.S., and underhood temperatures, around the engine, don't get as consistantly hot, the power-steering hoses don't suffer as much heat-related deterioration.
So basically even if it's the same part, it won't be recalled because the situation will never happen? What if the driver is a snowbird and drives to Florida?
Old 05-05-10, 06:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
So basically even if it's the same part, it won't be recalled because the situation will never happen? What if the driver is a snowbird and drives to Florida?
His point (although speculation as he mentioned) might be valid, similar to some corrosion-related recalls addressing cars in snowy regions where salt is used on roads.
Old 05-06-10, 08:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
His point (although speculation as he mentioned) might be valid, similar to some corrosion-related recalls addressing cars in snowy regions where salt is used on roads.
Oh I'm not questioning his logic. I'm questioning the manufacturer's logic lol. He certainly touched on a point I did not consider.
Old 05-06-10, 10:26 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I was watching jimmy kimmel last night, and he brought in Honda's recalls

"Honda came out and said that they were recalling vehicles regarding the airbag. WHen toyota officials heard this, they said, " oh the airbags! how could be forget about the airbags""
Old 05-07-10, 08:24 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

This happened to my TSX unfortunately I already replaced it.
Old 05-07-10, 11:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexmenow
This happened to my TSX unfortunately I already replaced it.
The car or the hose?

If it was the hose, did it fail, requiring you to fix it at your expense?
Old 05-07-10, 11:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Toronto is right next door to New York State and the temperatures are no different.

Quick Reply: Acura TSX recall