Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

99 GS300 or 95 LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 02:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The transmission is much better in the 99 GS with the 5-Speed. I think the 95 still uses the old 4 Speed that I had in my 93 SC400. If you can swing a 98+ LS that would be my choice. They have significant upgrades from the 95-97 LS. Upgraded motor to teh 3UZ with 290 HP and 5-Speed trans. Shaved antenna so no more antenna sticking out of the body, HID headlights, Information screen on the cluster instead of by the clock area. Anyway, that is just my preference. For a large car, that trunk really pissed me off. I couldn't even get the large stroller in the trunk. I used to have to carry it around in the back seat.
the 98-00 LS400 has a 1uz, same engine code as all 89-00 1UZ engines, but was upgraded with lightened internals, VVT-i, enhanced timing, and a better tune, as well as the A650e 5spd auto.

having driven both, and owning a '95 LS, i can offer up the following:
-if you care about sheer quality, the LS is almost impossible to beat. fit and finish, drivetrain refinement, and i dare to say reliability are all things the LS is world renowned for. the 2GS300 is a good car, but on these specific things, cannot compare, even with age being a factor. (with the assumption both vehicles are in similar condition)

-if you care about handling dynamics, to the point that it is a deal breaker, buy the 2GS300. it has better steering, and it has a far superior traction control/vehicle stability system that was also found in the 98-00 LS400. point to keep in mind, the LS has a tighter turning circle than the GS, by ~3feet (not a small margin)

-speed: the 2 cars are in a dead heat, with the '95 LS maybe being a hair faster, regardless both cars are listed at over 7seconds to 60, with the LS being 0.5ish seconds faster.

-Practicality: the LS is a bigger car, so you need to be able to deal with a bigger car (parking space and all). It has more interior space than the 2GS, but has a smaller trunk (approx. 1 cubic foot smaller.)

-Safety: Brakes: The LS400 wins, no contest. Brakes so good that both SC and GS owners upgrade to them. Airbags: The 2GS300 has more, it wins. crash ratings: tie(ish)

-fuel economy: Tie- 2GS300: 20/25mpg, early 2LS: 19/26mpg

-Looks: all subjective, imho the 2GS looks modern, but the early 2LS is a classic, and the later (98-00) LS is nearly unbeatable...

both will be good cars, it's important beyond all else to BUY THE CARS WELL! neither car will treat you (or your wallet) well if you buy it poorly maintained.
Old 05-03-10, 06:47 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

95 LS400 For the Win.
Old 05-05-10, 07:01 AM
SemiCircle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your input. I ended up buying the LS. The GS was not as advertised and the LS was. So far I'm really happy with it. Drove it about 450 miles back home after buying it and it was incredibly comfortable even for my tall frame.

One question I have though, when cruising at 80mph or so and I'd let off the gas abruptly to break, its like the transmission hits a little bit. Not positive it's the tranny, could be something with the drivetrain maybe. Anyway, I've heard comments about the shifting of the 2Gen LS being very smooth so it concerns me a little.

Other than that, the car looks amazing, feels amazing and I'm stoked.

Thanks again for your insights!
Old 05-05-10, 08:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a '99 GS would be the second gen, not first.
Oops.....thanks, Paul.

For a moment, I confused the GS with the 1Gen SC, and its stunning looks.. Not enough coffee, I guess.
Old 05-05-10, 11:07 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SemiCircle
Thank you all for your input. I ended up buying the LS. The GS was not as advertised and the LS was. So far I'm really happy with it. Drove it about 450 miles back home after buying it and it was incredibly comfortable even for my tall frame.

One question I have though, when cruising at 80mph or so and I'd let off the gas abruptly to break, its like the transmission hits a little bit. Not positive it's the tranny, could be something with the drivetrain maybe. Anyway, I've heard comments about the shifting of the 2Gen LS being very smooth so it concerns me a little.

Other than that, the car looks amazing, feels amazing and I'm stoked.

Thanks again for your insights!
Congratulations on the purchase. When you lift and the trans "hits," keep an eye on your tachometer. If it dips noticably and then rebounds, I believe it may indicate a vacuum leak or EGR issue and not a trans issue.
Old 05-05-10, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Congratulations on the purchase. When you lift and the trans "hits," keep an eye on your tachometer. If it dips noticably and then rebounds, I believe it may indicate a vacuum leak or EGR issue and not a trans issue.
A number of older Toyota/Lexus products also have a fuel-cutoff when the foot is lifted abruptly from the gas pedal. The injectors shut off fuel and allow a rapid RPM drop until down to around 1000 RPM or so, then start squirting again to prevent an engine stall. The effect, under some circumstances, can be a hiccup-like lurch that some drivers could (?) mistake for the transmission.

I agree with link13.....keep your eyes (if possible) on the tach when this happens. If you see a rapid RPM drop/rebound, and feel a slight lurch, it may not only be a vaccum/EGR issue like he suggests, but the fuel-cutoff activation, which may be normal for your particular car.
Old 05-05-10, 11:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Could be a number of reasons. From my personal experience with the LS that I used to have, you'll gain a lot of smoothness and driveability if you take the time to remove the throttle body, and clean it throughly. And adjust the TPS sensor, which is very sensitive.
Old 05-05-10, 12:25 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the LS purchase. All great cars so I'm sure you will be happy with it. What kind of options does your new LS have? Just wondering.
Old 05-05-10, 06:43 PM
SemiCircle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll watch for the tach next time and I'll look into cleaning the throttle body--thanks for the suggestions.

CK, my LS has everything but the air suspension (which would have been a deal breaker for me).
Old 05-05-10, 06:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out Lexls.com, it had plenty of do-it-yourself tutorials for you car, including throttle body cleaning. Also, check out the LS forum on this site.

One important thing to keep in mind, in 95 LS400 received an upgraded engine, that is interference. What that means for you, is that you have to make sure your timing belt maintenance is up to date. You don't want to risk timing belt breakage, it will cause major damage to the engine.